No Treats For You, Mr. Bun Bun!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SablePoint

Reaction score
Mr. Bun Bun has always hated our cats and he has attacked them - very viciously too, leaving bite marks. Rabbits are territorial and are well known to attack other species of pets, but I can't believe he would attack(serious-like, like he wanted to kill it) a kitten so much smaller than him!

I recently rescued a stray kitten who's atleast 6-7 weeks old. He loves Mr. Bun Bun, cause he's the only 4-legged furry friend that wouldn't swat or hiss at him and actually "enjoyed" the kitten's company. Both touching noses through the cage. The kitten would sleep beside his cage too. So cute.

But this was just around his cage while Bun Bun was in it. The first time I let them see each other was in the bathroom as I cleaned my room(I put Mr. Bun in there while I clean his cage). I watched them the whole time. It was sooooooo cute how the kitten fallowed Bun Bun around and rubbed up against him like he was his mommy/daddy. I wanted to grab some pics, but this adorable behavior quickly stopped as Bun turned around and snapped at him with front paws. He was removed. That behavior I never expected.

Today, I let Mr. Bun Bun get his daily excersise by letting him run around in my room. The kitten was in there too, but I thought aggressive behavior wouldn't ocure since Bun Bun now has lots of room. He got really interrested into the kitten as he fallowed him around the room, making those soft buzzing sounds. I wasn't going to turn my back though, I want to make sure nothing happens.

Kitty was eating out of his food and Bun Bun hops up to him and sniffs him. The kitten turns around to sniff back at him and he suddenly
folds his ears back and tackles the poor kitten with an angry grunt. He flips him over and the kitten hisses at him, Bun Bun continues to growl angryly. Thank god this only lasted a second, and no biting and kicking occured, as I was there to snatch Bun Bun up by the scruff and return him to his cage! I was very upset! If I wasn't there, he probably would of killed the kitten!

Bad Bun!

The kitten was not bitten and didn't have any injuries - but now he's scared of Bun Bun.

I can understand him attacking an adult cat or a cat near his size, or atleast an animal trying to harm him(big or small) but why on earth would he attack something so small and harmless?

Guess it must be because he hates cats, he must hate kittens too. Or maybe it's just a species thing, but why did Mr. Bun Bun have to take it so seriously? He could of just grunted and lashed his paws out, mounted, or thump his foot. I don't see how something half his size would be considered a "threat to territory" or what ever else he see's in this kitten.

Do you think Mr. Bun Bun has a psychological problem? Or is it just natural? If it's natural, explain why, it sounds interresting. I mean, I don't want Bun Bun to hate me or whatever.

Regards,

SablePoint

Grabbing the bunny by the scruff not a good idea.

Is Mr. Bun Bun neutered?

with us it was the other way around. one of our cats attacked my BunBun because she was annoyed by his advances ( I'm sure that's what it was) It took me some time to get over it and not be angry with her. I was furious but I realized she was only doing what was natural for her as a kitty.

I hope it all works out and that your BunBun learns to get along with the kitty. :hug2:

I'd try to avoiding judging your rabbit too much. They are animals and many many animals are territorial / agressive towards one another. To us it seems awful to attack such a cute little kitten, but your rabbit just saw him as someone invading his space.

I would not let the animals associate, especially because this has now happened multiple times. Id be suprised if the rabbit actually killed the kitten, but as the cat gets older he could easily kill the rabbit. In the long run I think its the rabbit who would be in danger, even more so because the cat now has a reason to mistrust the rabbit.

JadeIcing wrote:
Is Mr. Bun Bun neutered?

That would be my question only because you mentioned that Bun Bun was softly buzzing at kitten. That is usually part of a rabbit's courtship ritual, which makes me think that Bun Bun started out with other things on his mind, but realized kitten was an impostor. That could also explain Bun Bun's desire to be territorial.

Just thoughts...

myheart

JadeIcing wrote:
Grabbing the bunny by the scruff not a good idea.

Is Mr. Bun Bun neutered?
When I grab my bunnies by their scruff, they go into a trance like state o_O I don't necessarily think that it's that bad... Just saying...

Latest posts

Back