OH NO! Help us!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrashAndI

Reaction score
So we got a new rabbit today so small and cute! But as soon as I put it in the cafe with crash he started humping it... I have a feeling it is a girl! And now do I have to get a separate cage for the new bunny?

Oh honey. That's not how you introduce two strangers to each other. Imagine if someone put a strange person in your house and said "here. Love each other." You need to take her out and yes she will need her own cage or enclosure for a while. There is a chance they could fight and get hurt. Rabbits need to be introduced in a neutral territory, where neither has ever been, and slowly, for just a short time each day. Humping is normal behaviour, as bunnies try to determine who is in charge. Is crash neutered? Is the new bunny spayed? Please do your research before you try again, and read this, it may help.

www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/bond.shtml

They are separated and they hopped around In a Natural territory crash is just so much bigger than new bunny! And she was so scared!

They are separated and they hopped around In a Natural territory crash is just so much bigger than new bunny! And she was so scared!

Same thing happened when I got my new bunny, they humped one another to determine who was the boss. (However later on i found out the new one was a male and I had to give him away so he didn't get my unspayed female pregnant) It's so much easier to bond two spayed rabbits. Also spayed male and female combos are a lot easier to bond than male and male. I'd suggest putting them in separate cages next to one another until they're spayed. Couple weeks after spaying they will be good to bond.

Your two bunnies will need to stay in separate cages until they are both fixed. Once she is spayed and he is neutered, then you can begin a bonding process.

It will probably be a few months (depending on her age) before you'll be able to even consider beginning the bonding process. So just settle in to the idea of having them housed separately for awhile. In the meantime, research tons on the bonding process.

Also, if your boy is not neutered, then a cage set up like the one pictured above would need to be changed during these months of waiting so that there are a few inches between the cages. Boys have been known to impregnate a female if the wired divider walls are touching.

This is a cage that one of the people on this forum is using to bond their rabbits

View attachment 15971

As you can see down the centre there is a panel so they can see as sniff one another but my attack or hump. I'd suggest getting something like this!

Hope this helps

These are my guys, both neutered, and this setup was through trial and error. I didn't wait a full 6-8 weeks after neutering the new bunny and started introductions and they didn't go terrible but also didn't go great. So this is my way of bonding slowly. They live next to eachother, with about a 1" gap between shared walls and I swap the bunnies or the litterboxes and food dishes every day or two.

I would recommend keeping a male and female apart until both are fixed. The hormones get in the way of bonding.

Latest posts

Back