one of the worst experiences of my life

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashesbunny

Reaction score
My bunny was a 3.5 year old polishdwarf. His name was Ashes and he was the best rabbit I couldhave asked for. His personality was unbelievable.Ashes was thriving..until last night. He seemed somewhatlethargic yesterday, but this has happened before, so was no reason topanic. I happened to be walking downstairs in my house, thebunny lived at the bottom of the stairs, in the family room.as i walked by, i heard what i thought was him scratching the cagefeverishly. when i looked at the cage, it looked like mybunny was having a seizure. he was flipping uncontrollably onhis side. i reached in to pet him to try to comfort him..oncethis stopped, i picked him up. in my arms, ashes began thisflipping again. after another minute, my bunny wasdead. i love animals, and watching any animal go through thiswould have horrified me. but my bunny, in my arms, i can'tget the horrible vision out of my head. ashes had beeneating, drinking, and we had not given him anything new. hehad not been out of our sight, and nothing in his environmentchanged. does anyone know what could possibly have happenedto my furry little love?

Im so sorry for your loss. :bigtears:I cant even imagine how you must feel.

I really dont know what could have caused his death. Maybe someone else will have some ideas.

He sure was an adorable little guy. I wish we could have gotten to know him.

Binky free at the Rainbow Bridgelittle one:bunnyangel::rainbow::bunnyangel:

:pray:Sending lots of love and hugs your way.:pray:

-Haley

EDIT: I got to thinking, it could have been whats known asE.Cuniculi (encephalitozoon cuniculi). Heres a link tomore info:http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=14471&forum_id=10Ecis a parasite that can cause brain problems,which couldresult in seizures and suddendeath. Without a necroscopy, itshard to say..

I am so sorry. You might see about getting anecropsy, I don't know how much one would cost, or if you can requestone. It might give you some answers.

I am truly sorry for your loss. He was an adorable little guy. :(

~Star~

I'm so sorry. Binky free, Ashes. :rainbow:

It's really hard to say what caused his death without anecropsy. Was there any chance he had gotten into some sortof chemical, like a cleaning chemical? It could also havebeen something like E. cuniculi or a congenital defect.

:hug2:

No he was never out of our sight, so he didn'tget into anything..which just increases our questioning. Doesanyone know how soon after death a necropsy has to be done?

I'm not sure. It would be best to calla vet and ask. If your regular vet is closed at the moment,you could always call an emergency vet. They should be ableto advise you.

I think Ive heard its best if done within the first 24 hours.

Do you have a rabbit-savvy vet that you go to? If not we have list inour rescource center. You will want to have someone who knows a lotabout rabbits.

Again, Im so sorry you have to go through this.

:rose:

I am so sorry, I just saw this thread. I am truely sorry foryour loss. Yes, that had to be very hard to watch.I wouldn't be the same for some time. :pray:I'm sosorry. :bigtears:

I'm so sorry :(

Ashes is over the Bridge and will be ok now.
....binky free little one.

:pray::rainbow::jumpingbunny:

~Jim

I'm so sorry too to hear about your loss, i hadsomething similar happen to a guinea pig and it was an infectioncausing the fitting, i know yours was an indoor rabbit, but perhapssomething was carried in on you or another animal?

so very sorry for your loss - I know how it isto lose a bunny in your arms - our boy Fudge had a fit and died in myarms after battling an eye abcess for a long time. I sympathise withwhat you are going through. Maybe an infection of some sort caused histemperature to be raised, causing the fit? Sometimes we never know whatcaused them to go...it's difficult to accept I know.

Take care

mummybunny xx

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss :(
I had a similar experience with my Pink and Grey Galah, even though theimages still haunt me, as least you can take a 'little' comfort inknowing you were with Ashes when he passed.

I'm not sure about the seizure, i'll ask at work and see if the vet has any ideas about seizures inbunnys.
Hope your holding up ok,
lots of love from Lara and Bangbang:pink iris:

Latest posts

Back