Oliver's Saga

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

HoneyPot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2005
Messages
2,925
Reaction score
2
Location
, ,
I looked for my old post, but I couldn't find it - darn search feature - so I'll just do a quick recap.

Waaaay back (I don't even remember how long ago it was), Oliver started developing scabs on his mouth. Took him to the vet and she suspected Syphillis, so he was put on once a week penicillin injections. It cleared up after about 4 shots, and we stopped.

Two weeks later, scabs are back. So the vet decides to do the shots a little longer until it completely clears up and then three more after that to really make sure.

Ten shots and probably about $1000 later...

Every week, he gets the shot, and every week, it clears up, then near the end of the week, I notice his lip is a bit swollen again, and it's time for another shot. I told the vet I didn't think this was working and somewhere at the beginning of him getting more shots I asked about testing him to find out for sure what it was. Apparently, no labs in Toronto test for Syphillis and since the penicillin was clearing it up, she wanted to just continue with the needles. I suggested doing the shots closer together than a week, but the vet wanted to stick with once a week. Fine.

After he got a million shots, I stopped because honestly, what was the difference between ten shots and eleven when I was sure it wasn't getting any better. AND while he was on the penicillin, he started to develop two scabby things on his cheek.

Finally, my vet went on maternity leave, so I went to another vet in the office. He said if the scabs come back again, he wants to do the shots closer together. He will also let me just give them to him at home (I was a bit annoyed since I suggested to do that $500 ago).

So he's off the shots for 2 weeks and lo and behold, scabbing comes back and the ones on his cheek are getting worse. I take him back in - to the 3rd vet at this office (who is actually my favorite) and he says he would prefer to do a biopsy of the scabs on his lips andcheek and send it to the lab (HELLO, did I not ask the other vet about doing tests and she told me there was nothing she could test for?! I would have done this months ago.)

He thinks it's something more than just an infection because it just keeps coming back.

So - tomorrow, Oliver will be going in for surgery to get a biopsy of his scabs done. Poor thing. His mouth bugs him a lot, so after the surgery, they'll be giving him another shot of penicillin to clear up the scabs for the week.

So much for Oliver being the cheaper bunny. He's more than officially broken the $2000 mark now.



Nadia

 
Joined
Jul 9, 2004
Messages
7,761
Reaction score
4
Location
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Oh Nadia, I am so sorry that Oliver is still having this problem. What a shame they couldn't have done the biopsy when you first suggested it. If they can test now, then why not then????

How long will you have to wait for the results? I'll be thinking of you both tomorrow. Let us know how things go.

Jan
 
Joined
Nov 30, 2005
Messages
10,317
Reaction score
56
Location
, ,
That is unbelievable!

That rabbit probably doesn't have syphylis at all

maybe I am off the mark but was any skin scrapings done on the crusty areas. A skin scraping is a simpler to do than a biopsy.

whatever it is the penicillin seems to have some affect on it.
Sorry that you have to go through such a long drawn out and expensive ordeal and the bunny :(still isn't well
is the vet really rabbit knowledgeable?

Maureen
 

Pipp

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Messages
12,878
Reaction score
56
Location
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Why on earth is it costing so much money? Penicillinis avery cheap drug. Scooter'sdailypenicillin wasn't much more than$2 a shot I think, maybe even less. Nine syringes full cost either $12 or $24, I forget which.

I opted to give him the shots myself, but my vet would have given them without charging for the appointment if I brought the bunny and the syringe into the office. It was a 30-second procedure.

I think the most expensive option was Convenia at $50 a shot, but those were weekly at most.

I hope you get this straightened out. :(



sas:?
 

SOOOSKA

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2005
Messages
7,744
Reaction score
26
Location
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Sorry to hear about Oliver's problem Nadia.

Nadiagoes to the same Vets that I take ours to, believe me they are VERY expensive. They are Exotic Animal Vets. However saying that when Buttercup had the fluid removed a couple of weeks ago the one Vet made itsound like they had seen this many times before where as the Vet that took care of Buttercup the following day told Chris they had never seen fluid in a rabbit before.:?

Sorry didn't mean to hi-jack your blog Nadia.

Susan
bunny_thumping_foot_md_clr.gif

 

polly

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2007
Messages
3,601
Reaction score
0
Location
Scotland, , United Kingdom
I had a rabbit that I bought who had virgin syphi nothing on the genitals all on the face he had a really scabby eye and it spread to his nose. 4 penicillan injections it was gone and has never come back. I would find it hard to believe that with all those injections that its syphi it just seems very extreme!! I really hope that the biopsy helps and gets it sorted. I would probably make my feelings known to the vets by saying that the biopsy should have been done in the beginning!!
 

HoneyPot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2005
Messages
2,925
Reaction score
2
Location
, ,
I know - they are horrendously expensive. I keep meaning to find another vet that's good with the buns, but I never want to switch in the middle of something important because I do trust these vets with them.

All the vets I've gone to in Toronto are similar priced though - this one is maybe $10 - 15 more for checkups. I don't know why they are so expensive here.

Nad
 

HoneyPot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2005
Messages
2,925
Reaction score
2
Location
, ,
polly wrote:
I had a rabbit that I bought who had virgin syphi nothing on the genitals all on the face he had a really scabby eye and it spread to his nose. 4 penicillan injections it was gone and has never come back. I would find it hard to believe that with all those injections that its syphi it just seems very extreme!! I really hope that the biopsy helps and gets it sorted. I would probably make my feelings known to the vets by saying that the biopsy should have been done in the beginning!!

Yes, I am going to say something when I go in next. I was a little pissed that I asked for them to do the tests a long time ago and was told there was nothing they could test for. And then I was also really mad that they just kept going with the Pen shots even after I told them I didn't think it was working. Ah well. Hopefully the tests will come back with something.

10 days for results they said.


 

HoneyPot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2005
Messages
2,925
Reaction score
2
Location
, ,
Pipp wrote:
Why on earth is it costing so much money? Penicillinis avery cheap drug. Scooter'sdailypenicillin wasn't much more than$2 a shot I think, maybe even less. Nine syringes full cost either $12 or $24, I forget which.

I opted to give him the shots myself, but my vet would have given them without charging for the appointment if I brought the bunny and the syringe into the office. It was a 30-second procedure.

I think the most expensive option was Convenia at $50 a shot, but those were weekly at most.

I hope you get this straightened out. :(



sas:?
I need to come to your vet. Honestly, I don't know why they keep charging me for the visit. She does check him over every time I go in - but really, he doesn't need to be weighed weekly. It's just a money grab and I've been too concerned about Oliver to argue. I should have demanded to do the shots myself and bring him in if he got worse. That's what I'm going to do with whatever medication they give me next.

 

naturestee

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2005
Messages
11,817
Reaction score
27
Location
Sheboygan, Wisconsin, USA
Wow, I'm glad I don't have your vet.:?

I wonder if it's a more resistant strain of syphilis. What else could it be treated with? Hmm.

And charging you for an exam every week is ridiculous. You need to move down here... or by Pipp... or anywhere that won't make you pay an arm and a leg for a simple penicillin shot and then ignore the fact that it doesn't work month after month.

Poor Oliver. And poor you!
 

TinysMom

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2005
Messages
15,929
Reaction score
42
Location
, Texas, USA
I'm not a vet - I know you know this - but I want others to know this.

What other breeders have told me (I was just sharing this on Naturestee's thread) is that to get rid of syphillis - you need to do Pen G shots every other day for thirty days. The important thing is that the Pen G is given every other day and for the complete 30 days.

I buy my Pen G at the feed store....and I buy my insulin needles at the grocery store pharmacy.

I'm not saying you have to do this- and I'm not suggesting folks don't see a vet - I'm just saying where I get my supplies...I think I paid a total of $25 for my Pen G and my insulin needes (100) plus an additional $12 for the lactated ringers to "cut" the sting of the Pen G with...


 

Haley

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2006
Messages
9,883
Reaction score
7
Location
Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
Wow Im so sorry to hear you are still having trouble, Nadia. If they are going to require more Bicillin at that price it would be cheaper for you to drive to the border and pick up a bottle from me (its only $10)!

Let us know what the results of the test are.. Poor Oliver!

Haley

Also, heres your original thread: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=35462&forum_id=16I looked in your profile under your topics :)
 

HoneyPot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2005
Messages
2,925
Reaction score
2
Location
, ,
I think if they tell me that we need to give him shots, I am seriously going to tell them I will do them myself at home, and I WILL drive down and get the penG from you Haley. Seriously, I'm so done paying that much. I gave them the benifit of the doubt, but now I just feel totally ripped off.


 

SOOOSKA

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2005
Messages
7,744
Reaction score
26
Location
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
I know what you are saying Nadia, I can't believe they charged us for the post

-op appointmet $50.00 along with the $700.00+ for the surgery/x-ray.

Susan
hase178.gif

 

Haley

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2006
Messages
9,883
Reaction score
7
Location
Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
I also wonder if I could overnight it to you somehow. I know my friend ordered it from online so there must be a way to ship it and keep it cool. Its too bad Im starting my student teaching or Id drive out to Toronto for a weekend...
 

seniorcats

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 7, 2005
Messages
2,193
Reaction score
0
Location
Buzzard Twp., Ohio, USA
Haley wrote:
I also wonder if I could overnight it to you somehow. I know my friend ordered it from online so there must be a way to ship it and keep it cool. Its too bad Im starting my student teaching or Id drive out to Toronto for a weekend...

Dry ice? My Dh has to occassionally get his Caun food products shipped up here and come with some type of dry ice. Maybe google shipping perishable food would give you the product name and source.

http://www.dryicedirectory.com/ Here is a dry ice directory
 

HoneyPot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2005
Messages
2,925
Reaction score
2
Location
, ,
Oh don't worry Haley - I don't have a problem driving down to visit you and your little ones if I need to get it. ;)

Nad
 

AngelnSnuffy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2006
Messages
8,913
Reaction score
2
Location
Blah~Central, Illinois, USA
I hope Oliver is okay!

I also have opinions on the vet'sopinions'. But then again, I dont have a degree. When I take my bun to the vet, I certainly hope they take Randy's opinion, that is what I will pretty much demand or request.:)

I'm so sorry for Oliver, Nad. I hope it all works out. Let me know!

 

HoneyPot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2005
Messages
2,925
Reaction score
2
Location
, ,
I cancelled the biopsy for today. It didn't feel right. I'm going to take Oliver to another vet that is close to my house that someone recommended and I'm going to tell them that I want to do the shots every 3 days and ask how much they are going to charge to show me how to give him the shots and how much the Pen will be.

THEN if that doesn't cure it, I'll take him in for the biopsy.

:S

Nad
 

HoneyPot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2005
Messages
2,925
Reaction score
2
Location
, ,
So I called the vets close to my house that a friend of mine who has rabbits highly recommended, and they said "Oh my god, they've had him on penicillin for 3 months, yes, bring him in right away".

So, I'm taking him in tomorrow evening. Had all his records sent over to them. The doctor there volunteers and supports Rabbit Rescue (which is the big rescue here in Ontario)... so I'm feeling good about this doctor.

AND they're way cheaper apparently - like 1/2 the price of my regular place.

*fingers crossed*


 

Latest posts

Top