Oooo This Made Me So Angry!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please note that the "you" I am using is the writer of the article and not directed to anyone but that person.

The points made, while can be accurate, can be easily dealt with.
The chewing/destruction is a sign of boredom, no toys or appropriate chew items seem to have been provided. Bunny proofing was not done. If you aren't going to make the area safe, provide suitable chew items and interact with your rabbit, you cannot complain when the rabbit chew things.
Rabbits do show affection. Many love to be pet, will binky and do other things to show they like/love you. If you are not going to put the time and effort into the relationship, don't expect your rabbit to reciprocate. Rabbits are not cats or dogs and do not show affection the same way. If you want that kind of affection, get a cat or dog.
Rabbits are interesting. If you don't interact with them, leave them in a cage or put the outside, then you aren't going to see them be interesting. A rabbit has a hard time being 'interesting' when shut in a cage all day and ignored. No, a rabbit isn't going to chase a Frisbee, but it can and will play.
Rabbits require care, so do all other animals. A cat needs the litter box cleaned, a dog needs to go for a walk, rabbits need the cage cleaned, time out of the cage and a good diet. If you don't like cleaning and care, don't get a pet of any kind.
Rabbits also need grooming. So do cats and dogs. A good brush, doing it outside when you can and a good diet does help. Animals shedding is not a new thing and is not unique to rabbits. If he thinks a regular furred rabbit it tough, try an angora in full coat.
Rabbits can and do live long healthy lives. Intact females do not all die of cancer by age 2. If they did, there would be very few show rabbits and much fewer rabbits in shelters (less time to breed and the 'high death rate'). Putting your rabbits outside probably didn't help either. With proper care a rabbit can live to be 10 years old. If your rabbit is dead at 7 months, there is probably an underlying condition. Multiple still born litters doesn't help. Preventative vet care would have done a great help.

If you put the time and effort into the relationship with your rabbits, you would get more out of it. Rabbit can be trained. It may take a bit longer than a dog, but it can be done. They are smart, intellectual creatures. Don't tell me a rabbit can't be trained until you actually try it for more than 5 minutes. My rabbits can do agility, most dog and cat owners don't even attempt that. Just because you can't do it, doesn't mean it can't be done.

I find the article amusing! :biggrin2: It's perfectly okay for not everyone to love or even like rabbit's, though I strongly disagree with the statement they make lousy pets. This person seems to be comparing them to Dog's and Cat's as well, which is unfair.

"...in reality they are ill-tempered, destructive, boring, unrewarding animals which, in my opinion, make poor pets."

This person is over generalizing a whole species. They seem very closed minded. Because they had a bad experience they think it makes them an expert on Rabbit's? Please! They also stated the Rabbit's were kept in a hutch outside for the rest of their lives. Hardly members of the family or even kept like a companion animal normally would be. So I can't help but ask myself how this person even has the right to make such blanket statements?

Just go on YouTube and look at Rabbit videos and you will automatically see they are a far cry from what this person describes them to be.

[align=center]Boring and Unrewarding??? Ha!
[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/hgDHWLyztCI[/flash]

Ill-tempered??? Psh...
[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/Ud4ZY7PQSaY[/flash]

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/XNTYMQi_owQ[/flash][/align][align=center]Rabbit's are individuals and should be viewed as such![/align][align=center]
[/align]

It's just like I told a tree-hugging hippie in Yosemite more than three decades ago. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if they are wrong. The ones I really feel sorry for are the rabbits this "person" had, as they obviously had little interaction. To quote my favorite character from the "70's Show"--" God must love stupid people cause he made so many of them".

I feel bad that this owner had expectations that were not met in rabbit ownership... it is sad for both her and her bunnies.

Sounds like she got a lot of nasty replies - but it is her opinion. Wonder what her rabbits thought about her as an owner?

Denise

The thing is while everyone is entitled to their opinion... this one comes from someone who obviously didn't provide the care or attention the bunnies needed and them blamed THEM for it.
It's extremely unfair.

Sure rabbits can be destructive, but a dog we owned did far more damage than Pippin ever did. He at our garage door!
And sure the can be difficult to tame. But my cat never learned how to do circle on command like Pippin did.

People tend to think they know everything based on one experience. In this case one that was caused by the person owning the rabbits.
I mean, why did she fail to neuter the male or at least separate them after the first stillborn litter?
Why did none of her poor bunnies live past the age of 4?
That is hardly the rabbit's fault...

Quaz and Wally wrote:
My first rabbit is one of the most destructive ill-tempered pets I've ever had.

God I love her.

^^^ BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Welcome to RO, by the way:wave:

(You can stay ;) )

:D

Thanks. :)

Rabbits can be a lot of the things this guy describes them to be, but a lot of the problems usually go away with spaying or neutering, or just proper care. Sometimes they don't though.

To be honest it was a little tough transitioning from dogs to rabbits. I was used to having dogs that just begged me for attention and wouldn't chew up my cables (I'm a computer guy I have a lot) and destroy my base boards. And then I had Tenny...

Not all rabbits are like this, but not all rabbits are pacified with neutering, and digging and chewing outlets.

But I find them to be one of the most rewarding pets. Those times she comes up to me to groom me are just so satisfying.

I cant believe he let her have SEVERAL still born litters before he had one of them fixed (or separate them). And isnt Houston pretty hot? Those bunnies were probably stressed from the heat.

This is why people need to do more research BEFORE buying a pet. Rabbits aren't like other animals, they have a specific personality.

In the guy's defense, it sounds like he put in a good effort.

There is a lot of misinformation about rabbits out there, and you'd think you'd be able to trust pet stores to at least give you some basic understanding on how to take care of a rabbit. Good rabbit vets are hard to come by, in fact, the one who had to neuter one of the rabbits I rescued from a shelter prescribed the rabbit amoxicillin (For those not in the know, it will kill your rabbit). He also neglected to tell us that it was a girl and not a boy! I had thought my second rabbit was a boy for the longest time because the pet store AND my good rabbit vet both told me it was a boy! In some areas, people laugh at you at the thought of getting a rabbit spayed. They probably think it's like spaying a hamster.

But he definitely must have done something wrong if he thought rabbits "show no affection". Either he never won them over, or never read up on how rabbits communicate.

A good education is really important to really appreciate rabbits, and it sounds like this guy didn't do all his homework. But it does sound like he did more than most "let's go to a pet store and try rabbits!" people.

But boy was it not smart to make such a detailed article without doing all his homework.

He also seems to have go into it as an experiment. It doesn't seem that he got rabbits because he wanted them as a pet (as most people do), but rather to see if they make good pets. That attitude going into it probably wasn't apt to be changed even if the rabbits has been better behaved and showed the level of affection he wanted. Going into it thinking that they will behave like a dog or cat and have similar needs is not fair to the rabbit. It is like having a second child and expecting that child to be like your first and not taking that child as an individual.
He seemed to have given up and used moving as an excuse to put them outside. As he put them as his parents, he essentially gave up ownership of them. If they were outside on his property, then he could at least have taken care of them himself.
While many people (myself included) do some research before getting rabbits, that research may not be the best. Most books I have seen are not that great and many were written at least 10 years ago, so are not up to date. Lots of people go to a pet store to learn about the pet and buy what is there, they assume that pet store workers know what they are talking about. It is up to the individual to do better research and find out as much as they can. Even though I may not have been as informed when I got Korr as I am now, I did continue to learn about rabbits. The guy who wrote the article seems to have just read a few book, talked to a pet store employee, gotten a couple rabbits and that's it.
He took a few negative experiences and put it against the whole species. I fell soryy for those rabbits, who for no fault of their own where made to live outside with limited contact. The first female was probably never left alone by the male and probably died because of it (2 still born litters in a row and possible complications form a single kit). If this guy had done any good research, the rabbits could still be alive today.

When people expect rabbits to be a lot like cats or dogs, they will certainly have a bad experience. Rabbits are like rabbits.

I hope people don't hate me for this, but I don't see what anyone has to be angry with.

I will admit that it saddens me how short a life these rabbits had. I'm sad they did not receive the attention they deserved.

However. I have tried several times throughout my life to have a fish tank. It was expensive, it was gross, and to me, most of the time it was basically boring. All of my fish and other tank life died within six months. They are a useless pet to me. Talk to my brother though and he well tell you that creating a mini Eco-system in your home is the most rewarding thing life has to offer. Did this make me a bad fish owner? no it did not. Neither does it make my opinion wrong, and neither does it make it right. I am not a fish person.

While I don't agree with him at all, and I believe that there were several things he could have done to correct his rabbit's behaviors (akin to poorly trained dogs, which we see plenty of!) I am not angry at this man.

You will notice that the rabbits were fed, watered, sheltered and clean. Back where I come from this is the norm! Having a rabbit meant a pet who sat around doing nothing all day. (My friends are still shocked when I tell them stories about my rabbit). He didn't starve them. He didn't intentionally kill them. He didn't abandon them on the side of the rode. He didn't drop them off at a local shelter. He still drove to his parents place every night to let them run outside of their cage. And in the end he still admitted to having an emotional attachment to them.

He was just not a rabbit person.

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but this guy seems kind of jerky to me. Rabbits are rabbits, as someone else said. They are just as individual as anyone, and respond in their own way. It certainly doesn't seem as if this man showed his pets much affection, so it's no wonder they didn't show him any. If he viewed them as an experiment, then his feelings were probably conveyed to them, and that's what they responded to. I'm sorry that he didn't get what he wanted, but I'm more sorry for the poor bunnies who didn't get what they deserved...someone to love and spoil them so that they wanted to show how much they have the capacity to love. I know that not all rabbits show affection. Our little boy, Whiskers, is not an affectionate guy, but we love him to pieces, all the same. He knows that we value him, and that he's an important part of our family (I hope he knows, anyway)! Just my 2 cents' worth!

Rabbit Hero wrote:
I hope people don't hate me for this, but I don't see what anyone has to be angry with.

I will admit that it saddens me how short a life these rabbits had. I'm sad they did not receive the attention they deserved.

However. I have tried several times throughout my life to have a fish tank. It was expensive, it was gross, and to me, most of the time it was basically boring. All of my fish and other tank life died within six months. They are a useless pet to me. Talk to my brother though and he well tell you that creating a mini Eco-system in your home is the most rewarding thing life has to offer. Did this make me a bad fish owner? no it did not. Neither does it make my opinion wrong, and neither does it make it right. I am not a fish person.

While I don't agree with him at all, and I believe that there were several things he could have done to correct his rabbit's behaviors (akin to poorly trained dogs, which we see plenty of!) I am not angry at this man.

You will notice that the rabbits were fed, watered, sheltered and clean. Back where I come from this is the norm! Having a rabbit meant a pet who sat around doing nothing all day. (My friends are still shocked when I tell them stories about my rabbit). He didn't starve them. He didn't intentionally kill them. He didn't abandon them on the side of the rode. He didn't drop them off at a local shelter. He still drove to his parents place every night to let them run outside of their cage. And in the end he still admitted to having an emotional attachment to them.

He was just not a rabbit person.

Like I said, he can HAVE his opinion.

But I certainly don't agree that the rabbits got any kind of decent treatment.
In fact I would call it near neglect.

IMHO I believe he killed the mother of the kit, whether it was intentional or not, it was his fault, He let her have multiple litters in a row and it stressed her to death (she could have also had a retained kit or something).

But I also agree with Rabbit hero, some people just don't react well with certain pets. I've had hamsters and rats.. and I researched and researched and gave them everything I could..but I never really got anything out of the relationship (although my one rat was very intelligent and I loved her very much). I am just not a rodent person. But that doesnt mean I go and make a 2 page article on why rodents are bad pets.. because although I've had bad experiences, I know that people have had wonderful experiences.

jessicalovesjesse I'm not saying the treatment was decent. I'm saying that in terms of the basic (extremely basic) needs the rabbits had "everything". to you and me those needs can add up to very different things. I love that that article you posted brings up the point that some of us are willing to love and accept an aggressive rabbit. I think I would be harder pressed to accept an aggressive dog but I know people out there who have done it.

Bunnylove817 I did not consider that point. It was an extremely poor decision not to have both his rabbits fixed regardless of their sex.

Back