Outside winter cage for Florida buns?

Discussion in 'Housing and Environment' started by JackieTheLop, Oct 17, 2019.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Oct 17, 2019 #1

JackieTheLop

JackieTheLop

JackieTheLop

So I have an old chicken coop I am not using and I was wondering if it would be okay for the buns to go out there for the winter. The wire run extends about a foot into the ground and it has a coop on it that can have heat lamps hooked up to it if needed. The coldest it gets around here is about 30 degrees. It has hardware cloth all around the run. Including the top. Would this be okay? I can't find anything on housing them in the Florida winter.

2. Oct 17, 2019 #2

Preitler

Preitler

Preitler

Loony bunny guy Supporting Member

Maybe because nobody considers it "winter", regarding rabbits ;)

30F, that's just a little freezing, right? Nothing rabbits couldn't handle when they are out there before it starts to get cold (so they grow the right fur). Actually, I think they rather enjoy temperatures like that. I start taking extra measures when it goes below -10°C, like shielding some of the wire doors of their hutches, but even then you'll never see them in their comfy, warm hidy houses, so it's mostly for my peace of mind.

Only issue is water, when it's freezing you'll need to fill their crocks twice a day (the spouts of bottles freeze really fast), I installed a simple electric heating. But when the water is under a roof, at -1°C it probable wont freeze anyway.

Can't tell if hardware cloth is up to the task to keep your local predators out.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    JackieTheLop likes this.
  3. Oct 17, 2019 #3

Katie

Katie

Katie

I personally would stay away from using a heat lamp it could easily over heat the rabbit. Also if the power went out or malfunctioned the rabbit is now dependent on the heat. I would be careful of the rabbit eating or chewing at the cloth as well. Depending what can get into your yard if the coop is made of chicken wire and not something stronger it might not hold up to predators. Best of Luck.

4. Oct 17, 2019 #4

JackieTheLop

JackieTheLop

JackieTheLop

Sorry. By hardware cloth I mean heavy duty wire. I always thought it was called that lol. Okay. I'll keep the lamps off.

5. Oct 18, 2019 #5

majorv

majorv

majorv

Supporting Member

The rabbits can handle 30F but do need protection from cold north winds.

6. Oct 18, 2019 #6

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Supporting Member

You are correct. It is called hardware cloth and that hardware cloth is much much sturdier than chicken wire. Hardware cloth is predator proof.

JackieTheLop likes this.
  7. Oct 18, 2019 #7

Katie

Katie

Katie

Well I learned something new.:)