Outdoor rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bville

Reaction score
My 2 rabbits are 9 years old and have always lived outdoors in hutches on our deck in upstate NY. We take really good care of them and they have survived all these years in a 4 season climate without any problems. I am looking for a pet sitter for them, but I'm afraid people will judge us and think its cruel and possibly report us to animal control for abuse because the rabbits are outside. Has anyone ever had that happen to them? Am I just being paranoid?

Honestly, it's sad to say but NY especially it is normal to do that. Many people in NY don't understand that it's best to keep them inside especially if you live in a country area. I live in The Hudson Valley, and I have only met 1 other person (a breeder who I got one of my buns from) that thought bunnies should be indoor pets. But besides that I wouldn't worry, you can always explain that to them as well! Also where are you located if you're close o me I may be able to pet sit for you, (if in reasonable range of course!)

Thanks KayDai for your reply and the offer to pet sit. I live near Syracuse, so I think that's a little too far away from the Hudson Valley.

That'S wiered. Rabbit are outdoor animals, keeping them indoors is possible, but a rather new fad.

So, whoever you're talking to, keep your Common Sense Indicator on. No point wasting time with lunatics. But in my experience (very different to NY or any city) all my pet keepers were glad that I make a thorough walk around, label as much as is worth labeling, prepare everything and engrain that they call me if any question should arsise.

That'S wiered. Rabbit are outdoor animals, keeping them indoors is possible, but a rather new fad.

So, whoever you're talking to, keep your Common Sense Indicator on. No point wasting time with lunatics. But in my experience (very different to NY or any city) all my pet keepers were glad that I make a thorough walk around, label as much as is worth labeling, prepare everything and engrain that they call me if any question should arsise.
Thank you Preitler! I will definitely give the pet sitter a thorough walk around. As an aside, I live in upstate NY, not NY City. NY is more than the city, more than 54,000 square miles of rural land, suburban towns and villages, and smaller cities!

Thanks KayDai for your reply and the offer to pet sit. I live near Syracuse, so I think that's a little too far away from the Hudson Valley.
We may be (kind of) neighbors soon, as I'm moving to Rochester in 2-3 months..

Latest posts

Back