Opinions needed on infected wound :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DottyRabbit

Reaction score
My rabbits managed to escape from their enclosure last week. One of them has been attacked by a cat and has a large wound on his head We've been to the vets twice already, on the first visit they shaved the area, gave him a shot of antibiotics and painkillers, cleaned the wound and sent me off with more antibiotics and painkillers. The second time was a check up and they said it's going to be very difficult as rather than a scab, the wound is actually dead flesh on his head so it will become easily infected and we will have to keep an eye on it and bring him back. She also said it's difficult because it's hard to tell how deep it is and what is underneath it, and that it could go right down to his skull! Today the wound is obviously infected, it stinks. We have been cleaning it and giving him his antibiotics as the vet said, but it has still managed to become infected We're going back to the vets tomorrow or thursday, but I'm absolutely distraught as I'm pretty sure it sounds like he will have to be put to sleep.
I was just wondering if anybody has any sort of experience with anything like this? It would be hugely appreciated, either bad or good, I just want to know what the likely outcome is going to be so I can prepare myself He is such a happy bunny, throughout this whole experience he has been eating, drinking, going to the toilet fine and being 100% happy in himself! I am absolutely devastated :(

Thank you, this is going to kill me :( Photo of the little one below :(

537759_10152354630015565_1158197163_n.jpg

I don't know if this is something that can help, and I don't know if it's something that you are willing to try, it's an essential oil that is supposed to have really good antibacterial properties. Several years ago, my niece was in a car accident and had an infected cut in her hairline. I told her to use neosporin to try and clear up the infection, but she was into natural stuff at the time and had this really expensive essential oil. She put it on the cut and within the next day or two the infection was all cleared up. It was like it crystalized and killed the bacteria. I was actually pretty amazed. The problem is I have no idea what it's called. I'll ask my niece, and hopefully she'll remember the name. If not but she remembers the name of the company, I could give it to you and you could contact the company and maybe they could help you. It's really expensive, like $100 for a very small bottle, and I don't know if it will work, but I thought that if your bun is doing really poorly and there's nothing else that can help, that maybe there is a possibility this can.

As long as he's not in pain I don't think he should be pts. I hope he gets better, even though it doesn't sound good right now. Thinking positively, I'd suggest starting a probiotic such as benebac when the antibiotic is stopped.

Thank you for all the replies and good wishes. Jbun, if you could find out the name that would be wonderful! We went back to te vets today and they drained the wound and a lot of pus came out. His ear was also injured and is totally dead so will either be removed or fall off. They have said to keep the wound as clean as possible and put Manuka honey on it. They don't know what the outcome will be but the expert bunny vet will ring tomorrow and give her opinion. He is healthy and happy in every other way. I am just glad they think there is some hope.

It might be the vet will suggest knocking him out and removing the dead skin and infection and giving the wound a really good clean and possibly even putting a drain in. If there is infection in the deep wound there is no point letting the skin heal over the top.

They could also do a culture from the wound to check which is the best antibiotic to attack it with. Some of the stronger ones can be given by injection even if rabbit's can't have them orally.

I think they are hesitant to knock him out as he's only 7 weeks old so it would be risky. I hope that they can do some more for him though, all the vets have been surprised that he has made it so far and is happy and healthy (apart from
The obvious!) thanks for your reply :)

Cat bites are extremely dangerous to rabbits because of the amount and type of of bacteria present in cat saliva. Actuually cat bites can be very dangerous to humans also.
It is very important that he be treated with potent antibiotics preferably a combo of drugs that can reach a VERY DEEP infection. If your vet is giving you something like baytril that is not going to do it.
These types of infection often appear to resolve superficially while there is infection deep in the tissue .....this is very dangerous.
We have had other members in the past years use combos of drugs like injectable bicillin ( QOD) (easy to get in the US at farm stores) and oral azithromycin ( Zithromax) . I know that Sas's vet in Canada has prescribed ( for cat bites) injectable penicillin and oral chlorpalm (chloramphenical).

Chloramphenical is a wonderful drug in that it penetrates the blood/brain barrier and is able to reach deep infections. It has been banned for use in human usage because contact with the drug can actually cause destruction of white blood cells in humans.
I used chloramphenical opthalmic salve for a intractable eye infection in one of my rabbits several years ago with immediate resolution where all else had failed. If one wears plastic gloves no problem at all.
All in all you need to to talk to your vet about getting a culture and possibly starting something potent in the interim perod.
Here is a list of drugs safe for rabbits although many vets do not take advantage of many of them
http://http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

Actually I did not realize that he was so young . He could be sensitive to heavy doses of meds . You really do need to be seeing a very experienced rabbit saavy vet for this....

Thank you for your reply, it has been very helpful.. I would absolutely love to go down every route possible to get him better, but three visits to the vets already and I'm completely out of pocket :( There is only so much I can do due to my financial situation :( I'm a student and was hoping that I would be able to go to the PDSA or Blue Cross but they don't give any cover to students :( This is such a horrible situation eurgh :bawl:

Does your vet accept Care Credit payment plans ? Just wondering ...:ponder:
I agree that vet costs are astronomical
also what type of antibiotic has he been getting?

I'm not sure, it's probably worth me asking though, although I seem to remember seeing a poster in the surgery saying that they aren't doing accounts systems anymore as people never paid them off :( I wish vets weren't so expensive (doesn't everyone!). I'm pretty sure he's been getting Baytril which sounds useless from what you say :/

Ah, just spoke to my dad who took Cookie into the vets today. She wasn't the rabbit expert and said that she wasn't sure if he would need stronger antibiotics, the vet that is more experienced with buns will ring tomorrow and we should hopefully swap the antibiotics over for a more suitable one! If they don't mention it I'll enquire about it after what's been said on this post :) So glad I joined the forum and asked, thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back