Orange Pee

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
OK everyone, I know that a rabbits pee can be a range of colors but both of my rabbits have orange pee.

Is it just coincidence that they do, or is it something that perhapsI'm feeding them that's causing them to pee orange? I was told thatperhaps it was an excess of greens once upon a time, but I'm not sure.

There is no blood in the urine, it's just orange.

I'm still not sure what it is from. They seem tohave had orange urine fo rmonths now. It's not a concern to me but Iwas just wondering if it's what I'm feeding them. They get unlimitedtimothy hay and alfalfa based pellets, they don't have the high fibercontent they should but I cannot find anything with more than a minimum16% fiber. But they eat so much timothy that I'm not all that concerned.

They rarely get treats since I've put Mocha on a diet, although they doget green veggies (broccoli, parsley, dried carrot tops every fewweeks)once a week.

Hi Laura,

It is true that the colors of urine of a rabbit can go from yellow toan orange-red. It is caused by the pigments that pass through thesystem, and some food can have that effect or it could be their naturalcolor that the blatter produces.

Have the boys always had this orange colored urine? Have you changedfeed or diet? Do they seem to be depressed or hunched over, are theystraining to go to the bathroom?

-Carolyn

Spice has always had orange colored urine, thevet even tested for a UTI when they got neutered in August 2003. As forMocha, we aren't sure but he had orange urine since last January.

They don't seem strained or hunched over or in any sort of pain.

I have not changed their diet since I got them in 2003 because they were on alfalfa then.

Glad that you found out what it was MEGAN!

I would wonder if the bunny with Orange urine all the time maybe has a poor renal system?

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
Spice has always had orange colored urine, the vet eventested for a UTI when they got neutered in August 2003. As for Mocha,we aren't sure but he had orange urine since last January.

They don't seem strained or hunched over or in any sort of pain.

I have not changed their diet since I got them in 2003 because they were on alfalfa then.

UTIs usually happen in unspayed females.

If you're not seeing blood and you don't really sure as to what colorMocha's was, then just monitor it - as you already do. Itcould be his natural color.

If you see that they are lethargic, hunched over, straining to pee,then that's something to be concerned about, but from what youdescribe, I wouldn't be alarmed.

:)

-Carolyn

I'm not concerned at all. They seem happier andmore energetic if anything and are eating healthy and what not, so itnever worried me. I was just wondering if perhaps I was feeding themsomething bad for them both to have orange pee now? They don't seemsick and Mocha has definitely been peeing orange since the firstsnowfall in September (you can see the orange really well on whitesnow, lol)

Latest posts

Back