Outdoor Enclosures

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunnyBabbit

Reaction score
I typically wouldn't recommend an outdoor cage because most people buy small hutches which I believe are too small, not very safe from predators, and exposed to harsh weather. Not to mention its hardest to bond.
But, not everyone can keep their rabbit inside. So, I've been looking for some ideas. Ideally, something closest to having them inside (safe from weather and predators, plenty of space to play, and safe flooring). And it would be great if it was inexpensive.
Also, my parents have allowed me to get a rabbit (or two), but they'd have to be outside. I'll save up for however much I'll need for it.
I've talked with then a lot about proper rabbit care (before even thinking about getting one) and they understand that I can't and won't just put them in a little hutch, so we would get them something large and safe.

Any ideas?

Sheds and dog kennels make great outdoor enclosures for rabbits. Outdoor housing is quite common here in the UK (actually more common than indoor ones). Here are some (a lot) of my favourites - found on Instagram! I’d also check out pinterest! @Mariam+Theo has an outdoor bunny so they could probably give advice

Attachments

• FB73B9EB-69DD-446B-A8E7-AC293CFD587A.jpeg
    FB73B9EB-69DD-446B-A8E7-AC293CFD587A.jpeg
    441.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 73729A1B-EC6E-4B33-A9EB-7394B2E1A7D6.jpeg
    73729A1B-EC6E-4B33-A9EB-7394B2E1A7D6.jpeg
    471 KB · Views: 16
  • 3038EBB0-D958-4836-A99E-330248AE53E9.png
    3038EBB0-D958-4836-A99E-330248AE53E9.png
    927.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 38719E74-2828-43EB-B2E8-66E0F9555BCC.png
    38719E74-2828-43EB-B2E8-66E0F9555BCC.png
    813.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 71BEE5CA-A861-42B7-AF02-834C6C31C82D.png
    71BEE5CA-A861-42B7-AF02-834C6C31C82D.png
    816.1 KB · Views: 19
  • B8C43637-EAB3-45CA-9DDB-83122700FAFB.jpeg
    B8C43637-EAB3-45CA-9DDB-83122700FAFB.jpeg
    616 KB · Views: 23
  • EB4CE71F-143A-44DF-907C-6ED840F20B0E.png
    EB4CE71F-143A-44DF-907C-6ED840F20B0E.png
    724.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 95D75255-91FF-4389-A490-47A06AE59BE0.png
    95D75255-91FF-4389-A490-47A06AE59BE0.png
    750.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Sheds and dog kennels make great outdoor enclosures for rabbits. Outdoor housing is quite common here in the UK (actually more common than indoor ones). Here are some (a lot) of my favourites - found on Instagram! I’d also check out pinterest! @Mariam+Theo has an outdoor bunny so they could probably give advise
Thank you so much!
I love all the light coming in with that first one

You've probably already seen it, but for those who visit this thread, they may want to know that there is a thread on RO for people to post photos of their outdoor enclosures.

Here it is:
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/outdoor-cages-post-your-photo.96732/#post-1162644
There is also a pinterest site I often recommend. Actually they are "twin" sites -- one is "the wall of fame" showcasing appropriate housing, and the other is "the wall of shame" showcasing commonly used outdoor housing that is completely (sometimes surprisingly) inappropriate.

100+ Rabbit Housing - Wall of Fame! ideas | bunny house, rabbit, rabbit hutches

70+ Rabbit Housing - Wall of SHAME! ideas | rabbit, rabbit hutches, rabbit cages

I totally understand that you can't have an indoor rabbit, my parents wouldn't let Theo move inside either. Because of that, I have figured out how to give him a nice enclosure in our shed to keep him safe from predators. He also gets 2+ hours of playtime per day. I have a rug on the floor in the winter to keep him warm, and in the summer I leave the floor concrete so he stays cool. I do hope to soon build several shelves attached to the wall to give him some more room to play around. I have attached a picture of his playpen from a couple of weeks ago, since then I have changed some stuff up so it is way cuter, but you get a general idea.

If you are going to house the rabbits outside, I recommend getting two rabbits so they can have company. I didn't get two rabbits at the beginning and my parents won't allow me to get another rabbit right now, so I spend lots of time with Theo so that he won't get bored. I suggest getting an already bonded pair from a rescue near you. I don't know where you are located in Florida, but I found some that might be nearby that you can adopt from. Adopting is way better than buying from a breeder because the rabbits are already spayed/neutered so you can skip the hormonal age, vet checked, and sometimes bonded with other rabbits so they will never be lonely.
https://fortwilbur.wixsite.com/fwrrhttp://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/hare.htmlhttp://www.gainesvillerabbitrescue.org/http://orlandorabbit.org/https://tbhrr.org/https://www.petfinder.com/member/us/fl/naples/southwest-florida-house-rabbit-rescue-fl1441/

Attachments

• New rug.jpg
    New rug.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 6
  • So clean! If only it would stay this way....jpg
    So clean! If only it would stay this way....jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 6
I totally understand that you can't have an indoor rabbit, my parents wouldn't let Theo move inside either. Because of that, I have figured out how to give him a nice enclosure in our shed to keep him safe from predators. He also gets 2+ hours of playtime per day. I have a rug on the floor in the winter to keep him warm, and in the summer I leave the floor concrete so he stays cool. I do hope to soon build several shelves attached to the wall to give him some more room to play around. I have attached a picture of his playpen from a couple of weeks ago, since then I have changed some stuff up so it is way cuter, but you get a general idea.

If you are going to house the rabbits outside, I recommend getting two rabbits so they can have company. I didn't get two rabbits at the beginning and my parents won't allow me to get another rabbit right now, so I spend lots of time with Theo so that he won't get bored. I suggest getting an already bonded pair from a rescue near you. I don't know where you are located in Florida, but I found some that might be nearby that you can adopt from. Adopting is way better than buying from a breeder because the rabbits are already spayed/neutered so you can skip the hormonal age, vet checked, and sometimes bonded with other rabbits so they will never be lonely.
https://fortwilbur.wixsite.com/fwrrhttp://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/hare.htmlhttp://www.gainesvillerabbitrescue.org/http://orlandorabbit.org/https://tbhrr.org/https://www.petfinder.com/member/us/fl/naples/southwest-florida-house-rabbit-rescue-fl1441/
Thank you for all the info!
I'll definitely be getting a bonded pair from a rescue. I've been keeping my eye on the Tampa rescue. There are also two south of us at an ATV and rv park.

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/neglected-rabbits-in-need-of-rescue.100250/
I doubt that they're fixed, but I'll do that.

I'll probably bring them I sometimes to free roam in my room too. And they can have some playtime outside (in a pen under very close supervision).

I'm going to look for a cooling system for them as well. It gets hot and muggy here, so I'll be sure they stay nice and cool.

I doubt that they're fixed, but I'll do that.

I'll probably bring them I sometimes to free roam in my room too. And they can have some playtime outside (in a pen under very close supervision).

I'm going to look for a cooling system for them as well. It gets hot and muggy here, so I'll be sure they stay nice and cool.
It sounds like you are still living at home, not sure of your age or if you have a job (means of income), but only see that you are "saving up."

I just wanted to put a measure of honesty in this planning. The outdoor enclosures you're looking at don't come cheap. Hopefully you or someone you know has some building skills. A cooling system isn't cheap either but would be necessary in muggy Florida! Rabbits can die of heatstroke in temps over 85F (or 80F if humid).

Both of those projects will take time. The whole setup should be built and fully functional before getting any rabbits. They stress with change (especially moving to a new home), so it's important that everything is setup and ready to go before actually getting any rabbits.

You also mentioned that you definitely want to get an already bonded pair from a rescue. That's great -- ideal actually. But then you mentioned that you doubt the Tampa ones are fixed but that you would have them neutered. Please understand that if rabbits are not fixed, they are not bonded. If you have to neuter them, then they are not bonded. That means that after they are fixed, you would have to try to bond them. They may bond. They may not. If not, then you'll have to have a separate housing for the other one.

I would strongly urge you to only get already fixed rabbits. If they aren't fixed, they are not bonded, and there are no guarantees that they will bond after being fixed. Also, it will take lots of time and money to fix and bond intact rabbits. They have to be old enough to get fixed (so they have to be housed separately until they are old enough). Then, after being fixed, they have to remain separated for 6-8 weeks after surgery (males). So that's another 2 months of being separated. Then you have to go through a bonding process which can take months. In addition to all that, spays and neuters for rabbits can be expensive. You'll have to ask local vets, but in my area a spay is $250. I've seen the costs as high as in the $400s.

So when you check local rescues, be sure you get already fixed rabbits that are bonded. Also, it's best to be sure their entire enclosure is built and ready before bringing them home.

It sounds like you are still living at home, not sure of your age or if you have a job (means of income), but only see that you are "saving up."

I just wanted to put a measure of honesty in this planning. The outdoor enclosures you're looking at don't come cheap. Hopefully you or someone you know has some building skills. A cooling system isn't cheap either but would be necessary in muggy Florida! Rabbits can die of heatstroke in temps over 85F (or 80F if humid).

Both of those projects will take time. The whole setup should be built and fully functional before getting any rabbits. They stress with change (especially moving to a new home), so it's important that everything is setup and ready to go before actually getting any rabbits.

You also mentioned that you definitely want to get an already bonded pair from a rescue. That's great -- ideal actually. But then you mentioned that you doubt the Tampa ones are fixed but that you would have them neutered. Please understand that if rabbits are not fixed, they are not bonded. If you have to neuter them, then they are not bonded. That means that after they are fixed, you would have to try to bond them. They may bond. They may not. If not, then you'll have to have a separate housing for the other one.

I would strongly urge you to only get already fixed rabbits. If they aren't fixed, they are not bonded, and there are no guarantees that they will bond after being fixed. Also, it will take lots of time and money to fix and bond intact rabbits. They have to be old enough to get fixed (so they have to be housed separately until they are old enough). Then, after being fixed, they have to remain separated for 6-8 weeks after surgery (males). So that's another 2 months of being separated. Then you have to go through a bonding process which can take months. In addition to all that, spays and neuters for rabbits can be expensive. You'll have to ask local vets, but in my area a spay is $250. I've seen the costs as high as in the $400s.

So when you check local rescues, be sure you get already fixed rabbits that are bonded. Also, it's best to be sure their entire enclosure is built and ready before bringing them home.
Thanks for all the great advice!

The rescue in Tampa has all their rabbits fixed, irs just the two at the RTV camp that probably aren't. I'm not even sure if I can rescue those.

This won't be for a while. Not until we move and get settled in. And we still aren't sure if we're going to do that or where quite yet. I just ouke to plan very far ahead.
I'll save up for everything and set everything up probably weeks in advance before getting any rabbits.

I want to build them the nicest "rabbit cottage" possible, and I'm aware of the costs. I just want them to be happy

If I do end up getting the ones at the ATV camp I'll take the time and money to get them fixed and bond them.

I currently don't have a job but I'm starting to make and sell pet clothes and accessories on Etsy, and we'll be getting poultry and other livestock to make some money off of.
I know a few people that can help with building stuff too.

My grandparents are fine with pet sitting, I talk with them about rabbit care all the time, and I'll have detailed instructions for whenever we do go on vacation.

I'll look at local farms that sell hay once we move.
They'll have fresh veggies from their own garden too.

Hi! I’m still living at home myself, and only working weekends. However, I totally agree with @Blue eyes in that these set ups do not come cheap. I am in australia, so the things we have available are slightly different to what you guys have, however my bunnies hutch has cost me a lot of money. I too, would also recommend already fixed bunnies, into my for the cost, but the stress that comes with helping them recover too. Hopefully this helps you!

Thanks for all the great advice!

The rescue in Tampa has all their rabbits fixed, irs just the two at the RTV camp that probably aren't. I'm not even sure if I can rescue those.

This won't be for a while. Not until we move and get settled in. And we still aren't sure if we're going to do that or where quite yet. I just ouke to plan very far ahead.
I'll save up for everything and set everything up probably weeks in advance before getting any rabbits.

I want to build them the nicest "rabbit cottage" possible, and I'm aware of the costs. I just want them to be happy

If I do end up getting the ones at the ATV camp I'll take the time and money to get them fixed and bond them.

I currently don't have a job but I'm starting to make and sell pet clothes and accessories on Etsy, and we'll be getting poultry and other livestock to make some money off of.
I know a few people that can help with building stuff too.

My grandparents are fine with pet sitting, I talk with them about rabbit care all the time, and I'll have detailed instructions for whenever we do go on vacation.

I'll look at local farms that sell hay once we move.
They'll have fresh veggies from their own garden too.

I love it when people plan ahead and are thoughtful about preparing for a new pet!

Glad to hear you are doing just that. :)

Just to emphasize one point, if you get 2 rabbits that are not fixed & bonded, it is very possible that they won't bond - even after being fixed. Rabbits can sometimes be difficult to bond and sometimes 2 rabbits simply refuse to get along. (It's happened to me more than once.) It isn't good for outdoor rabbits to be single. So, again, I'd urge you to focus more on an already bonded (&already fixed) pair.

After looking at tons of photos I think it'll look something like this.
A big room with big windows, tons of toys and tunnels and hidey houses, with a huge (predator proof) run with eeven more tunnels and hiding spots.
Screenshot_20201219-160755_Pinterest.jpgScreenshot_20201219-160844_Pinterest.jpgScreenshot_20201219-160825_Pinterest.jpg

Latest posts

Back