Not Eating His Hay...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hokankai

Reaction score
I have not seen Theodore eat any of his hay since I've had him. He has a rack full of timothy and orchard grass hay and he doesn't even seem interested in it at all. He'll much alflafa, but he's an adult neutered boy and it's high in protein...

What do I do? I feed him about 1/8 cup of pellets a day and some veggies. He just waits for the pellets and veggies rather than munching hay when he runs out :?

We had the same problem with Nibbles. We had a big rack of hay and he would barely touch it. We tried putting hay in different places and he now LOVES eating it out of a big brown paper bag. We just used a paper grocery bag and filled it about half way with hay. He likes to go inside the bag to eat or he'll dig the hay out and spread it around his NIC cage. It's not necessarily the neatest thing, but he eats it!

mdith4him wrote:
We had the same problem with Nibbles. We had a big rack of hay and he would barely touch it. We tried putting hay in different places and he now LOVES eating it out of a big brown paper bag. We just used a paper grocery bag and filled it about half way with hay. He likes to go inside the bag to eat or he'll dig the hay out and spread it around his NIC cage. It's not necessarily the neatest thing, but he eats it!

Definitely find a way like mdith4him did for Nibbles. The alfalfa will attract him because it's sweeter than timothy hay. Put some in his litter box. Found my boys, who love to lounge in their litter box, will happily lay their munching.

Have to be creative sometimes with bunnies.

K :)

That's funny because I just moved it OUT of his litterbox because he didn't seem to be touching it, haha! Oh well, I'll experiment some and watch how much gets eaten.

hokankai wrote:
That's funny because I just moved it OUT of his litterbox because he didn't seem to be touching it, haha! Oh well, I'll experiment some and watch how much gets eaten.
Believe me, I've been experimenting on how all of them eat myself. I have 4 bunnies and all have their ways of eating and what they like and where they like it.

I put Willard's hay in his litter box and the first thing he does is start pulling it out of it and then eating it. Don't sweat the small stuff. You will find the way your bunny likes his hay served. Just observe.

K :)

I noticed Blossom was not eating much of her hay so at night I took her pellets out of her cage and just left the hay and now most of it is gone in the morning.

That's what I did and I woke up to find the hay rack knocked over and hay in the litterbox...so at least he's acknowledging it! Haha

Peter wouldn't touch his hay either, so, we cut his pellets down a little and took his crock out overnight. He' now one of premier hay eaters and doesn't eat that much of his pellets.

Latest posts

Back