Now a trio...terrible litterbox habits...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bethstang

Reaction score
Hi,

I had 2 bonded neutered/males, introduced a 3rd neutered/male. It was a bumpy road at first, but now all 3 are bonded and have been for approximately 2 months. They or someone is not urinating in the litterbox. They are urinating, a bunch, on a sheet that is in their enclosure. Each had wonderful litterbox habits before the bonding of the three. They are housed in a large x-pen. Should I decrease the x-pen size in order to encourage use of the litterbox? what should I do? HELP!!

It's possible that the rabbit who is at the bottom of the pecking order is not allowed to use the box. Either that or the one at the top is spreading his scent around to show that he's boss. I agree with decreasing the pen size somewhat, but I'd also suggest adding an additional litterbox, with three buns you need to make sure there's enough space for them to go when they need to go.

Wow 3 males.. I've been having trouble with my 2 males. xD Add another box should help.

I would probably add more litter boxes instead of diminishing space. I would also consider removing the sheet until their habits improve.

It's fairly normal for bunnies to lose some/all litter habits post bond.

This would make me nervous. I had the same thing happen when bonding a trio. One male kept peeing outside the boxes (I actually had 2 for them to use). In hindsight, I think it had something to do with territory.
They were together for 4 weeks but then had a falling out. Two of the boys just went at each other seemingly out of the blue.
I certainly hope this doesn't happen with yours, but the peeing thing would make me think that something isn't quite yet settled in their hierarchy/bonding.
Getting another litter box sounds like a wise suggestion.

Latest posts

Back