Nose mucus

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullsgirl80

Reaction score
Sometimes my rabbit Sid gets white mucus around his nose. It will show up and then he'll clean it and I won't see it for awhile. It's not yellow mucus. White. Has anyone ever seen this before? Last time he had it, I took him to the vet and his lungs sounded fineImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1382051372.643692.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

White discharge in rabbits indicates an upper respiratory infection. It needs to be treated with the appropriate antibiotics or it can get more severe and cause even more health issues. It may be helpful to have a culture and sensitivity test done to determine the bacteria and the antibiotic that would be most effective in treating it. Sometimes the URI doesn't ever clear up completely, so this may be an ongoing thing where you will need to treat again in the future. When you went to the vet last time, didn't the vet explain what your rabbit had and treat it with antibiotics?

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sneezing.html
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

The vet told me that if he gets it again and it stays then he will do a sensitivity test. My old vet moved away and the vet I found after just kept putting him on meds. It would go away but then come back. Usually before he wouldn't move or eat. This time and the last time I spotted the mucus, which was two months ago, he is fine. Eating and drinking like normal and running around like crazy and being happy.

My new vet told me to bring him in when the mucus is present for a few days. Before he would get mucus then by the time I got him into the vet a few days later, it was gone and his lungs sounded fine. So it was costing me a fortune bringing him to the vet all those times. Not saying I wouldn't spend the money to get him better but you know what I mean.

Plus the vet said if Sid were to change in eating or moving then that would def be a red flag.

I guess I will watch him and if it doesn't go away then call the vet to have him do that test

It sounds like you've done all you can until you are able to get a culture done. URI's can just be one of those really difficult illnesses with rabbits, but it seems like your rabbit is doing pretty well despite it.

It may be that your rabbit wasn't on antibiotics long enough. I know some rabbits have to be on them for months, and the right antibiotic is pretty important.

I just got home from the gym and there's no mucus. He's running around his pen as we speak lol

He's been on them 4 times since march of this year. He's had a lot of health issues but has been really good the last few months (knock on wood). I found him and his brother in a box, in the snow so I rescued them when they were 1 month old. Sid seems to be the runt of the litter. He's smaller then his brother.

Back in March he was diagnosed with e cuincili. He was never tested for it, never had the head tilt, just paralyzed in the two back legs. Once he got on meds he started to improve the next day. By the 4th day, he was 100%. The vet I have now doesn't believe he ever had that. In 35 years of doing that, he's never seen a rabbit recover that fast. But, he didn't treat him then so he can't rule it out

When he was on meds he started on them for 2 weeks then they moved it up to 28 days

Latest posts

Back