OMG! I just got a baby bun!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitelop

Morgan
Reaction score
Okay, I had to run an errand this morning and I was on my way home and decided to stop at the pet store at the end of my street. They were advertising bunnies, so I wanted to see the situation.

I go in there are like 10 babies of different breeds in the cage thing. They have food, water and hay. I think to myself, thats not terrible, its a pass. Then I go see the store rabbit, which is a rex. So I'm petting her, she is so sweet. I go back to the babies and I'm looking at them; they all look good.

THEN this tiny little black and white dutch comes popping out from under another baby. This rabbit is not 8 weeks old, she is like 5. So I asked the woman how old she was, she said 8 weeks. The rest of the buns in there are like 4 times her size. Her "siblings" are 3 times the size of her, she is like 5 weeks old. Way too young to be giving to some person who doesn't know anything about buns.

I watched the people who owned it sell a guinea pig to a woman, who bought a cage, bedding, a water bottle and a bowl and PUT THE GP IN THE CAGE IN THE BACK OF HER SUV. They allowed her to leave like that! What if she got into a wreck.

So I called my husband who is FURIOUS with me and told him I was getting this tiny bun.
So without any further ado, this is the tiny baby I just "rescued" from the hands of some idiot buying a bun for their kid:
Pictures are huge, didn't have time to edit
Camerapictures250_zps153fce43.jpg

Camerapictures253_zps0fd5db4d.jpg

^on a regular sized wash cloth.

Camerapictures252_zps0781f13f.jpg

She looks like a mis-marked dutch. The lady said she was a girl, so we'll see.
But there she is! No name yet, any suggestions?

I remember my Hunny Bunny mini lop when I got her at six weeks old really well. She is now over five years old. She is a humongo lop instead of a mini lop, that is, after I got her fixed. They say that it is preferable to get female bunnies fixed if you are not going to let them have babies because that helps them keep a docile sweet personality, and, in Hunny Bunny's case, it certainly has. She is a real sweetheart and wouldn't harm a fly. You can also litter pan train your bunny and use some nature type litter of course, not clay litter. When Hunny would be out roaming in the house, she would go back into her litter pan and go potty. I would put some timmothy hay in the corner of the litter pan because that helps to litter pan train rabbits as they like to munch while they go. The name Elvira popped into my head and that is a very exotic name for an exotic bunny.

She is so stinking cute Morgan. Hopefully Foo will approve, and your husband at some point ;) She's adorable. Makes me really want another one haha. You could name her Chessie (think about it lol), or Domino, or Oreo, or you could call her Lucky, since she is Lucky :)

Oh. My. Gosh. She is SOOOOOOO cute!!! I wanna kiss her! Or him :)

She does look younger than 8 weeks. Is she eating pellets okay?

Congrats on your new addition. Now you will get the joy of raising a baby. It's a hoot watching them come into their own!

And how crazy Foo is getting spayed Monday....one step closer to a potential bond someday. Hmm, maybe this was meant to be :)

I love Elvira. That is cute. I like the human names like that that are kinda "ugly sounding" for a tiny cute bun. Hence why we liked Agnes. Haha but I think you should try tomsex her/him before you get set on a name.

I will try to sex her in a few days, let her settle in better.

I haven't given her any pellets yet, but she IS eating the hay! She is still in her box until I can get the cages set up and I can hear her in there pulling stands of hay out. She was already on timothy hay, and I'm so glad I still have some left. Its the bottom of the bag so its smaller pieces, which will be better for a small mouth.
I'm going to put Foo in a dog kennel, from our foster golden. That will be good for her after-spay cage too. Then I'm going to clean Foo's cage out really well and put the baby in there.
I don't really know what to do about bedding though, because I don't have any bedding left. I think I might just put some hay in there for her? I don't know. I was a little ill prepared for this, but I feel like I did the right thing. I didn't go in there thinking about buying a bun, because I didn't really want to. But she was a quarter of the size of every other bun in there. It was unbelievable, I wish I would have taken a picture of them all together.

Ahhh. I feel panicy right now.

holy crap! such a surprise to hear you've suddenly gotten a second bunny... very exciting! I'm sure you'll take wonderful care of her; better than anyone else who might've gotten her from the store.

this probably only popped into my head because I was thinking of the little hammy runt, but you might wanna keep a close eye on her weight and make sure she's gaining properly, etc. - she could be with the 8 week olds but be younger because she's a foster or something, or it could be that she IS 8 weeks old but is a runt/her growth is stunted. regardless, she is absolutely *precious* and I really, really hope she doesn't have any health problems due to being weaned too early!

Thanks Jennifer! I really hope she doesn't have any health problems either! I'm a little nervous. She's already eating the hay, I broke 4 pellets up and put them in the box with her and she ate a few pieces. I don't know what they were feeding them, but it looked like a timothy based pellet. It was probably a kaytee product because they sell kaytee. I have kaytee pellets. AND she has already pooped! They're such tiny little poops, compared to Foo's. lol

The rest of the buns were like 10-12 weeks old. But her siblings were huge compared to her!

btw, did you pick up any alfalfa for her? given that she appears to have been weaned too young, I'm sure the extra calcium and protein would really benefit her. just make sure to gradually wean her onto it - when I first got my girls, I made the mistake of abruptly switching them to alfalfa when I found out that's what babies should be fed and Gazzles got diarrhea as a result ><

You'll have to post many pics! I agree to let her settle in a bit before sexing her. Omg, I'd be panicking a bit too! Hahahaha but you'll do just fine and how lucky of a bun she is to get you as her bunny momma!

I agree with Jennifer to keep an eye on her wright but it's a good sign she is eating hay and at a couple pellets. She looks little the pictures BUT she looks healthy in the sense that she's not all bones and her eyes seem bright and clear.

Omg a new RO bun! Yay!!!

Congratulations! She's sooo cute! How fun to have a new bun to play with. It'll be interesting to see what Foo thinks when you let them meet. Maybe her maternal instincts will kick in and she'll be a lovely 'foster' mommy to this baby :)

I agree that it's possible that she really is 8 weeks. I had a bunny that was a runt, and at 8 weeks was at least half the size of it's sibling. It does look very small for 8 weeks though.

One thing about giving her pellets, if you aren't sure if what you have is exactly what she was getting before, then you are going to want to slowly transition her onto them, like you would do if you were switching pellets. This way you'll have the least chance of upsetting her digestion. And I have one suggestion on the hay too. To minimize the risks of developing a picky bun by only feeding her alfalfa hay as a baby, you may want to give her a mix of grass and alfalfa(once you've transitioned her onto the alfalfa). That way she will be used to the grass hay when you have to switch her to only that as an adult. If by chance Foo takes a liking to this baby and you end up keeping them together, and you then can't give the baby alfalfa hay cause of Foo, it should be ok to only give grass hay as long as she is getting alfalfa pellets.

OMG, that´s just the kind of thing I´d have done if I had the room. Shes just a cutie overload. I just love her colour and she is really small. Bandywas even smaller when he came home and he ended up with the runs after he first four days and I was so worried because he only weighed 200 grams. So just keep an eye on her.

I also like Elvira, quite exotic but think it would suit her. She´ll settle in no time and will be so pleased to have found such a fantastic bunny mummy....lucky, lucky girl.:happyrabbit:

That's pretty much how it happened with Swiffer! We had 2 issues there, he's 14 weeks and wouldn't have known he was a boy if I hadn't found EMPTY sacs, and he wouldn't eat alfalfa hay. I have him on alfalfa pellets and timothy hay, and he's getting big.

I'm sure you know more about baby buns than I do, I'm sure she'll thrive in your care! Congrats on your little cutie! I prefer names that go both ways, then there's no name changewen he/she reveals whether pink or blue. ^_^

Aw, she's TOO cute! She looks so young too; poor baby! Good thing you rescued her!

Latest posts

Back