Nummy's Story

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:headflick:Thank-you! :biggrin2:

014-1-1.jpg

I am happy to say Nummy is still doing great and he is eating his timothy hay pellets too. :highfive:He is as happy as ever and looking great. I think the new food has given him a boost in energy or something. He is back to eating like a piggy and begging for his treats. He seems to have finally made a full recovery from his last bout of stasis. It was a long one but we have made it!! Nummy is making light work of the new room, I think it is his new favorite place to be. He still wants into my bedroom though, but he likes to be able to have a quiet place to relax away from all the hubub. This week I caught him hanging out on the couch while I was in the other room. I hope he won't use the couch as a toilet...:disgust:

004-2-1.jpg

He didn't want to stay long once I came in the room....

005-2-1.jpg

Nummy has been asking for lots of love too these days, he always comes running over wanting pets and kisses. Of course I always oblige Nummy.

016-1-1.jpg

I am so glad I finally got him to eat those new pellets too. It gives me peace of mind knowing he is getting less calcium in his diet now. He seems to want to eat less of the timothy hay pellets though than his alphalfa pellets. I wonder if the timothy hay pellets are more filling or something. He still gets lots of daily greens, but as usual I can't get my hands on any cat grass and I figure I will have to wait for the spring to get it. He has been in such a great mood for days. He is always running around my room around my legs and down the hall. He is too cute! I am glad he his feeling great.

The funny thing is that during Nummy's recovery last month, Dot seemed to grow tired of her home. I have noticed that her habits are changing. She used to only rattle her bars when she wanted to come out. I would let her out for her evening stroll, and after an hour I would put her back to bed. She would rattle her bars again to see if she could get me to come back, but when she realized that I wasn't coming she would stop. Most nights she spent running in her wheels and packing her nest full of goodies. The last few weeks she has been a little terror though and she is making me crazy :pullhair:. I let her out for her regular stroll, then put her to bed. She then just wants to rattle the bars all night long. She doesn't run in her wheel she just rattles away till it tires her out enough just to go to bed. Her home is a nice size for a hamster, she has 2 wheels to run in, a cozy bed high in the tower, lots of food, what more does she need??

020.jpg

That is what she has for a set up. My husband helped me custom make this home for Dot. I really like that I can see her so good when she isin there. I find that the store bought hamster cages tend to keep you from being able to see the hamster aswell. I have had the big huge contraptions before but they are a real pain to keep clean too.

Well I decided to change Dot's house around for the greater good, even though she is frightened by changes to her home. I thought it would be a good idea to change things though while Dot was awake so she would be aware of the changes instead of surprised when she woke up. She seemed interested right away with the subtle changes that I made.

006-2.jpg

002-2-1.gif

I just gave her a baggie box and moved a few things and voila! The exploring began. It wasn't long before she wanted to do her walk in her ball, so of course I let her out. I let her walk for a while then put he in bed. I wanted to see if she would just rattle the bars, and she did for a moment. She then gave up and decided to do some moreexploring. She seemed a bit more occupied for the night so I got a better sleep. Dot is just waking for the night now, I wonder if she will still like her new place.... as for Nummy well, it's quarter to midnight and it's time for bed. :sickbunny:

Thank-you Denise :biggrin2:

My husband surprised me this valentines with a new camera!!! So of course I had to snap a ton of pics of my pets :biggrin2:I can't help it since they are just too cute. Things have been really good around here, all the pets are doing great and as always keeping a smile on my face. In my last post I mentioned Dotand her interest in her new house arrangements. Well it seems to be going well so far. She isn't spending her nights rattling the cageanymore, exceptfor when it's time for her usual walk. So it's beenback to a good nights sleep again after all.

:jumpforjoy:
100_0344_00.jpg

Sheseems to like where all the things are now placed. I like that I get a nice view of her cuteness too :).

100_0152.jpg

I woke her up for this one.... she isn't too grumpy this time and seems interested in the new camera. I love the face sheis making in that shot too...she is such a sweetie.

100_0308.jpg

Nummy didn't apreciate the flash on the new camera, but he still possedfor me though!!
100_0307.jpg

I don't know if you can tell that his nose is a bit runny in this picture, it comes and goes. It was caused by the tooth that grew into his sinus, it has been removed but he still has sneezing fits and has a runny nose sometimes. Of course that is someting we can live with. Him and I aretwins that way, I am always sneezing and so is he lol.

100_0374.jpg

100_0372.jpg

100_0378-1.jpg

Nummy was pretty active that night, I think the new food is doing something for him, he is eating the Oxbow brand right now. He seems to have more energy on the new food. I am glad to see him being active. Of course I have more pics, and I will add some more soon.

:rabbithopIt has been a few weeks since my last post, there has not been too much going on over here lately. I am glad to report that there have been no health issues with any of the pets. I did find a cyst though on Daisy but I am sure she will be okay. The sun has been coming out alot these days and Nummy seems very content to be able to lay out in the sunlight while he catches his afternoon nap. He has been eating the timothy hay pellets as his regular diet now. I notice that his coat is nice and shiney, and his energy level has even increased since the change. He is consently on the beg for food though. He acts like I don't spoil him enough as it is!

100_0442.jpg

Nummy has really been showing more affection this last few weeks. I am always surprised at how he just changes like that. He has been laying on the bed with me looking for nose rubs, and even seems to enjoy laying there for long periods with me and the dog. It has been really nice seeing him like this. He has been even so bold as to walk all over my lap looking for a rub and a treat! This is progress for us, even after all considering that he has lived with me for maybe 4 1/2 years already. Usually I have to go to him looking for the love.:hugsquish:

100_0462.jpg

He really didn't stay too long on my lap, but I caught him on camera now! It amazes me at how he acts so young at heart too. I think Nummy is going to live a long life. I read somewhere that the average lifespan for a dutch rabbit was 5-6 years. Nummy has already exceeded that! :nod

OMG it is another case of Cat vs. Rabbit lol. A few nights ago I had Nummy out in my room as usual. I have a baby gate up in the hall so the cat can't come in. She is our little "Ultimate Fighter" around here. She will take on anyone including the humans in the home. She has no nails so she is of little concern, but we separate her from the other petsfor good reason. Anyways,we were chillin' in my room with myroommate hanging out doing some facebookin' and the cat is at my gate meowing to get in. Well my roomie decides to bring the cat in with Nummy andDaisy in the room. (Both animals the cat will take on without being instagated). My roomie believes that with the right energywe could get the cat to relax with us.... well here is the evidence to show how the cat responded.

100_0460.jpg

In this photo she is actually looking at Nummy and Daisy. I was already having a feeling that the cat was not happy with their presence on the bed. Before you know it.....

100_0461.jpg

She screamed up a storm and demanded to leave! It was funny though. For whatever reason that cat refuses to just get along with these pets of mine!

Dot has been doing great too. Her new house arrangment has really made a difference. She has decided to make that snack bag box he bathing area. It is very cute. She has even modified it making it custom!

100_0412-1.jpg

I am so glad she is enjoying her home again. She is so cute, I have had 2 other hamsters before her and I must say she is just adorrable! And very photogenic too. The other day I let her out of her ball onto the carpet so she could see what it was like. She just posed for the camera!

100_0285.jpg

100_0287.jpg

She loves to stuff her little cheeks full of goodies too. So much so that she can sometimes freak me out with how full she gets. Sometimes she has stuff literally hanging out of her mouth!

100_0394.jpg

I am not sure if you can see it, but she has tissue squishing out of her mouth in this nice picture of her! She is sucha little wierdy!

100_0404.jpg

She had he cheeks pretty full here too. She had just brought up her stash. This one day I decided to treat her with a rabbit carrot stick treat. I broke it in half for her so she could move it around. When she found them she stuffed one in each pouch and went for her den. She seemed to get stuck in her toob!!

100_0425.jpg

She did manage to find her way in but I was ready to break her out!!! She nearly gave me a heat attack! I went to the pet store and bought her hamster sized carrot sticks for next time lol!

:pink iris:Well spring is finally here! The sun has been nice, warm and inviting. Nummy has been doing great, except for all the sneezing he does. I think it is time to do a recheck on his teeth. I think he is stuck with the sneezing problem though since the damage has allready been done. With that aside all things are wonderfull. Of course Nummy gladly posed for some pics for mum on this wonderful spring day we had a few weeks ago.

100_0876.jpg

Hi! Looking as cute as can be :biggrin2:

100_0872.jpg

What r u looking at?? :p

100_0880.jpg

Give me some lovin'....

He is just too cute lol. I have to say Nummy has been continuously changing into this calm happy little lad. I have been finding him doing things he usually avoids doing like laying on the couch. I figure he must really want to get away from Dot banging into him with her ball, or he just really wants my attention. I am enjoying having him hang out with me on the couch but I could go without the little gifts he leaves behind.:yuck

100_1112.jpg

In this pic he just finished enjoying a yummy carrot stick on the couch! I am glad I put a cover on. Little rascal!

100_1113.jpg

He looks kinda fat in this pic :laugh:I think it is time for a diet!

Well I did buy Nummy a Easter preasent too... I don't know if he likes it tho...

100_1093.jpg

He seems pretty convinced that he would rather have his original love. I sometimes find him snuggled up between the two stuffed animals. Awwww

100_0892.jpg

He loves his baby!!

I took Nummy outside one gorgeous afternoon, It was a wonderfully mild day and I thought he could use some fresh air. Maybe it would help out Nummy's sinuses too. Well I have to put down a couple of sheets on the ground so Nummy isn't spooked while he is outside, and I pulled some grass for him to eat.I try to keep things feeling somewhat framiliar to him. What happened next though was not expected. Things started from this....

028.jpg

029.jpg

To this!

030.jpg

031.jpg

Unbelievable! Considering Nummy is never usually this brave. I guess he just felt ready to give it a try. He didn't travel far, he just went a few steps off the blanket but it is a start to a wonderful thing. I am so proud of my little guy :D. I can't wait till he tries to explore the backyard some more. I will have the camera at my side waiting!! Well he did go back to his blanket where he enjoyed some afternoon pets, a nice bath and a afternoon nap under the shade of the patio tabel.

034.jpg

036.jpg

039.jpg

It was a very relaxing afternoon, even Daisy wanted in on some afternoon sunshine...

047.jpg

We stayed out for a while, and Nummy had his chance to eat some grass, he actually did not eat as much as I hoped he would but I guess he has to get used to it again.

100_0873.jpg

Oh you are so lucky to have a fenced in yard. I need hubby to build me a rabbit run this summer. None of my buns have ever been outside.

I guess he couldn't resist being on the grass or something, I am so glad he can actually become one with nature :biggrin2:. I look forward to chasing the little guy around the backyard this summer. I hope we have some nice mild days cuz it gets too hot out here for Nummy sometimes. The weather has taken a back seat this week so we have to stay indoors. It just feels so confined after being back out in the sun!! This will be Nummy's second official year of experimenting outdoors. Last summer we made it outside, but Nummy never left the blanket. He ate some grass though and wanted to just lay out. He also hung out with me on the deck a bit, of course he had his trusty blanket right there so he felt ok with it all. Everywhere he goeshis "girlfriend" goes too, so he seems even more content with his enviroment lol.

100_0899.jpg

Happen to notice who he is sitting beside?? lol.

I think this summer is going to be a fun one, especially if I have to chase Nummy around. He is fast too for an "old guy" :adorable::biggrin2:.

Wow i enjoyed reading your blog so much...I believe in fate...so i believe you were mean't to be at the vet that day when that guy brought Nummy in.

What a gorgeous bunny he is and just so very lucky to have such a great home with someone to take such good care of him the way he deserves.

Your other pets are just adorable as well

Looking forward to more Nummy stories

:sunshine::purplepansy:Thank-you all for your kind comments. I am glad to hear that Nummy's story brings as much joy to others as he does for me :biggrin2:. He is my little angel and he always puts a smile on this rabbit mum's face!

013.jpg

We had a fun weekend, my roomates went away for the weekend so it was a great time to use up some space for fun. I occupy 2 rooms in my home so Nummy is used to having access to those rooms when he comes out. So it is a real treat to get to look around another room for the day. I made some blanket paths for Nummy from my sitting room to the front room. Nummy was loving all the open space. I love giving Nummy new things to do and having him enjoy new experiences. So he laid out most of the afternoon in the large front room enjoying the peace and quiet :D.

008.jpg

He would come and bug me if he wanted some treats or if I ruffled any bags that sounded like food. But he seemed like he was in a great mood and enjoyed being out and about.

006.jpg

Nummy was laying with Daisy a bit too last night. He doesn't mind being with her as long as she isn't barking. That always scares him away! I did catch Nummy braving the hardwood to get into my bedroom though, I had made his blanket path so that he could not go in my bedroom because he likes to pee on the bed sometimes. He has to be supervised in there so... he got in anyways! He needed to only brave the small gap and he did. So I though maybe we could try to get used to the hardwood together. Well when I placed him on the hardwood he just froze right up. He backed up into a corner and cowered from the thought and seemed desperate for some rescuing. Of course he wasn't there long but when I went to him he flug himself into my arms! :shock::biggrin2:. I guess we will just have to stick to the blanket trail.

001.jpg

Dot thought she might steal Nummy's yummy carrot stick... I don't think Nummy was in the mood to share though.

Nummy seems to be eating his grass that I have been leaving at night. I gave him a few blades, around 5 or so, when I came to give him his breakfeast I noticed the grass was gone. I am glad to see he is eating it a bit more. I gave some to Dot too, just a blade though and she dove on it! I think she really likes it. I don't want to give too much of it though since I don't know how they will react to it. I figure doing less might be the safer approach.

018.jpg

Oh how I wish I could help out poor Nummy and his sneezing fits! The poor little guy has these fits quite abit and there is nothing I can do about it. I can relate though since I am a allergy sufferer and I feel his pain. With the both of us going we use up lots of kleenex!:weee:I have to wipe his nose for him too sometimes just to help out with some of the wetness. The vet said allergy med will just make him drowsy and I don't want that. I guess we will just have to keep on going as we have been. It seems like the fresh air makes us both feel better though.

019.jpg

Warmer days are on the way so I am going to have to make sure we can get out in it again. I am sure we will have a great time! :biggrin2:

:headflick:I just thought I would post a few more pics of the gang! Everyone is doing great as usual and I think we are all ready to start the summer!!:biggrin2:

100_1115.jpg

010.jpg

Aww he is grooming his new girlfriend. Although his little puppy dog will forever be his # 1 mate :love:

100_0998.jpg

Dot was being a little cutie as usual. She wanted to come out in her ball really bad :p. She always gets her way.

100_1055.jpg

:laugh:She looks so silly when she chews on her bars... her teeth are really yellow. I thing she needs to start brushing!

100_0418.jpg

There's always time for some broccoli... only if you like it that is. Nummy hates broccoli I found out, and Daisy wont eat it unless it is cooked!

:mrsthumper:Well it was another sunny day here in Hamilton. :sunshine:

It was a perfect day to go and enjoy the fresh air, and of course that is the very thing we did. Nummy has been sneezing a whole heck of alot these days, so I figure maybe some fresh air might just be the type of medicine Nummy needs. I just had to get the gang (minus Dot) to spend an afternoon in the great outdoors. We also had a few extra friends come along for the fun, my roomate and her pets decided to come outside too and enjoy the sun. :bunnydance:It was so nice and relaxing just to lay out in the sun, so nice and warm. I am so pleased that Nummy is such a social little dude, he welcomes new friends easily to join us.

029.jpg

Ahhh... the great outdoors! Nummy is always cautious when entering a new area. I guess for him being outside is usually pretty unframiliar territory considering he is only able to be outside at certain times of the year. Usually spring is the best time for him to be out, it is pretty mild out at this time so we try to find nice days to come out and relax or play! :pinkbouce:

025.jpg

Nummy is always ready for a snack too... he plays cute really well and usually get what he wants too!

046.jpg

At first Nummy decided he only wanted to lay down for a bit. I suppose he wasn't quite ready to do any exploring. He had some company aswell...

089.jpg

That is Winnie! She is a very old lady and she is very friendly. She insisted that she had to be in the picture. Nummy wanted to know what was going on with this aquaintence on his blanket. I think having Winnie around made Nummy feel like he was in the house or something because he was starting to get a little more confortable with his surroundings.

034.jpg

050.jpg

:biggrin2:Pretty impressive lol! He came all that way so he could eat a treat with Winnie.

053.jpg

Look how far he is from the blanket!!! I don't even think he notices the difference any more...

044.jpg

Well maybe he does, but wow! what an improvement. To be honest I thinkNummy just feels more confortable on his "area". Even inside our home Nummy has his "spots", I figure it might be like that when he is outside too. He continued to venture off abit here and there, but only after me if he thought I had treats or was going some place he needed to follow.

031.jpg

He was following me around the blanket in that picture lol. He is such a little cutie!

030.jpg

Most of the afternoon Nummy spent on his blanket. And of course Winnie needed a spot on the blanket too. Nummy didn't seem to mind the company at all and found himself a nice quiet spot of his own.

066.jpg

It was actually pretty eventfull this afternoon. I have so many pictures of our wonderful afternoon of fun. We had a yard full of pets and Nummy was soaking up the adventure! Needless to say it was very nice.

Latest posts

Back