Not "Potty"ing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thing JBun was here to help you with this. It does sound like a gas episode, maybe due to carbs. Celery is very watery and many people say it doesn't have any nutrition. I'm not sure that's true, but something that watery could cause problems. I hope you continue to get more poops of a more normal size and shape. I've been there, staying up all night watching for poops. The quality of the pellet is also important. Is it a pellet mix or just the extruded grassy looking bits? Also, some pellets have higher amounts of carbs than others. You want one that is at least 20% fiber, preferably more.
http://www.sandiegorabbits.org/diet/place-pellets-rabbits-diet

She's on Oxbow, no fancy anything. Just plain pellets.

Unfortunately things took a turn for the worse earlier this evening and she's now at the emergency vet's hospital for the night. I'm just trying not to go slowly insane waiting to hear news.

Wow, it really seemed like she was feeling better. I'm glad you were able to get her into the vet, to get some help. I hope she'll be feeling better soon.

She's been there two nights and is scheduled for a third. She keeps getting better leading up through the night only to get worse again the next morning. She went from small irregular poop (yesterday morning) to softer, wetter poop that stuck to her rear end a bit. She'd begun refusing medicine, water, and food, and got head shy. I couldn't even force-feed/water her without panic ensuing, so I took her in through a pretty bad snow storm. When I brought her in she was dehydrated and her gut wasn't moving at all.

I'm starting to get worried as my funds to handle this are steadily draining.

Much better, thanks!

After 3 nights in the e vet hospital I was able to pick her up after work. They said she was obviously ready to go home when she chewed through her IV line twice that afternoon (the little stinker). I've been giving her more greens than usual, maybe 3-4 times a day (green leaf, cilantro, dill, soon I'll pick up romaine), less pellets, and leaving her hay unlimited as usual. Her appetite is back up to where it used to be, though her poop production is still down a bit. On the bright side, they're coming out pretty consistently the right shape and size. The vet gave me Metoclopramide to administer 1mL 2x daily for 5 days after she got home just to insure things keep moving.

All in all I think this whole adventure cost me about $700? I could cry for my wallet, but I'm glad she seems to be feeling better. :')

I'm really glad to hear she is ok and doing much better. They can be expensive little buggers sometimes :) but from my experience, I'd much rather spend the money than lose them.

Here, here. I just hope we keep moving forward and get past all this. I don't know if my heart (or wallet) could take another round!

Phew. I'd give some probiotics or critical care (contains probiotics) as well as the metoclopramide.

Latest posts

Back