Our Clan...now & always..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our Sunday Trip to Meet Dougal;

trip4blue2001.jpg

trip4blue2003.jpg

trip4blue2004.jpg

trip4blue2005.jpg

trip4blue2011.jpg

trip4blue2013.jpg

trip4blue2014.jpg

trip4blue2015.jpg

trip4blue2016.jpg

trip4blue2017.jpg

trip4blue2018.jpg

trip4blue2019.jpg

trip4blue2021.jpg

trip4blue2023.jpg

trip4blue2025.jpg

trip4blue2026.jpg

trip4blue2029.jpg

trip4blue2031.jpg

trip4blue2035.jpg

trip4blue2037.jpg

trip4blue2041.jpg

His first exploring trip...

He liked the castle at first and now...eh

trip4blue2046.jpg

trip4blue2051.jpg

trip4blue2052.jpg

trip4blue2054.jpg

trip4blue2056.jpg

trip4blue2057.jpg

trip4blue2058.jpg

trip4blue2060.jpg

trip4blue2061.jpg

trip4blue2063.jpg

trip4blue2064.jpg

trip4blue2070.jpg

trip4blue2073.jpg

trip4blue2074.jpg

trip4blue2076.jpg

trip4blue2077.jpg

trip4blue2078.jpg

trip4blue2079.jpg

trip4blue2080.jpg

trip4blue2081.jpg

There is more..but I am rather tired...being 1:30 in the morning now...and even more on my camera I have yet to pull...

Dougal...started munching his hay again...I have noticed he by passes the greener ones and goes for, lighter colored pieces....

:)

I hereby claim him as MINE....at least in my heart....but I will share custody and let him live with you there...

:D

Seriously - he's a cutie and I'm in love with him.

TinysMom wrote:
I hereby claim him as MINE....at least in my heart....but I will share custody and let him live with you there...

:D

Seriously - he's a cutie and I'm in love with him.
lol...thank you...he really is a darling...when he isnt mad...or being a butt head :)

9am...

Went to sleep late....after feeding the baby boy..and messing around here on RO...

I randomly slightly woke up here and there when would feel Dougal throw himself against my thighs...It would seem he loves to lay at the end of the bed by my feet or legs...Any time I would open my eyes he was there...

Alarm goes off...Scares the crap out of him...and he takes off like he can fly...I felt bad...

So I sit up and put my hand down....um...ICK...Well the cecals have returned....lots of little piles here and there...but this one I stuck my hand in...I do not know what it was, but pure mush and nasty smelling...FUN ...I was pretty glad I had beach towels spread out all over my bed...even though he did actually pee on my blankets last night....so now I have an naked bed while everything washes...

Dougal never did eat any of that mix I tried for him...or even the plain pellets...

This morning though he spent a little time eating his hay...the organic meadow one....and I did see him drinking..

Oddly ...there are no regular poops...where the heck are they? If there are cecals I would assume he is not blocked? so why is he not pooping anything else at all?

He was do for a feeding about an hour ago...but I have let it come and go without feeding him..It seemed to me he started liking it too much...I didnt even have to hold him last time...he chased me onto the bed when he smelled it and sat there pretty as you please eating and reaching for the syringe....and looking for more when it was gone....hmmm....

Dumped all the pellets that were out...oats too...and put down a small bit of fresh pellets.. Got his carrier ready...put a blanket in it and some hay...he has walked on it, over it, in it a few times checking things out...but being a good boy for the most part....

Would seem since I took down the low shelf...he will not go on the higher shelf...

I suppose that is all for now...

1 hour 15 minutes till we go to the vet...or rather are being seen by the vet...

I picked out an appointment with Dr. Eckerman-Ross this time...I like Dr. Leonetti, but....she is new and has les exp...I think I would feel better with a doc who has been doing this along while...the girl told me, Dr. Eckerman has a faithful following of rabbit owners...so I said lets go with her...

Promised to call the Breeder..Sarah when we leave to let her know what ever I can find out...

_random_

My ears are bothering me, I feel so tired, congested...allergies...the hay...ARG...

I hope Michelle doesn't mind me sharing - she's at the vet now - but he's lost a pound since Wednesday...this is very serious whatever it is..

They did a fecal test - his showed lots of cocci in his system...she's getting meds and stuff...

I'll let her share more later.

Sorry that you are struggling. I went through something similar with one of my bunnies when I first got her. She pulled through, so there is hope.

I know it seems that bunnies are bad luck sometimes (I have said before I'm their grim reaper), but they are worth it too. I hope you are seeing improvements already.

Well lets see if I can update correctly :)

First thanks to everyone for your support...
I bought this little sign for my daughter when she was going through a hard time..it says...watch for angels, for they are every where in your life...

Today I think I found that,..that ...is very very true...Real life angels all over the world..Gives me faith in the human race again..

Now on to Dougal...
My poor boy!!! He was 4.3lbs on Wed at 5:30 pm, by Friday at 10:30am he is now..3.54
That scared the crap out me...
Then the doc comes in talking about a doughy tummy, wants to keep him and do all sorts of stuff talking over 400 bucks...my heart drops thinking I just cant do that!
Fecal comes back and she says it is filled,...LOADED with cocci...I asked if they would allow the subQ fluids to come home with me and let me do it, as that would be much cheaper then letting him stay there...an 80 dollar difference...
If I had all the money in the world I would have done everything and anything they wanted..but I have to live in real life...even when it is scary as death...

So push comes to shove and what we have is a little boy off his food and hay, has some GI Stasis going on, with concern about toxic build ups, and what the Cocci is doing to him...
What is coming out...no form to it at all now...
They treated him with everything about noon...and sent us on our way...
He is getting CC every 4 hours until he starts eating on his own again.
1 gram of bene bac, 1 gram of bio sponge every day.
40ml of Sodium Chloride Fluid two times a day.
0.8 of Albon every day
and for pain, Meloxicam 0.2 once a day.
and pedialyte....

He ate 40cc of CC earlier..stayed with me for a time huddled and sleeping I suppose, in a blanket for awhile, right next to me..so I kicked on the TV as I could not move and what was on?? Howard the Duck..Holy crap...is that one old...Could not believe my eyes lol...

So my daughter comes home and I explain what is going on, what needs to be done and what I expect of her...of course she gets upset and says she does not want him to die..neither do I, I said to her...
She has been helping to get things done, clean and disinfect.

He jumped down after a bit, right before I got a call lol..and went to sit in the corner...where he seemed to be pushing his butt into the corner panel of his cage..
:cry4::dunno

He is still ignoring his food dish and water bowl...but eats a piece of hay every once in a while..
We feed again at 8 )2 hours away) and do the SubQ at 9..

He has gone through a lot and his body is going through a lot and I hope that is all there is to his behaviors now...
Looking forward to seeing him feel better and perhaps share a binky and a kiss with me again..

Decided I much preferred Dr. Eckerman-Ross' style over Dr. Leonetti...

The CC feeding takes its toll on a bunny parent, so I hope it goes well. I was an emotional wreck with Finley...lack of sleep, lots of stress. Not fun times.

I'll be thinking of you.

You are doing everything you possibly can for him! You are wonderful. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for him. I think he'll pull through fine. I hate when they lose weight so fast!

:hug: Thinking of you, Angelina and Dougal... I hope you see great improvement by the morning.

That...that ....could just possibly drive me to smoke again..
I am shaking like a leaf...my nerves are shot..I think I will need a darn tranq myself to get through that again and my GOD WE HAVE 6 MORE DAYS!! TWICE A DAY!!
Of the subQ to go....

I can handle the meds, I can handle the feeding, clipping nails...hell..honestly I can really handle most anything..but see this,...this is EXACTLY why I mess up..this is why I could not go further, but then again I did not give myself enough of a chance...

I personally HATE needles...sticking animals with them terrifies me more then getting myself stuck with one!!!

The place I worked at...the tech would try to teach us...OMG....trying to draw blood from a tiny kittens neck...couldnt do it..just could NOT do it..fear....fear of messing up, what happens when the animals move...

AND ******* & ******** & ********* DOUGAL MOVED....A LOT

I am so afraid I messed up doing this...I thought I could...I KNOW I HAVE TO...but my god the stress on him and me will kill us both...
I know I am supposed to stay calm, but man it IS NOT going to happen when he is fighting me and trying to hop away and he has a freaking needle in his neck...

Fate..see it all has a purpose..this is why I didnt finish tech school...because I would never have been able to get through this crap and be a real tech...

I pray to God...PLEASE...please let me not have hurt him and made everything worse...please let this go better next time...please!

He looks to wiped out...laying on his side...and lord I am about to cry...god I think I screwed up....He ran away and went to his litter pan...and laid down,,...and went to his side....((((((((((((((((((SCREAMS))))))))))))))))))))

If we actually make it through this...I honestly think he just might hate me forever...

You'll make it through this.....I know needles are horrid to work with...but once you and he both get used to it - the sub-q goes much easier. The first time is always the hardest.

You are a lot stronger than you think. You know it is for his own good... All parents have to make decision for their kids, that their kids don't like... but it is what's best for them. You will get through this.

I would guess that a lot of Dougals reaction is his perception of your emotions. If you are nervous and uptight, he can sense that and he is reacting to you. If you can stay calm and be at peace (because you KNOW what's best for him) when you give him the fluids, he may stay calmer.

SubQ fluids are hard. It's usually something I'd have my husband do, but once I had to do it to Finley and it was tough....but more so on me emotionally. It does get easier.

I'm sure he won't hate you forever. You're doing everything you can for him. He'll know that and love you that much more for it.

You guys are awesome! Thank you for your words and kind thoughts!

So last night I was nothing but a puddle of shaking nerves after everything was said and done...I fell asleep before midnight came so he missed out on that feeding...I also over slept and did not get up until 9am...

I was just so exhausted...I woke up though to the sound of chewing....

Dougal was running around his cage, munching on hays...peeing all over the place...like standing in the litter pans but hanging his rear over the edge and I swear it looked like on purpose...All 3 corners of the cage he will pee in, even off the shelves.....Been thinking what will he do if I make his cage into a circle AH HA! But any way...

He seemed so much better that I just sat here watching him for a bit wondering if I should feed the CC and give the SubQ...but I realised that though he is feeling better, he is not all better...and he also was not eating those pellets still...So against my protesting nerves...sigh....I went ahead and made up the CC, 20ml....gave the bio sponge...which FYI is HARD as heck to get out of the tube! Gave the Bene Bac, Gas drops just in case...and backed off for a few...Then gave the pain meds and waited a bit before I went ahead with another round of the SubQ....

Now see I know from working in an animal hospital you do not want to reuse a needle over and over because every time you puncture...it gets a little more dull.

Now if only Dougal understood that!!!!!

He fought me every step of the way this morning...feeding, meds...and with the subQ he was worse then yesterday and while I was not calm..I was calmer!

I think I had to poke him...lord...4-5 times at least. I managed to hold onto him during the end and even though I was worried I might be hurting him I could see no other way to hold him and get the fluids in...Well we got it done!

Now he has this little white crock he likes to drink from...it was actually meant for creme burle or however you spell it...it was bone dry this morning...it is maybe a cup total. He has oat in the rack, orchard in the small pan, timothy on the blanket, orangic meadow in the big pan...I have seen him munch on all but the orchard today...and I swear I hear what sounds like farts coming out of him..(His rear smells something awful!!)

His ears are up today..he is way more active...biting us etc..

I clipped his nails last night because I couldnt take it anymore...I was getting scratched all to hell...him and his baby daggers...There was barely anything to cut and though I tried to be careful I snipped one toenail too far...He bit me for that and well yeah I know it hurt :(

He has been biting more...just bit Angelina for picking poop up out of his cage...

He is grooming...and like taking a drink and what looks like licking his butt...taking a drink, repeat...he does look a bit frazzled...The sub Q did get all over his back...and while I know he is not getting all of the 40cc's...he is getting most of it,...

I would hate to say we are out of the woods and have something go wrong....but really that is what my gut is telling me...

I am seeing poops of all sorts now...and no cecals...go figure.

He still has smush...but he has solids coming now as well...

It felt like forever before everything was cleaned up...lord I do not know I am gonna do ALL of this every morning and get her off to school and me to work on time...I think I might have to get up like 2 hours earlier...((cries))

My x husband is showing concern over Dougal. I had to speak to him this morning and he asked without me saying anything...how was he doing. (My daughter totaly guilted him last night over everything)...lol

Well I do have to be running...but I have some more pictures I would like to show...I will see if I can get them up quickly..

and while I have gone over and read a lot about potty training...ideas are welcome again...no matter where it is...if it is a corner..he pees in it...and yeah I put the bigger pans in with the higher sides and he is still raising his butt over the edge...

Latest posts

Back