OMG! I think I accidently tranced Buddy!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoeyGirl

Reaction score
I'm alittle freaked at the moment. Last night Mr. Buddy decided he was not wanting me in his cage and tried to bite me. (He came in contact w/ a knuckle but didn't break the skin.) I went ahead and got him out of his cage to let him know that I was the dominant bunny and cuddled w/ him. I was rubbing him from his eyes to his ears and he was lying on his back. He went into this 'sleepy' state. I didn't realize that it was trancing. He popped right out of it when I moved him but I'm alittle freaked. Will this hurt him? I didn't mean to do it. I wanted to calm him down. I went and read up on the trancing pages and someone said that it shouldn't be done. I just want to make sure he's going to be ok. He seems ok today. Thanks!

I am not very knowledgeable on trancing.

But I am sure someone will come along soon.

Hope it all works out. I would just try not to do it tell we find out.

Kat

i have never heard of trancing being bad? I am under the impression that trancing is not bad, and i can do it and have done it to two of my rabbits. Trancing can help greatly with a rabbit who doesnt like there nails cut. I do this to my one rabbit who bites just to make cutting his nails alot easier. I am interested in hearing if in fact it is bad to trance a rabbit !

I have heard trancing as being a sleepy hypnotic state where the bun is very relaxed and won't really move. There is a fine line between tranced and simply being immobilized on his back. Therisk of being on his back and not really tranced is that the bun can, at any sudden moment, flip itself over in a quick and abrupt motion. The bun can get very scared being off its feet and scramble, he could fall off your lap or hurt it's back flipping over if it kicks it's legs real hard.

If you're going to do it, make sure the bun is really comfy and snug so that if he does move, it's not going to hurt him. Trancing in and of itself isn't harmful. It is a relaxed state if you get him in the zone!

My personal opinion on trancing (so take this for what it's worth - I'm not a vet or anything) is that trancing is like playing dead. If a predator were to flip the bun over, the bunny would automatically go limp and play dead. The same thing happens when we flip them over on their backs.

I don't think it's a *bad* thing, but I wouldn't do it all the time either. I think it's a great tool for nail trims and other bunny maintenance, but I wouldn't be trancing my bunny multiple times a day just for fun. If it is a move to avoid being eaten, it's not necessarily as relaxing as it seems. However, I don't think it will hurt your bunny in any way and, who knows, maybe they do enjoy the relaxation!

I trance bunnies all the time, to clip nails, check teeth, to check for the sex, ect. Just be carefulabout letting them snap out of the trance, kick or twist where they can break their backs.

elrohwen wrote:
My personal opinion on trancing (so take this for what it's worth - I'm not a vet or anything) is that trancing is like playing dead. If a predator were to flip the bun over, the bunny would automatically go limp and play dead. The same thing happens when we flip them over on their backs.
Although I do have some who will relax on their backs, most of my rabbits do not like being on their backs at all and will kick/twist and throw a fit! Rabbits are not like other animals and don't "play dead". Animals who do this, like fainting goats or opossums immediately enter a tranced state when they're frightened or startled. Rabbits won't do this, and more often than not, they actually fight the position.

With that being said, I've not been able to figure out exactly what causes a trance. I've had lots of Hollands over the years through my breeding herd and the only thing I've noticed is a direct correlation to personality. My more calm, laid back rabbits are also the ones who will lie on their back without a fight and are easier to trance than those who put up a fight. So it's my experience that "playing dead" is not natural since probably 75% of the rabbits I've had won't put up with it. It seems to just be a relaxed state, maybe just the beginning stages of sleep, I'm not sure.

I've found no ill effects of trancing and it comes in handy, like several people mentioned. It helps when trimming nails or checking teeth, and things like that. I normally don't intentionally trance them just because I have no reason to, but occasionally will do it to entertain friends or young 4-Hers.:p The rabbits don't seem to mind and if anything, it helps them to calm down a bit. JMPO though!

Thank you all for your comments and advice! I just freaked because it looked like he was asleep and it freaked me out. I probably will not do this to him. I've cut his nails w/out the trancing w/ no problem. And I've been able to check to make sure he was in deed a boy. So unless it's medically necessary, I won't do it.

Now, I wish I could trance my 40lbs black lab/chow mix girl. She HATES having her nails trimmed!! If I could get her to relax, it would be so much easier. :wink

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
elrohwen wrote:
Although I do have some who will relax on their backs, most of my rabbits do not like being on their backs at all and will kick/twist and throw a fit! Rabbits are not like other animals and don't "play dead". Animals who do this, like fainting goats or opossums immediately enter a tranced state when they're frightened or startled. Rabbits won't do this, and more often than not, they actually fight the position.

With that being said, I've not been able to figure out exactly what causes a trance. I've had lots of Hollands over the years through my breeding herd and the only thing I've noticed is a direct correlation to personality. My more calm, laid back rabbits are also the ones who will lie on their back without a fight and are easier to trance than those who put up a fight. So it's my experience that "playing dead" is not natural since probably 75% of the rabbits I've had won't put up with it. It seems to just be a relaxed state, maybe just the beginning stages of sleep, I'm not sure.

I've found no ill effects of trancing and it comes in handy, like several people mentioned. It helps when trimming nails or checking teeth, and things like that. I normally don't intentionally trance them just because I have no reason to, but occasionally will do it to entertain friends or young 4-Hers.:p The rabbits don't seem to mind and if anything, it helps them to calm down a bit. JMPO though!

Interesting! Thanks for sharing your experience with many buns. My bun doesn't trance either, though when researching it it seems to common that it's easy to assume that it works on most buns.

Though I still wonder if it is related to an instinct left over from their days as wild buns. I'm unable to think of any other behavioral reason that they would do it, especially since most animals don't like to be on their backs, especially prey animals.

Nobody in my crew hates being tranced, and I'm sure they'd tell me if they did, they do hold grudges! It's hard to trance the dwarfs, Pipp won't have any of it, but I can get her on her back for just long enough for it to take hold, if I tilt her back the right way. But she'll fight her way out of it pretty quick.

I'm having trouble finding a study or a scientist/vet withe knowledge or interest to confirm my theory, but I strongly suspect it affects the same equilibrium center that makes a rabbit prone to head tilt.

I suffer from chronic positional vertigo so I'm well-versed in some of the human aspects of the inner ear and I think with rabbits it's sort of positional vertigo without the vertigo. I don't think it makes them nauseous or sick in any way, but it does cause a 'zone out'.

I don't think its related to a predator thing, it's not stress-induced, and predator attacks don't end up with the bunnies on their backs (well maybe) so I don't see a connection there at all.

It's physical and its positional. And harmless.

sas :twocents:

Like Pipp, I've heard that it has to do with the bunny's inner ear/balance/etc. That's why when you tilt bunnies slightly, with their head going down, trancing works especially well.

I'm no medical expert, but I've heard hear of trancing having ill effects on a rabbit. All but one of my rabbits will do it, and I've only tried once with that one so I may be wrong, and it's very useful especially for nail trimming. You just have to be really careful with them flipping over and hurting themselves, bunnies have very fragile spines.

elrohwen wrote:

I dunno if trance is quite the right word but my rabbit will oft start leaning his weight back until he's on his lap if you hold him and give him kisses (mind you you have to give him the kisses or he won't start relaxing) but unless it's a long cuddle/pet/smooch session he's pretty responsive to it all despite being on his back- he'll lick you if you kis/ pet too close to his face make little sounds and even pick his head up if you stop too long petting/ rubbing his belly. I can get him to fall asleep but gor the most part he's awake and very reactive. I dunno if he's just Weird or if Lionshead rabbits are just LIKE that. But I would call him playing dead at all.

I dunno if trance is quite the right word but my rabbit will oft start leaning his weight back until he's on his lap if you hold him and give him kisses (mind you you have to give him the kisses or he won't start relaxing) but unless it's a long cuddle/pet/smooch session he's pretty responsive to it all despite being on his back- he'll lick you if you kis/ pet too close to his face make little sounds and even pick his head up if you stop too long petting/ rubbing his belly. I can get him to fall asleep but gor the most part he's awake and very reactive. I dunno if he's just Weird or if Lionshead rabbits are just LIKE that. But I would call him playing dead at all.
This thread is over a decade old. If you have any questions regarding trancing, please begin a new thread.
The attached photo shows what a tranced rabbit looks like. It is something that has been warned against-- except perhaps in rare instances for certain rabbits. Trancing is when a rabbit is put in a state of Tonic Immobility. It is considered highly stressful for a rabbit (despite the appearance) and is not recommended.

Here is a paper by renowned (in the rabbit world) Anna McBride:
https://eprints.soton.ac.uk/54860/
More info on it is here:
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/maintenance-handling/trancing/
and:
http://www.bunnyhugga.com/a-to-z/health/tonic-immobility.html

Attachments

• tranced rabbit.jpg
    tranced rabbit.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 0
I'm alittle freaked at the moment. Last night Mr. Buddy decided he was not wanting me in his cage and tried to bite me. (He came in contact w/ a knuckle but didn't break the skin.) I went ahead and got him out of his cage to let him know that I was the dominant bunny and cuddled w/ him. I was rubbing him from his eyes to his ears and he was lying on his back. He went into this 'sleepy' state. I didn't realize that it was trancing. He popped right out of it when I moved him but I'm alittle freaked. Will this hurt him? I didn't mean to do it. I wanted to calm him down. I went and read up on the trancing pages and someone said that it shouldn't be done. I just want to make sure he's going to be ok. He seems ok today. Thanks!
Oh so sorry that. And me too no idea about what trancing is??? Would love to be educated on what to do too.
Take care xx

Back