Odor Control

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelso

Reaction score
Kelso, I use Woody Pet and find it to be an excellent product.
I change my litter about once a week, for most of the rabbits.
Some need their boxes changed twice a week. As with any
litter, it's going to stink if you don't change it on a regular basis.
Charlotte

I change mine about 2x a week and they are in a very small room and I generally smell nothing...right now I'm smelling a bit due to Keely not being litter trained and she pees on some cardboard I put in there to help soak it up....she pees in the litter sometimes....but when they are using boxes, I smell nothing!

I have a similar question. Has anyone heard of zero odor pet (they sell it on tv)? And if so, do you think it is safe?

I use it. However, when this bottle is gone - I'm not going to use it again - it's too expensive and between Woody Pet and vanilla in the water - I do fine with my rabbits -and I have several of them!

Peg

I have five rabbits and I don't have anyproblem with odor. I change litter boxes every other day. They all getvanilla in their water daily. Once a week I add a very weak, verydiluted amount of tea-decaffinated and sugar or anything added-to theirwater.

How often are you cleaning the litter pan? You may want to tryand change it more often and sees if that helps. I try to avoid usingany type of chemical sprays because their respitory systems are sodelicate. That's just me.

Tina

It isn't the worst rabbit smell I'veexperienced, but he does live in my bedroom so I'm trying to cut thesmell down the best I can. I clean the litterpan twice a week or more,or when I think it needs it. I scrub the pan with a water/vinegarsolution and every week or so I clean thewhole cage.

What do the vanilla and tea do?

Vanilla is used to help prevent FlyStrike. Flies are put off by vanilla. So by putting vanilla in thedrinking water, the urine has the scent of vanilla. Helps keeps theflies away.

The tea helps with the ammonia in the urine. So the urine doesn't smell as strong.

Tina

I change my bunnies litter boxs,about every other day.I have them both in the same cage and they usethe same litter box.There both 100% potty trained and the only time ismell anything is when Im gone for 3-4 days and my little brother feedsthem way tooo many carrots and there pea turnes red it smells and hefeeds them and waters them but to young to change litter boxs sosometimes they go 4 days with out it being changed. those are the only2 ways they smell.

Hi Tina, is that Pure Vanilla extract. My guys & gal drink from a bowl, how much do you use?

Now for the next dumb question what is Fly Strike? Can indoor Bunnies get it?

Look forward to your reply.:apollo:

Soooska

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.;)

Fly Strike tends to happen more to out door bunns. But anyrabbit that is exposed to flies can be affected. We have cows a half amile down the road so we have flies pretty bad. Every time we open thedoor a bunch fly in.

You can use real or imitation it has the same effect. I use imitation because it's cheaper.

Generally a teaspoon for a 16 oz. water bottleandmedium sized bowlor a tablespoon for a 32 oz. bottle or alarge bowl.

Buck taught me the vanilla trick and it sure does work.

Tina

Tina is right.... imitation vanilla extract will do just fine.

As Buck would say, "Add enough to discolour the water, more or less."

It's extremely hard to cure Fly Strike. If a rabbit has awound or a dirty bum, they become vulnerable to a fly laying eggs inthat area. Maggots release toxins into the system and cause a quickdeath. You can hang flystrips if there are alot of flies.

I occasionally give Pebbles some of my morning tea. I drinktea with honey. I diluteher tea withwater 50/50 and she loves it. Ido this to encourage Pebbles to drink more.

Rainbows! :)

dajeti2 wrote:
Vanilla is used to help prevent Fly Strike. Fliesare put off by vanilla. So by putting vanilla in the drinking water,the urine has the scent of vanilla. Helps keeps the flies away.

The tea helps with the ammonia in the urine. So the urine doesn't smell as strong.

Tina

Tina, I know the tea is probably decaf if I remember right - but anycertain flavor? I have mint tea - I wonder if they would likethat (I would think that they would).

Peg

Mint is good for stomach ailments. I usePekoe. I never tried different flavors. Mine love mint so it makessense they'd like mint tea. I know I love the stuff.

Tina

I am far from the most meticulous house keeper(I have two children under the age of three...), but I have never hadan odor problem with Don Cheeto. Does this only happen after sexualmaturity? Is it only the urine? My little stinker deliverately urinatedon the bed the other day (the very first time he has ever done thisoutside the cage) and the sicko side of me smelled it (Why do we sniffstuff that we anticipate to smell foul?!) but there was no odor..... Isit an amononia smell?

It's so funny, I have 8 buns, 6 ferrets and 5rats all in one room, I clean litter boxes every other day and theentire cages and the rat cages weekly, they don't smell atall. Sampson is my stinky bunny!!! It's insane,he's the only bun in my room and boy... I clean his box dailyand I can still smell him, but only when I'm going to sleep, so maybethat's it.

I'm going to have to try the tea...maybe that will help.Orion won't drink water with vanilla, he actually went an entire daywithout touching the water bottle after hediscovered the vanilla in it and I only use 1 Tbsp. per gallon ofwater. I fill a big jug and give it to everyone.The rats won't drink it with the vanilla either, but the ferrets loveit!

I've tried the Bi-Odor and IMO it doesn't do anything. Plus I just don't like it because it isn't natural.

Jen

Back