Outside bunny butts, how do you keep them clean?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyrul

Reaction score
We recently had to move, our house was foreclosed on :( being unable to find housing for our large family of 10, we moved in with my mom.
I never realized how freaking small our 3 bedroom house was when I was a kid but it's tiny. Being here has been a mixed blessing for all involved as Mom needs financial help and we need a place to recover.
Since house is small and not bunny proof, we moved our 3 bonded buns and Squish, (whole 2 of the 3 hated lol) on the lanai. The bonded trio were first kept in the 8' play pen. Squish's crate on the other side of the patio. Squish usually had her crate door opened and quickly adapted to the doggy door to yard ( I think she has discovered the doggy door for house now). When cleaning the patio and cages, we noticed the diva bun was no longer aggressive to the passive squish, who is 3x the trio's sizes. So we moved the cages next to each other. Diva Nutmeg ans Squish started laying together, then Nutmeg started grooming her. I almost cried with joy, very embarrassing. Now all 4 buns have full run of the patio. Only Squish uses the doggy door freely.
now our problem is: 2 of the buns, white of course have dirty matted bottoms. Not poop or pee matted, just lack of grooming and wet grass/ dirt. It is icky. What do I do?
Cheryl

im not sure? i would just brush their bums once in a while maybe! if you gave them a bum bath it would just get muddy again. best wishes!!!

Sounds like you might have to start cleaning them once or twice a day. Maybe try trimming the hair so it doesn't get too matted? Cute buns!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

It's to only happen to Curly, who has rex fur and Squish, who has medium length but thick and dense fur. Squish is matted, Curly is dirty.

Cheryl

If they are dirty as in stained, you can use cornstarch or perioxide and you can rub the stains out with those(make it appear white) it will not cause harm to the hocks. With the mats I usually recommend clipping the area. Just keep the area clipped so they can't mat up. be careful make sure to leave enough room so you aren't going to cut the skin. Mats can be painful for a rabbit if it gets bad enough it would be like a constant pinching on the rabbits skin.

You could just keep their fur trimmed on their bottoms to prevent matting and such. My rabbits are outside in a playpen in the grass during the day and they don't seem to get dirty. Most rabbits like to be clean and will keep themselves clean, your rabbits may just be lazy :)

my bunnys feet and bum gets a bit dirty from her playing in the grass when its raining. I give it a good clean with either some warm water and just wipe, or once it was really matted and i had to brush her tail out and any excess hair, cut a few bits (be very careful not to snip too close to sensitive areas!) and gave a wipe with some baby wipes! it done the job :)

She wasn't impressed though!

I think I got call mid post or something.
Squishes has been using the doggy door to come inside the house. This was my motivation to clean her bottom and trim. Althought she looks very relaxed in this pic, she still not "speaking" to me, it has been about 5 hours lol.

Cheryl

1378879602211.jpg

Latest posts

Back