Nummy's Story

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonderful pictures..i'm sure Nummy had a fun time outside.

I love this pic!

039.jpg

:sunshine::pink iris::helloIt has been a whole month since my last post. Everything is about the same as my last post in regards to Nummy's health. I did take Nummy for a trip to the vet for his regular dental visit and a progress report on his bladder. The bladder is feeling fantastic and clear of any stones :biggrin:and his teeth well... let's just say that it was "normal" for Nummy but the vet and I refer to his teeth as Frankenstine teeth. One tooth was actually growing towards the back of his throat! Then he had teeth that were growing into eachother, I can't say I am that surprised by that but I am always amazed by it.

025.jpg

I asked the vet if his teeth were still the cause of all his sneezing, and he confirmed that it was likley his teeth causing the issue. He says we can contine to remove his teeth but ultimately the sneezing is not going to do anything to him, so long as he is not sneezing up anything of color. I feel sorry for Nummy when he has his sneezing fits but I worry about doing surgury at his age now. I suppose if it was a need to thing than I would do it but I worry because the last visit took Nummy 2 months to recover from. He has only really been doing well for a short time. I would rather just keep dabbing his nose for him once in a while with a tissue, then put him through that again.

061.jpg

Oh I discovered a wart on Nummy's ear :yuck! I guess it is a common thing according to the vet. So I guess it is going to be staying...I hope it doesn't get bigger. Other than Nummy got a clean bill of health and is doing great!

Daisy made it to the vet too for a lump she had on her chest that seems to be getting bigger. It turned out to be a cyst which the vet feels is only cosmetic for now. I have to keep an eye on it for now. But she is doing well except for the 2 extra pounds that she has put on. I am gonna have to work her extra hard this summer ;). She has been out a bit but it has been a pretty muddy walk latley because of all the rain. Igot her some heartworm meds too for the season so we will be ready to hit the trails this summer!

Dot has also been doing great, she has had a small upgrade to her home since my last post. She had been enjoying a snadwich bag box to play in for a while, so I decided to get her something a little more permanent that that. So I bought her a new toy for her home from the pet store. I will post pics soon. She seems real pleased though and I am always glad to keep her interested in her home.

:shock:Well we have run into another bout of stasis.....:expressionlessI think this time it may have been my fault!! I bought him a really not so good food by mistake. I have been trying to get him to eat a timothy hay enriched diet ever since he had his nasty and most painful bladder stone. I have been trying to only buy timothy hay based pellets as to avoid the excess calcium. Well I bought the wrong food, and it happens to be the exact opposite of what I am going for. :twitch:I only noticed my mistake after he had been eating it for a week. A week later he started showing early signs of a stasis issue. So I checked out the food that I had bought to see the ingrediets only to find out that the pellets may have been the reason for his current state. Well of course once he started to avoid his food I decided I would take action and head down to the grocery store for some of his fave foods. I also knew that he would eat his old brand of pellets too as they are his favorite. I took him off his old brand because they were also an alfalfa based diet so it needed to be cut out from the diet. But in a crunch I figured I could get him eating again. The funny thing is, when I was at the pet store, I was reading the ingredients to see what exactly is in his food only to find out that it was a better quality food than what he was eating alfalfa or not. (He loves Martin brand pellets). Well I then noticed that the same brand of pellets also had a formula for "less active" rabbits, and I decided that would be the best choice. Here is the kicker, the "less active" rabbit pellets are made with timothy hay! :biggrin2:. It does contain some alfalfa too but at least the first ingredient was timothy hay. So I think I have found him the pellet of choice for now. Here are some pics of the food he is on and the nutritional info on them.

045-1.jpg

This brand is Nummy's favorite pellet. It also softens the best if I have to syringe it to if the stasis is bad enough. I find alot of the other pellets are really hard and tend to not soften too good. Nummy has pretty rotten and old teeth so he needs a nice soft pellet.

044-1.jpg

039-1.jpg

So this is what he is eating now. I think it is a better choice for him. I bought him "Nutriphase" which for some reason I though it was a timothy hay based pellet only to find out it is made out of alfalfa meal and contained no timothy hay at all. What was I thinking???:dunnoWell the good news is that I caught the stasis before it got bad. Actually I caught it right before it fully started. So Nummy seems to be recovering rather well. I have been letting him sleep out of his pen the last few nights. It seems to lift his spirits too when he is out all the time. I enjoy having him too but I could live without all the poop.

021-1.jpg

I have also noticed that since having him out of his pen for the last few days has seemed to help his sneezing abit. He still sneezes of course, but I noticed that it has really calmed down. I am starting to wonder if his location in my home is not ideal for him. He currently has his pen set up in my eat in kitchen. He is set up in the spot where my dinner table should be, but since I live with roomates I eat in another location in the home. I am starting to think maybe all the smells may be the problem. My roomate loves to spray those airfresheners around, and not only do I get a headache from it sometimes, Nummy seems to be negativly affected by it. She told me that she noticed he sneezed more when she sprayed it around. She only sprays it in her area of the home but the smell does travel. I also think that maybe he is sensitive to cigarette smoke too as my roomates smoke in their area as well. Their area happens to be right next to the kitchen, and my area is at the other end of the home away from the kitchen. So maybe Nummy is sensitive to the enviroment. I think it may be time to move him to a better location once and for all. I wish I could just let him live outside his pen but he is too messy... I wish he would keep it in the litter pan.

Oh and I have to cut Nummy's nails, I hate doing pet nails sometimes. I get nervous about cutting the dew claws cuz I can't see them good. He has one dew claw... the other is missing and is a little stump type thing instead and it never grows. I don't cut his nails really short just the tips I just don't want to hurt the little guy. I find that rabbit nails don't grow as fast. I have to cut them every 3 months or so. I still don't like doing it though and sometimes I need my husbands help to cut the ones I can't see good. Sometimes it's a 2 man job to get the pets nails done. So I am not looking forward to it, but I won't let the pets know that ;). I know I need to stay confident with my animals since the both (Nummy and Daisy) tend to sense my discomfort with the situation and don't seem to trust me as much or something. If I am feeling sure of myself, everything tends to go smoothly.

I also have some new pics of Dots new hamster home addition...

012-1.jpg

She seems to like it. She was making the box she used to have a bathroom. I had to keep getting a box to replace for her because it would get too soggy. I though a more permanent thing would be a better choice. I left it open on both ends so she could tunnel through it and left the middle front open like the box was. She likes to cruise in and out of it when she is playing at night. I think it's a keeper :D. Here is a cute pic of Dot recently...

011-1.jpg

Dot is such a cute hamster lol. It was a pretty warm day that day and she was streatched out like this.

Nummy is begging for some attention... what a sweet rabbit.

:big wink:What a great long weekend it has been this weekend! Since my last post I have had Nummy living out of his pen in my living area. It seems to be going very well. I have been really thinking about having Nummy live permenatly live outside his pen and be with me instead. As I have stated before, I feel Nummy is a very well behaved rabbit. He doesn't have any interest in chewing up my stuff, cords or furniture. The only thing he really does is leave his droppings wherever he likes. He does pee in the same area so we at least have that covered. He likes to spend most of his time laying out in my little living room. His sneezing is still hanging around but it seems to be better than before. I still have yet to see him get really happy and do some binkies, as a matter of fact it has been a while since I have seen him do a binky.:sigh: He seems happy though and I am happy to see him feeling good.
026.jpg

I have to go buy some cheap rugs though if we are going to make it a permanent thing. I have those blankets down but they are no good for walking on or cleaning up after him. I will be looking into it this week. Of course Nummy's pen is still set up for when I have to go on long trips, but I look forward to seeing this change for him.

Nummy is such a cute rabbit! So precious!!
I'm glad he's ok, my rabbit has been passing through dental issues same way Nummy did, we're afraid of teeth extraction but will do whatever has to be done... hopefully it will be ok (considering there aren't rabbit savvy vets in my country).
It's really cute that Nummy can interact with your other pets. My bun is afraid of animals (even small ones), although he loves people and always wants human company...

I'm so curious about his teeth.. did he get the Frankesntein teeth growing towards his throat extracted too? Were those extracted teeth molars? Let me know how it all goes... I'll keep checking for more updates, also because Nummy is so cute!! I love the pix, he's such a great model! :)

:thanks::rabbithopThank-you for the wonderful comments! In regards to Nummy's frakenstien teeth, Nummy has several wonky teeth I am learning. On his last extraction he had some rather troublesome teeth pulled. One of them happened to be growing into the sinuses. Good thing is I found out it didn't puncture through the sinus. He had 3 teeth pulled. I don't like to do too much all at once since it can cause worse problems and I feel it is rather hard on the animal. Nummy still has some of his teeth, one happens to be the one growing towards the back of his throat, (That one was only trimmed back to a normal size)and he has some that grow towards eachother over his tongue aswell they are also trimmed. His front teeth are good, though they are a slight bit crooked. The vet tells me that Nummy's teeth look rather old and rotten,some of them just come loose and are easy to pop out while he is at his dental appointments. I am not too sure why his teeth are the way they are or if he made regular visits to the vet for his teeth before he was with me. I can tell you that his teeth amaze my vet all the time.:shock:I usually have to bring him in every 3 months for a check up. I think most of the teeth that were pulled we around the back area but I am not certain about that but I will try to find out for you. Nummy's teeth don't usually cause him any problems with his daily life, or cause him much discomfort, they have cut his mouth sometimes and have caused minor infections but nothing that a visit to the vet can't fix.

059.jpg

030.jpg

Nummy looks bigger then the pup!

:laugh:I actually think he is bigger than the dog!!! ROFL.

All has been well though over the last few days. I went away for the weekend so I had to put Nummy back in his pen while I was away. :(I had asked my roomate to watch after him for me. I was only doing an overnight so I knew Nummy would be fine. I felt bad for him though because for the last 2 weeks he has be able to roam freely through my living area. He seems to like being free from his pen, but then again he never seemed to mind his pen. I actually think he liked hanging out in it at times. I suppose I just got fed up with wanting him to be closer to me. I know that Nummy for the most part can be trusted while he is out and about. In 5 years he has only ever chewed through 1 telephone cord. He doesn't chew up or dig the carpet or chew on baseboards or walls. He just hangs out. Usually by a food bowl. :biggrin2:I like having him around though. It just seems like it should have always been this way.

078.jpg

I did end up buyinga cheap rug at the wal-mart so we could get rid of those blankets. It has been great for the clean up. I like thathe doesn't slide across theblanket when jumping off the couch anymore!I would worry about him doing that sometimes. He is after all an"old man".I can worry not now that the rug is here! Nummy doesn't seem to noticethe change, he seems to want to spend his time laying in the hallway on the path I made for him by the wall.

079.jpg

I think he likes the temperature in the hall actually. Last week I had the hubby finally install the air conditioner. I only have one window air conditoner at the moment somy livingroom is kind of warm right now. I have the air on and a fan pointing out my bedroom door into the hallway. I have another fan in my livingroom aswell. Out of all 3 rooms though,he seems to like the hall the bestthese days. I figure the temperature mustn't be too hot or too cold, but just right for him!:biggrin:

Oh my goodness..i just loved that picture of Dot sprawled out like she was in her house..i was like 'aww'..she looks so adorable.

And of course Nummy is as gorgeous as ever..i just love that little bunny..

Thanks for letting me know about his teeth. It makes me happy for him (he's such a brave bun!!!!) and happy and hopeful that my bun will be ok too.
Nummy is such a good boy, doesn't chew anything bad!

Nice blog and cute pets! I have a hamster too, but she's mostly brown. They're hilarious and I find that the solid-sided cages do better to curb chewing behavior at night.

:bunny19Thank-you again for all the nice comments. I am so glad that telling Nummy's story helps others who are going through similar situations. Vivian I think your little bun will do just fine with his teeth, so long as he is under the care of a rabbit savvy vet. Nummy is lucky I figure because it happened to be luck that I came across the Links Road Animal Clinic here in Toronto. I do wish there was a closer place I could go to get his teeth done, but he is in good hands where he goes and that sure does give me peace of mind.

Things have been rather quiet around here for the most part. Nummy seems to have blended right in to the "free" life and I think he figures he should have just been here the whole time! I am so glad that things seem to be working out. I have to lock him out of my bedroom when I go away though, since I don't want Daisy to make a light snack out of Nummy's food, and just to be on the safe side of things. He seems to still be loving the hallway as his place to rest through the day. He spends about 75% of his time there in the hall. I have also noticed Nummy isn't as excitable as he used to be when I first got him. I am starting to wonder if he is feeling his age. Sorry about the lack of pictures in this post... I will post more soon :big wink:.

For some reason, I haven't received the update by email about your blog.
How old is Nummy again?
About MILU, er.. we don't have savvy vets here, but at least the dentist that has been filing his teeth hasn't killed any pets so far (other vets, considered "the best" of the country, kill..).
I'm mad about the fact that MILU had his incisors in good shape and well aligned, and after the last time he had dental spurs filed (less aggressive than the other 2 procedures he had before, as last time the dentist only filed the lower teeth, leaving the upper ones misaligned and too long), my bunny came back home in pain and later I saw that his incisors got misaligned too. This and other things make me not trust any vet here much, but I couldn't find any better option.
MILU is still eating (not as much as before) hopefully he will still be ok for some more days, I don't know if the dentist will extract his bad teeth (I can feel he's not very confident about it), so I pray for a miracle. Hopefully my bunny will get miraculously well and won' need any dental procedures anymore. God only knows how he'll come back home next time he goes to the vet. Most of them have no idea what they're doing, if it wasn't for Rabbits Online and the great advice I was given here, my bunny wouldn't be here anymore.
I'm glad that you have a good vet who took good care of Nummy. He deserves all the best, he's a very special and determined rabbit.
Please post more pics when you can, Nummy is a very sweet and cute bunny!!

:cry2:pray:I am so sorry to hear about that Vivian, I feel terrible for you both. I understand how frustrating this can be, as I still have to go through it with Nummy aswell. Unfortunatly the dental problems don't seem to go away unless the teeth are removed. Please don't have the vet take out too many teeth at once though. I have had a bad experience with that before with another pet.Only remove them if it is necessary for your rabbitsquality of life.I realize Nummy needs to have more teeth removed but I think it is too hard on him to do it all at one time. Nummy is around 5-7 years old. For him that is geriatric! My old man lol. From my experience (which isn't very much to be honest) rabbits don't do well when they are in pain. If you thinkMilu is in pain I would suggest some pain medication. Nummy usually comes around much faster when he is not in any pain.

Is Milu awake for the dental procedure? I am wondering because every vet seems to feel differently about that. Nummy is awake for his dental procedure. He is under no influence of any anesthstetic either.My vet may want to put Nummy out only if it is necessary. Nummy does seem abit stressed out but he does get over it as soon as the vet is not in his mouth. My vet uses dental sissors (that is what it looks like to me)to trim off Nummy's spurs. Nummy's front teeth are a little slanted but not enough to need shaping with the drummel tool. My vet also requires the help of an assistant to keep Nummy's mouth open while the vet does the work, kinda like at the dentist for humans. Anyway, the whole procedure usually lasts a few minuets, sometimes longer if the teeth reqire more attention. It sounds like Milu has similar teeth as Nummy :rollseyes, Milu may not be eating as much because of those front teeth being a problem like that. That unfortunatly needs to be fixed. Are you present for the appointments? I am present at the appointments and to me it seems kinda rough on Nummy to have to get his teeth done the way he does, but really he has no other choice. I also pray thatboth theirteeth will just get better!How often is Milu in for a check up? Nummy sees the vet around every 3 months.Oh andNummy also seems to be in some pain after his dental appointents when they are long ones. His eating does slow down abit too and sometimes he is so sore or stressed that he goes into stasis over it. I try offering softer foods toget him eating again like his favorite, banana!! I hope Milu feels better soon :(.

I have noidea why you would not be notified of this blog?? :?I will check out my settings, maybe it is me.

Sorry again for the lack of pictures in my last blog too, I think that one is the only one without pictures in it!Not alot was happening that weekit has been pretty quiet here.I do however have lots of new pictures of my gang (Mostly all Nummy pics since he is such a wonderful model). We did have a more eventful week though, Nummy had a chance to go outside lastweek. We have been stuck staying in these days as it has been so unusuallyhot at his time of year. I haven't been able to get us all outside for a while.So when we had a nice enough day, we had to go spend it outdoors!

069-1.jpg

We chose to sit on the deck this afternoon because there was a crow in the tree nextdoor pestering some other little birds, we get hawks too around here so I thought it would be safer if we were closer to the house. Nummy has been on the deck before, but he was really interested in spraying everywhere. I had to take a step back because he almost got me a few times :yuck. I wish he wouldn't do that!

094-1.jpg

Nummy could hear the crow going off in the tree next door. It spooked him a little.

084-1.jpg

Nummy looks so weird in this picture! He looked so freaked outlol. He didn't end up actually going on the grass this time. He did eat a few blades though.

098-1.jpg

It was a very noisy afternoon, there was lots of birds around, and some big trucks went by on the street. Nummy was just moving all over the place, exploring the area and the sounds in the yard.

102-1.jpg

104-2.jpg

Nummy made light work of the deck, he made sure he marked his turf and then he decided it was a good time to start to dine on some fresh blades of grass. After that he enjoyed a brief grooming session.

077-1.jpg

Then it was back to exploring again!

090-1.jpg

He even did a big binky during this picture! :biggrin2:I was pleased to see him so happy!

080-1.jpg

Some digging was in order too it seems...

073-1.jpg

Not that bird again! :shock:

068-1.jpg

Gonna go hide now... After all that fun Nummy decided it was finally time to just relax.

111-1.jpg

We had a very nice afternoon outside.The sun started to take away our shade, and it wastime to go back inside. I made a pathwayup the steps into the house andlet Nummy find his way backinside the house.

021-2.jpg

Time for a nap!

As I have mentioned before, Nummy has moved into my living area. He is no longer living inside a pen.Things seem to be going well for all of us in regards to our new arrangements. I made another change to our area though. Just the other day I had my husband hang the frenchdoors in the hallway that seperates us from the rest of thehouse. So now we have our own little area back here. It is very nice and quiet and I like that I am not tripping over the baby gate we had up instead of the doors. I need to have a door or a gate because of the cat that lives with us.She really doesn't get along with my pets for some reason, and we have to keep them seperate. I told my husband to make sure he closed the door in the morning before he left for work, so the cat wouldn't come in. This morning Nummy woke me up thumping on the floor then jumping on the bed towake me up. I was glad he let me know what was going on!:DWhat a good bunny!!! I think Nummy scared her away with all his thumping because when I went to check on the situation, the cat was already out of the area.It was cute though that Nummy was all uptight about the cat this morning. :p

He is blending right in as if he should have been living back here the whole time. I think he looks rather comfortable being out too.I noticed that he mostly wants tobe by himself though, he is usually not in the same room as all of us, hereally seems to enjoy the hallway. He sleeps in my bedroom at night with us though. Like he is our little gaurd dog atthe entry of our room.

056-1.jpg

:sunshine::coolness:It's another hot day here in Hamilton. That means we will be staying inside withthe air conditioning. Things are good, the pets are all doing great. Nummy has been keeping to himself for the most part. He spends most of his time relaxing in the hallway. He seems content about it though. We are looking forward to being able to get back outside though, this weekend doesn't look good. Nummy has picked up a new habbit though, he has been chasing after me in the mornings for a yogurt drop. He loves those things. Last night he even malled my husband to give him a treat :D. He is running the show lately, letting me know what's up lol.

027-1-1.jpg

I enjoy having Nummy around, I have been trying to get him back here with me for a while. Everything is complete now that I have all my pet back here with me! I love it:heartbeat:It is a really hot summer so far too, so I am glad I got all my pets with me where the air is. Nummy's old location is kinda warm since the air doesn't seem to get that far. I figure he needs to stay cool, he is a sensitive old man after all.

097.jpg

Nummy seems to thinks that anything that sounds like a food bag meanshe is getting something. It is funny though because he will chase me around the house, jumping up on the bed and on the couch looking for that treat. I sometimes just give him a scratch on the head, but he still wants that treat! Sometimes I just have to give in lol. He has been running to Daisy's food bowl too in the morning when I am getting ready to serve breakfast. He likes the sound Daisy's kibble makes when it hits he metal food bowl. What a silly little rabbit!:bunnyheart

Nummy has picked up a new habbit though, he has been chasing after me in the mornings for a yogurt drop. He loves those things. Last night he even malled my husband to give him a treat :D. He is running the show lately, letting me know what's up lol.
Well isn't it all about him?;) Mine seem to know the sounds of the banana chip container and the plastic bag the lettuce comes in.They go nuts when either is opened.

Latest posts

Back