OT--A pony named Destry

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgirl

Reaction score
Well, folks, here am I envying you all adding to your furry families....

and guess what!

my furry family just grew by 650 lbs.:p

He is 5 yrs. old, black, large, and very fuzzyShetland pony.Who thinks he's a dog! Hefollows people all over the place(little pest), and likes to chase cars:shock:.All but wagshis little tail when you pay attention to him. ;)

An insanely smart little stinker, but very sweet and affectionate. Nota biter or a kicker, but needs training to saddle and/or driving. Healready obeys walk/trot/stop commands without a lead rope or bridle. Amtoying with the idea of teaching him tricks...he's got thatpersonality....sucha little ham!

I like horses, but the big ones scare me (except draft horses). I keepgetting run over, or run off with, or pushed, or stepped on (I thinkI'm cursed).... and little Destry is really the first horse I'm notafraid of. He attached himself to me (quite literally) the first time Imet him. :p

Since I'm 24, under 5 ft., and 90-some lbs., I won't outgrow him, and the challenge will be fun.

Can't believe I did this.....but very glad I did. :D

Rose

:jumpforjoy:

How exciting! Congratulations :D

There's a little Shetland up the street and he is just the sweetest thing ever (but not without a little spunk ;))

Oh congratulations! I'm so happy foryou. I have a love of horses. Riding is one of myfavorite things to do. I had a huge appaloosa before I wentto college, but I sold her when I went to college because I didn't feelit was fair to her my time was so limited. I miss her to thisday, but she has a wonderful family. Shawn and I are lookinginto getting 2 horses this winter, I can'twait.

Jen

Oh Ashitland how awsome for you ,little buggers come in 2varieties good ones miserable ones, I have only had the pleasure of dunningup against the miserable ones lol .Congradulations on the new addition Rosehow great for you .

Ooooh Rose, I am so excited for you. Destry(love the name) sounds ideal for you (wow, you are petite!). I used tohave a horse many years ago, but after several attempts of him tryingto kill me (and anyone else that rode him) I had to sell him. I missriding very much. Destry sounds a real character, can't waitto see pictures! Oh, is Bub in for a shock:shock::D!- Jan

I have a registered American Quarterhorse. I've had him for about months. I've beenriding for 14 and will be going to college for EquineScience. I used to have a Thoroughbred Mare but sold her andmy trainer now has her. My sister and I show my horse and his is 10 asof may 29. He's a big baby

Hey all,

I think I'm in for a wild ride. Did I mention this is my firsthorse?:pAnd him not even rideable yet.....hoooo boy.....

lol

Anyway, pictures and questions will certainly follow. He's boarded at afriend's house and I'm going out there next Friday. I'll try andremember to take the camera. My friend's family is very kindly going tohelp me with the training, so we'll see how it goes. They say bondingis really important, so I'll probably start by just getting to knowhim. Not that that's difficult. He is--like Bub--the full contact,up-close-and-personal type. ;)Last time I was there I drapedhalf of me over his shoulders and he stood there like a fuzzy rock.Every time I turn around his forehead is attached to my back, and Ikeep tripping on him.:D

Maybe I love him because he reminds me of....Bub!

Rose

I'm so jealous of you! I adore horses. I rodewhen I was younger, but I just have no chance now, and no realpossibility of getting one. I've met some wonderful ponies, and somestinkers. Your's sounds like a real sweetheart!

Tell us more! Where will you keepDestry? Do you have a farm/barn?Congrats! I am excited for you (and kinda envious) :p

Kricket wrote:
Tell us more! Where will you keepDestry? Do you have a farm/barn?Congrats! I am excited for you (and kinda envious) :p
Destry's going to board at my friend's farm--his original home. Helives in a herd of 25 on a 100-acre field. Beautiful place! The rest ofthe herd are much larger Kentucky Mountain horses (rare-ish gaitedhorses) and one miniature horse named Bridget. Destry definitely holdshis own in the herd....although it is funny to watch him chugging alongon his short little legs trying to keep up with the big guys. I ampretty scared to go in the field at this point, because I keep gettingrun over by all the big skittish adolescents. I've been using obliginglittle Destry as a body shield. :p

Recently I was in the midst of another herd of ponies (mares andfoals), and learned a little about reading body language. I am not atall afraid of the little guys, so it's a safe place to learn more abouthorses. I couldn't figure out why they kept doing certain things (likewhy does Destry wait until my back is turned to come and gently presshis forehead into my shoulder blades? and why does he then followme?)...and then I was reading this book by Monty Roberts and the lightdawned.:DCool! It's weird that all horses follow the samepattern in communicating. I seem to have passed Destry's "test". Itworked with another pony too (a total accident), so I can't wait to dosome more experimenting. Maybe it will keep me from getting trampledtoo.

I'm in love with ponies. In general, the world is scaled too large forme, so I'm rejoicing in being "just the right size" for once. :D

Rose

I am pleased that you are finding Monty Robertsway working for you. He has worked wonders in training all kinds ofdifficult horses. Our Queen even had him in this country helping trainsome of her horses. I love the way Destry has his forehead attached toyour back :D - Jan

LuvaBun wrote:
Iam pleased that you are finding Monty Roberts way working for you. Hehas worked wonders in training all kinds of difficult horses. Our Queeneven had him in this country helping train some of her horses. I lovethe way Destry has his forehead attached to your back:D - Jan
I fell in love withDestry when he did that.:D

I think Monty Roberts' methods could help a lot, because they makesense. It's so weird that I was sending certain signals and didn'trealize it, and they responded in a very patterned way. I hope I canmake it work!!

Rose

Latest posts

Back