O/T Wet Tail

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We started treating her with "Dry Tail" yesterdayafternoon. She bit me twice (which is very unusual for her) so I didn'tattempt to use a syringe. I mixed it with her water as instructed andshe actually drank some right away. I'm hoping we caught it in time.She seems to be a little dehydrated and skinny, which are the firstsigns. She hasn't gotten bad diarrhea, but does seem a little weak. Hercage was just cleaned and I'm sure she isn't just wet from sitting inurine. Being dehydrated she will be tempted to drink more. The more shedrinks the more meds she gets. As far a taking her to the vet, I'mconcerned that the stress would be more harm to her than the benefit ofseeing the vet. OTC and vet treatments both have a low rate of successwith wet tail. I'm for continuing the home treatment and praying a lotthat we caught it in time.

We'll keep everyone updated.

Jim

You're in my thoughts and prayers, Danielle and JimD.

I hope she makes it.

-Carolyn

How is she this morning??

The most important thing it to keep her hydrated. If you can, with aneyedropper, try giving her some apple juice or Pedialyte, which shouldre-hydrate her and stimulate her to drink more fluids. Just don't putthe eyedropper in her mouth, she may aspirate the fluid.

There was someone on the HamsterCare forum that's hamster had wet tailso severe the diarrhea was bloody. After getting him to drink somejuice and Pedialyte, he's eating, drinking, and active on his ownagain, and they expect him to make a full recovery.

Athena is not doing well. She hasn't gottenbetter and may have gotten a bit worse. Her tail has lost a little morehair.Her stools are softer/stinky, but not runny. She's weakand a little disoriented. Limited eating and drinking.

I got her to drink a little DryTail/water mixture last night. Sheactually drank some on her own from the bottle and then I put some onher front paws and muzzle. She cleaned herself for 3-4 minutes so I'mhoping she got some of the meds. Her water to drink is medicated aswell, and is supposed to taste good to prompt drinking it.

I didn't have a dropper and will pick one up, but she wants nothing todo with being handled and freaked out on me last night when I examinedher. It took her several minutes just to recover from being gently,ever so gently, picked up. Got bit twice, but that I can get over. I'mafraid of stressing her in any way right now.

I'll post more a little later when I get a chance.

Jim

That poor baby.

I'm so sorry, Jim and Danielle. All you can do is try to make her as comfortable as possible.

You'll certainly be in my thoughts and prayers today.

-Carolyn

Here's the post from the hamster forum, if you're interested:

http://www.hamstercare.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=1153

No one said anything about DriTail in the post, not even the hamsterexperts :? They did say that often water alone may not be enough, andthat Pedialyte is what they need to pull through.

Please keep us posted on her.

m.e. wrote:
and that Pedialyte is what they need to pull through.

I was wondering if Pedialyte would help. Thanks for noting that, m.e.

-Carolyn

Last time i used the dropper to put the meds inher mouth. i learned the hard way not to do that ne more. 10-15 after igave it to her i went back and she was gone... never again... i go inand look at her and i get said. WHY my animals? my MY hamsters?Petilite hydrates them and gives them some of the chemicals back thatthey are losing... my poor babie... i hope she pulls through. she hasntbit ne 1 in over a year (since she had her babies) damnit this sux

Danielle, I'm so sorry. :( :(

Yeah, as far as the eyedropper, you can't put it in their mouth becausethey may breathe the liquid in. That's why juice is recommended. Youcan just hold the eyedropper near her, and the smell should stimulateher to drink the droplets.

I'm so sorry Danielle, I lost a kit today too, soI know how you are feeling right now. :( I hopethat the other one pulls through.

I'll be thinking of you today.

*hugs* Ang xx

Latest posts

Back