Not rabbit, but need all pet owners/lovers opinions, please?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynda

Reaction score
cadbury.jpg

Cadbury has NO interest in food.

Vet gave me Canine/Feline Hill's Prescription a/d (usually used toboost appetite after surgery) and n/d (usually used for cancer patientsbut smell is so strong he thought it might get her interested) andpills to crush to help her digest it.

She doesn't want it.

She'll drink from her water dish but snubs her nose at food...all kinds.

I'm syringe feeding her.

Vet said, "Maybe her system is starting to shut down and we're at theend with her." She's 13-14 yrs old. She's down to 5lbs/skin and bones.

Vet wants me to call Monday and let him know what she's doing/not doing.

My question is, how long would you force/syringe feed your pet before you "let her go"?

Wait until she loses interest in people, etc?

Cadbury, when she's awake, will come to me when I walk in the door and she still follows me when we're outside.......

We've had quite a few sleep-overs here with the kids' friends and shedoesn't "hide" from them. She goes to each and every one until somebodypets her.

When she's really ready to go, will she give more obvious signs like wanting to be left alone, not coming when I call, etc?

If I give it a week, maybe she'll go on her own?

If I give it a week, maybe she'll suffer somehow during that time?

????????

What would you do

????????

I'm so sorry you are so worried.

If it were me, if she is allowing you to syringe feed her and she isstill alert to her family and not in sign of pain or discomfort thenallow her time.

If she is withdrawing it may be time to let her go.

Keep us updated and best wishes...

LOL

mummybunny xx

First, ((HUGS)). It's never easy to say good-bye to a companion.

I, personally, would opt for sooner rather than later. I feel itis a matter of respect and dignity for our furred friends, and I wouldhave a hard time holding on if I knew that the quality of life was fastslipping away.

That's just my opinion. Whatever you decide is - ultimately - the right choice for you and for Cadbury.

Give her a kiss for me :)

~Emily and the Fuxxbutts~

Oh that's tough.

I had a lab named Puddin who had diabetes and was blind and wouldn'teat her dry food sometimes, so either we'd try mixing some wet food inthere with it, or we'd make gravy to pour over it with beef bouillon(sp?) and water.

We also tried crushing up some cheese crackers or something she likedto try to get her to eat. I don't know how else to help but that's whatwe did when Puddin wouldn't eat.

Sometimes she wouldn't eat from her bowl but then if we held it in ourhands or put it on the floor and tapped to show it was there she'd eatit.

I hope everything goes well. :)

This is such a difficult topic. For mepersonally, I would continue with the syringe feeding until I begin tosee that she is going downhill. When that quality of lifestarts to go and the animal is in pain, I would say it is time. If theanimal is still happy and mobile and taking from the syringe, Icouldn't do it. I think when the time comes, you will know itin your heart. I am so sorry you have to go through this.

I'm so sorry that you have to make thischoice. There's really no right way. I think Imight syringe feed her if she allows it, for as long as she still seemsto be enjoying herself. If she struggles against being fed orloses her "spark," then I would say it's time to let her go.This is what I say now, but I've never been in this type of position.

As long as she is fairly alert and willing to besyringe fed, I'd let her live. When she appeared to be inpain or wanting to let go - then I'd let her go. To me,alertness, being pain-free, willingness to live (or lackthereof of any of the three)- are what help me make the decision.

Its a tough choice. Saying goodbye is never easy - especially when you are the one who made the choice.

Peg

Poor baby. I'm not sure what to tell you, butknow that whatever decision you make IS the right one for both of you,don't feel guilty about putting her down if that's what you feel isbest. Take it day by day and just keep looking at herprogress. Losing interest in people, not moving around often because ofpain, fights to the point where it's impossible to even syringe feedher; are all signs that it might be time. We put our goldenretriver of 18 years down after her quality of life was seriouslydegrading. She could walk without one of us holding her up and walkingher, she coudln't stand up, she couldn't alert us anymore that she hadto use the bathroom and would go without her even being aware.
**A BIGBIGBIG hug for you and Cadbury**
Let us know what happens, take care!

Lynda,

I am very sorry about Cadbury. It is a difficultsituation. It is hard to play with destinysometimes. I am not one to tell someone how to handle anaging member of the family, but I think I can understand.

This is touchy. Especially when you have 13 years with yourfurry little baby. My dog went through almost the same thingrecently. We knew for months she was goingdownhill. Our whole family talked about it and decided wewould know when it was time for our Chloe to go. We talkedabout her not being able to eat or drink or get up. She gotbad in the end. She lost her sight in one eye, but thatlittle toughie, she kept going.

One week it got so bad, she could barely get up. We decidedwe would have a mobile vet service come to Chloe to euthanize her on aSaturday. But Tuesday she was in such bad shape.Refusing water and food, and she couldn't get up out of the hotsun. I carried her to her favorite spot under her favoritetree. Called the vet to come over ASAP. Called mymom, she came home. I called into work and had one last daypetting Chloe and telling her I was sorry. I felt TERRIBLE todo that to my friend. She always trusted me so much, and I dothis!! Let me tell you, after that morphine was administered,and she was sleeping, and snoring loudly, I felt suddenrelief for her. She was finally resting peacefully.Not a care in the world. It had been so long since she had agood night of sleep. So long since she enjoyed walks andtreats. She was a weary traveller, and I smile when I stillcry for her. She was my best friend. My littleshadow. My little furry-eared Chloe-Girl.

You will know when the time has come. Trust me, I prayed forher everynight, hoping God would take her in her sleep. Shecouldn't wait for God any longer. :(

Please keep us posted. I will pray for you and Cadbury.

Hugs!

Lynda,

This is such a difficult situation. I didn't even read theother responses for fear of being upset. I can only tell youwhat I would do and offer any kind of support possible. Ithink I would continue to syringe feed her, but if that becomes astruggle or she starts to not seem to enjoy your or your kids companyor seems to be in pain, it is time. She will tell you whenshe's ready. I really believe that. They let youknow when you need to let go. Possibly the best thing you cando is reassure her that it's okay for her to move on. Theyneed that as much as people do. Tell her you will be alright,that you will miss her and always love her, but if it's too much forher to go on, she can let go.

You and your family are in my prayers.

:hug:

Jen

Thanks everyone.

She really didn't enjoy the feedings today. I'm leaning now towardshaving fresh food available with her water and if she happens to eatsome.........

Two days so far with not eating on her own. I guessif,tomorrow or Monday, she doesn't go to the kitchen todrinkor follow us somewhere, Tuesday will be "the day".

Thanks again!!

hug.gif

Much love from...

~Emily and the Fuzzbutts~

I'm so sorry to hear this... :( :( Idon't have anything to offer that someone else hasn't alreadysaid...but I agree, you'll know when its time. Hang in there,I'm sorry to hear your going thru this.

Having gone through something similar,you will know when it is time. She will let you know. Spend as muchtime as you can telling her how much you love her. Let her know youwill miss herso much but that if fighting is getting to hardthat it's ok to go.

My heart goes out to you and your family. It is never easyletting them go. I will be praying for you and Cadbury and yourfamily.

Tina

Sorry your going through this.. There is no easyanswers. I have a sitation with my oldest cat.. She is 15 and now onlyeats canned food and meows alot.. Mostly telling me she wants toeat. After she eats she is quiet but for the most part shelives up on the cabinet. Pretty high up. She does come downto use the little box and if i dont give her the can food she comesdown to meow at me.. So I am kinding wondering about her these days..

Hope your little doggy gets better.

Cristy

Hi and sorry you are going through this, it issoo awful I know. In my experience my dogs have made it very clear tome. They have started to wander as if looking for somthing and appearanxious. I dont think you are necessarily just prolonging her life byfeeding her as she is accepting it, although she may be just anincredibly amenable and trusting girl. You have an awful decision tomake that I am sure you dont want to but because you obviously loveher, you will find the strength to do that last thing for her when thetime is right.

hugs to you for now and when the time comes. One thing is that at leastwith animals we can make the choice for them unlike humans, which is somuch more dignified

Lynda, (hugs)

I'm very sorry you have to go through all of this. Your heart will tellyou what to do. I will be praying and thinking of you and Cadbury.

:pray:

Lynda wrote:
if,tomorrow or Monday, she doesn't go tothe kitchen to drinkor follow us somewhere, Tuesday will be"the day".
I'm sorry Lynda, that Cadbury is nearRainbow's Gate. I hope you can keep her happy and comfortablefor as long as possible, but only youknow when its time. Cadburyhadthe best home and love she ever had, and with youshe will go humanely and with dignity.

Rainbows

pinkyp wrote:
atleast with animals we can make the choice for them unlike humans, whichis so much more dignified
So true. I watched my Dad when he was no longer able to eat/drink...hehad Parkinson's and chose not to have a feeding tube or anything whenthe time came....he was ready to go but his body seemed to just takeforever.

Dad "finally" went in January. I can't let my boys just watch and wait with Cadbury.

She's resting comfortably. She has food and water nearby if she wants it but I'm not "forcing" her today.

The kids and I will take her to the park tomorrow for a littlebitand I'll call the vet to see if we can bring her in onTuesday.

Thanks again for the prayers and good wishes, etc.!

Latest posts

Back