Our Clan...now & always..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newblue002.jpg

Oats are YUMMY

Newblue004.jpg

What? I didnt do it!

Newblue006.jpg

You dare take my picture you lowly human!!

Newblue007.jpg

THIS! Is my bed...

Newblue009.jpg

Awww mom...but I like it here!

Newblue010.jpg

Fine,...I'll get down :(

Newblue011.jpg

MEANIE!

Newblue012.jpg

NO! I am not going to talk to you...sniff...

Newblue013.jpg

You actually put me in a strawberry shortcake towel? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND!

Newblue015.jpg

I like the couch!

Newblue016.jpg

I sit where ever mom was sitting....hahahahaha

Newblue017.jpg

I CLAIM THIS....DOUGAL LAND! MINE!

Newblue019.jpg

No, really...I am KING HERE!

Newblue021.jpg

Can't make me!!!

Newblue023.jpg

I will go anywhere I want to, but NOT where YOU want me to...

Newblue024.jpg

NO!!!

Newblue027.jpg

Sigh...but ,...well...FINE

Newblue029.jpg

If it will make you smile....

Newblue030.jpg

HELLO! HELLO TO MY PERSONAL ANGEL!!!!

Newblue033.jpg

DO I MESS WITH YOUR FEET WOMAN!!!

Newblue036.jpg

Well..at least you hid cinderellas face...how embarressing..

Newblue039.jpg

Ha...I will pee here! THIS IS MINE! STAY OUT!

Newblue043.jpg

Leave me alone man...my pain meds are kicking in...Oh yeah...

Newblue042.jpg

Have you tried offering some of the CC in it's dish on it's own? Some bunnies will eat it that way and prefer it to pellets.

It sounds like you are making improvements. Sure him biting isn't good, but I wouldn't be super concerned at this point. He's probably pretty cranky.

Are you using the corner/triangle litter pans? While I like that they are high in the back, Behr would just pee over the front anyway. I use deep cat litterboxes.

When he misses (intentionally), I wipe it up with paper towel, toilet paper (whatever) and put it in his box. He's gotten quite a bit better - although he is also fixed.

kahlin wrote:
Have you tried offering some of the CC in it's dish on it's own? Some bunnies will eat it that way and prefer it to pellets.

It sounds like you are making improvements. Sure him biting isn't good, but I wouldn't be super concerned at this point. He's probably pretty cranky.

Are you using the corner/triangle litter pans? While I like that they are high in the back, Behr would just pee over the front anyway. I use deep cat litterboxes.

When he misses (intentionally), I wipe it up with paper towel, toilet paper (whatever) and put it in his box. He's gotten quite a bit better - although he is also fixed.

Yeah..I have tried to trick him in many ways...he isnt having it...

I use kitty pans...all sizes shapes, lengths, heights etc..., no corner pans...didnt see the point in buying any when he will out grow whatever I could buy fast..

Again though he is only 9 weeks old...I do not expect miracles...but I swear I really think he is doing it on purpose...cause he was on my bed...jumped into the tiny pan, peed without going over the edge and hopped back out....So I think he gets it...ya know..

Oh - I LOVE LOVE LOVE all of those photos...there are a couple that I love more than the others - like the one where he talks about how dare you take his photo...but he is SOOOO photogenic...

I'm so happy he's feeling better!

Just seeing the pictures now. Cute. Thanks for sharing.

He's eating oats but not his pellets? Are they the same kind of pellets he had before you got him? (just throwing out some ideas).

For feeding CC, I find it easier to roll the bunny up into a burrito, and position him/her between my right arm (I'm right handed) and the side of my body. I keep his/her head around my shoulder, with the bum angled down towards my lower back and the floor. I know Dougal is a bit bigger than what I'm used to though, so I'm not sure it would work. We're all different though. Again, just throwing stuff out there.

I think we were posting close together which is why I didn't see the pictures - which would have answered my question about the litterboxes! Oops. :)

I believe I use a size up from what you've got. I don't need to with Finley, but Behr likes to go really high or something. He's a silly one.

And I know what you mean by being exhausted. It's so hard to care for a sick bun. I was lucky that when Finley got sick I was at my mom's and she did the first morning feeding. I don't think she ever got much in (less experienced) but it was nice break.

I was so tired I was weepy all of the time. I hope things continue to improve so you can get some rest. :)

Keep up the good work! He's coming around! Pellets mixed with cecals is a good sign.. You'll know he's all better when the smell changes.

It's not the end of the world for him to miss a midnight feeding. As long as he is gettting fed during the day... it will keep his gut moving and that is the most important thing.

Well thanks all!!

I do have to say I love snapping shots of him! Though Angelina is the one who took all but like 2 of the pictures from that Sunday trip...all the ones where Sarah is holding him...Lina took those. She is pretty good honestly for an 8 year old...she loves taking pictures.

We ran out today..few errands...we were gone awhile...Got back in the door..and it did look like he had pushed his pellets around some...but his water looked untouched..

I am hearing VERY loud noises coming from him at random times. I have resumed the gas drops just in case..and while I am NO bun expert...his stomach seems too round, and out...

I fed him once again...got 30cc down with a fight...

I feed
http://www.mannapro.com/rabbit.htm

I wish I had been able to get the mana gro now though being he is go young, but they did not sell it anyway.
Random note...did you know a 50 pound bag of oxbow timothy pellets costs about 78 bucks :)
The receptionist at the vet was promoted oxbow and trying to get me away from the dark side ya know...but...BA...
Tried the Brome hay with him...same result...nibble nibble..walk away.
Not a whole lot of poo since the first round of clean up this morning..but he is pooing..and that is what is important for the moment....
Those really are some seriously loud tummy noises...hmmm

I got the Albon down him...and was glad I decided to give it at different times, as it would seem...you are not supposed to give it WITH the bio Sponge..which may I add is impossible to give the way it is..you really need to measure it out and stick it in some CC or something...crap is like clay...and even though in his mouth...swallowing it? yeah....

I can see now just how not well he must have been feeling to, if he would not fight about anything...to see just how much a fuss he makes now...
24 hours...made a huge difference...

I put out a 1/4 cup of his pellets..So if he starts eating...I will have an idea how much he got down...

I am hoping he starts eating ok by tomorrow night...doing this and trying to work, get her to school and everything..way stressful...

He stays hidden on his shelf quite a bit now...I put up another cube to try to make him feel like...this is mine and I am safe here ya know...

I asked the vet to order one of those oxbow xtra large bunny huts....they said it would be like 30 bucks..but I thought what a nice all well present it will make..I wonder though how long would it last him...

I noticed and seriously thought...that all the items in the pets stores, and even the vets office are not geared or even close for a big bun like what Dougal should grow to be...I do not think it very fair to make all sorts of crap for little guys and not a whole lot for the big ones...I suppose I will have to get creative...

Have that headache behind my eyes again...I wonder if something is off my with script..(glasses)..

Need to go make dinner..

I have nothing to do tomorrow except take care of Lina and Dougal...feed and medicate everyone lol...and wait for EAST ENDERS! I wish it came on more like 9 and 9:30 though...
News said it is suppose to be nice tomorrow...sunny and all...

Question for Cathy and Peg...

At what point, with what SIGNS he would give me do you think it would be ok to stop the CC and SubQ?
I have seen him drink and nibble and even still he lost that much weight with in such a short time...
I am supposed to give the SubQ for 5 more days..and the CC till he eats on his own...how much does he need to be eating on his own to stop the CC?

(Kirby)...The Breeder had him on a bag that just said rabbit food..nothing with amounts or ingredients...So I switched since I didnt feel he needed to be on that..and I doubt I could locate here anyway...being that he will be such a big boy...I decided that the ManaPro was the best route to go...

(He is digging at Strawberry Shortcake Towel)...I think it offends him...LOL..
Poor boy living in a womans household... :)

You can stop the CC when you see him eat up all the 1/4 cup pellets and ask for more! Keep up the Albon... you're doing great!

As far as the woman at the vets trying to get you to feed a timothy based pellet... DON'T! He is not your average rabbit, the Flemish do not grow like other bunnies. When he is feeling better, he will gain weight at the rate of over apound a month... (RIGHT, PEG???? LOL!) They NEED the higher protein in an alfalfa based pellet. I free feed (all they want-on demand) all my Flemish a 16-17% protein, alfalfa based pellet until they are over 12 months of age. (Then I keep them on the same pellet, just may limit amounts or push more hay, based on weight and condition).

Hmmm... do you think the headache is from stress or lack of sleep???? :?

None of my kids would argue with her! :roflmao:

First of all - you don't need the Manna Gro because that is more for a nursing mom and her litter. What you got is the same thing mine are eating (mixed in with other pellets) and they're doing just fine.

I agree with Cathy as far as when to stop the critical care....once he's eating on his own and asking for more. As far as the fluids...that's a tougher call and I was hoping Cathy would answer it before me!

I went to the drug dosage calculator I use and they said for a 5 pound rabbit (I put it in there high so I'd make sure he'd get enough fluids) - that he needs 138 ml (cc) of water per day total...

Now a cup is 236 ml.....so if he is drinking 1/2 cup or more of water PER DAY - then I'd say you could discontinue the fluids.

As far as the Oxbow bunny hut - I have no idea what that is....sorry! Zeus has finally started using (and loving) his dog bed that we got him...as long as we're not around to see him using it that is...when we walk in - he hops out....or if I wake up and he's in it - he hops out quickly.

THe one thing I want to point out is that even though he's feeling miserable - you MUST correct him for biting you or Lina. That is NOT acceptable - even if he's sick. He needs to learn that now - while he's smaller...

Say "No" in a loud voice and push his head down lightly to make him submit. If a rabbit is really bad - I will LIGHTLY tap them on the nose with one finger as I say "no" and hold their head down a bit longer so they know how upset I am.

Trust me - you have to be the one in charge even now because when he hits 15 pounds or so - he needs to already see you as the boss.

Just reading through. I HATE having to do medical stuff but it has to be done. Though my weirdest thing was ice pack on Gabriels umm privates.

JadeIcing wrote:
Just reading through. I HATE having to do medical stuff but it has to be done. Though my weirdest thing was ice pack on Gabriels umm privates.
That must have been..difficult...Can not imagine he sat still for that...

Orchid wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:
That must have been..difficult...Can not imagine he sat still for that...
He did but he is such a good little guy. I think he knew if it wasn't for me he wouldn't be here.:biggrin2:

BlueGiants wrote:
You can stop the CC when you see him eat up all the 1/4 cup pellets and ask for more! Keep up the Albon... you're doing great!

As far as the woman at the vets trying to get you to feed a timothy based pellet... DON'T! He is not your average rabbit, the Flemish do not grow like other bunnies. When he is feeling better, he will gain weight at the rate of over apound a month... (RIGHT, PEG???? LOL!) They NEED the higher protein in an alfalfa based pellet. I free feed (all they want-on demand) all my Flemish a 16-17% protein, alfalfa based pellet until they are over 12 months of age. (Then I keep them on the same pellet, just may limit amounts or push more hay, based on weight and condition).

Hmmm... do you think the headache is from stress or lack of sleep???? :?

Gotcha on the CC...

Oh I was not listening any how..they were trying to give me stuff for a full grown flemish...and I had to point out he is still a babe...(had a bit of extra money come my way via the x hub...and I went back to the vets this morning)...

I picked up more bene, critical care...and that was what clued me off...she was like, the apple only comes in this size and you need the large...I was like, um no I dont and he likes the apple so I do notcare what size it comes in...4oz for 12 bucks..ouch...Bene for 14...ouch...picked up 2 more bags of hay as well...we were there right? Buh bye money lol...

Anyway I didnt much care for the woman,...I called ahead, asked her what I needed to, spelled our name for her and said we were just there yesterday...and yet when I got there..she couldnt find my file or spell my name right...OKAAY!!!! She was telling me to take him off the Alfalfa at 6 months etc...I nodding nicely, smiled sweetly and waited to get all my crap and leave...People have good intentions..but do not always know what they are talking about...like I was told to give him a full gram of bene yesterday by the doc and the tech...today they had it printed, something like .25.....UM NO...I have actually considered calling the manager of the practice and mentioning that they should school their people to have the same general ideas, read the files that are right in front of them..and not talk about things they are not really exp. in....This woman...I was not impressed by...BUT I liked the doctor..and that is the important thing...

Anywho...

He has been fighting me harder to not eat the CC...but he is not eating enough pellets...but if I am filling him up on CC why would he eat? How does one walk that fine line?

I am dreading 9pm....du du du dum...SUBQ..no fun...seriously I think I need to take like 4 Klonopins before I try to give him fluids again...I HATE IT!

He has been sitting on his shelf...his butt pressed up to the wall...Have not seen him doing much of anything...brought him out and gave some more gas drops...those noises in the tummy are scaring me...They are so loud..like really loud...like I am 6 feet away and I am like WHAT...was that you? Tried to touch the tum, give a rub...he didnt like that...bit at me...bugger...but when I started petting him he started licking my sweater lol...

Angelina said she saw him at his pellets earlier...we are seeing more and more solid poos...some smushy stuff still..but not nasty smushy or smelly..

TinysMom wrote:
First of all - you don't need the Manna Gro because that is more for a nursing mom and her litter. What you got is the same thing mine are eating (mixed in with other pellets) and they're doing just fine.

I agree with Cathy as far as when to stop the critical care....once he's eating on his own and asking for more. As far as the fluids...that's a tougher call and I was hoping Cathy would answer it before me!

I went to the drug dosage calculator I use and they said for a 5 pound rabbit (I put it in there high so I'd make sure he'd get enough fluids) - that he needs 138 ml (cc) of water per day total...

Now a cup is 236 ml.....so if he is drinking 1/2 cup or more of water PER DAY - then I'd say you could discontinue the fluids.

As far as the Oxbow bunny hut - I have no idea what that is....sorry! Zeus has finally started using (and loving) his dog bed that we got him...as long as we're not around to see him using it that is...when we walk in - he hops out....or if I wake up and he's in it - he hops out quickly.

THe one thing I want to point out is that even though he's feeling miserable - you MUST correct him for biting you or Lina. That is NOT acceptable - even if he's sick. He needs to learn that now - while he's smaller...

Say "No" in a loud voice and push his head down lightly to make him submit. If a rabbit is really bad - I will LIGHTLY tap them on the nose with one finger as I say "no" and hold their head down a bit longer so they know how upset I am.

Trust me - you have to be the one in charge even now because when he hits 15 pounds or so - he needs to already see you as the boss.

SCREAMS! I HATE HATE HATE when I lose my connection and everything I typed...

He has been eating from his dish so I think I am going to skip the 8pm feed...

One of the last things I had typed a minute ago was I wish I would see him eating more of his hay...and he just jumped into the litter pan and started munching...perhaps they can not just understand you when you speak..lmao

This is the Bun hut...

http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=1593

I am giving 80cc of fluids per day...leaves him what...60 to make up on his own? I am hoping things perk up...

I hate having to fight him with all this...SO NOT FUN...and being 15 pounds...lord.

(He peed in the pan!)

He did this wiggle jiggle thing up on the shelf...he was drinking and grooming..which is funny cause he totters when he trys to clean his ears...anyway he did this thing that reminds me of a dog shaking off water and he has this cute poofy fluff tail..rather long..It was super cute! He bun flopped on the floor :)

I have seen that sort of tude...like Zeus...when I am sleeping and catch him on my bed he dashes off my bed like it wasnt him, he wasnt there look lol...I think Dougal would like something cushy and snuggly like a foofy dog bed...seeing as how much he likes MY bed... :)

Though he avoids it more then he wants to jump on it...cant blame the poor guy at this point...

I do tell him no firmly and push his head down when he bites me...I let him have at the blankets when he gets like that...but I have told Lina she needs to tell him a firm no and push his head down gently...I am afraid she could hurt him...and so I push for her doing the firm no...over anything else...yet I think a lot of this is the meds being pushed on him...Though I know he needs to learn..no matter what he cant bite..

just thought too...that chick from the vets office...told me to start feeding him greens and carrots and crap...
While I am all for him eating...um no...

Latest posts

Back