No Fly Strike-only ringworm

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekcip1

Reaction score
Found out at the vet today that poor Fluffballdid not have fly strike, but had two absesses that were a secondaryinfection from the ringworm, which I didn't know she had and so was nottreating her. We thought her neighbor had chewed the fur offher face when it was actually the fungus making the hair shafts brittleso they were falling off. Fluffball and her two kits havebeen treated for the past week for the ringworm, but I took them all tothe vet, just to be sure that wasall I was dealing with, andit is. Of course, I have 3 patches of it, treating metoo. But we got a different onintment to use as the kits haveit around thier eyes and what I was using wasn't good for thatarea. Also, have to give them a bath with this shampoo once aweek for 4 weeks to get rid of the fungus they have on their feet andfur from grooming.

Now have a question for any of you who are vet techs, or work in avet's office. The vet used an ultra violet light to show methe other areas where the fungus was, but no leisons present.I looked up this tool on the net and found its wavelength was 360 andused UVA light. Further research showed that this type of uvlight and wavelength is the same as that of Black Lights. So,my question is if I went and got a black light bulb and put it in adrop light, would this show up the fungus like the one the vetused? If so, I could scan all the buns and see if any othershave the fungus even though there are no outward signs.Thanks in advance for any info about this. Donna

Further research showed that this type of uvlight and wavelength is the same as that of Black Lights. So,my question is if I went and got a black light bulb and put it in adrop light, would this show up the fungus like the one the vetused?

Yess Donna,

you are correct. A Black light will do the same and you will see whatyou saw in the Vets office. So long as you can direct the lightaccordingly.

Dennis,C.V.R.;)

I have Chickens too! For the fresh Eggs!

Dear Dennis,

Thanks so much. Will go and get one today. Your henis a beauty. We have barred rocks and Rhode Island Reds foreggs and also some Amerucanas. I sell the eggs, pays a littletoward the grain. We also raise Eastern WildTurkeys. I sell those hatching eggs on Eggbid in season, andwe sell the birds, ready to eat. Just hatched out 10 from thelast 24 eggs we got. Danny has a pair of BantamGolden LacedCochins for 4-H and one Golden Seabright, which we just found out is arooster. He uses him for showmanship. Will begetting him 2 hens at the end of the summer. He also has andold Leghorn hen "Lucky" (Standard) SHe was the only one who hatched outof the batch we had in in 99. Hence her name. Then2 years ago she survived a fox attack, which really tore herup. But she is still laying her eggs. SHe will comeright in the house if she can, thinks she belongs in here. Drinks outof the community water bowl and will eat the cat's and dog's food ifany is in the bowls, a real character. Thanks again for theinfo, hopefully with the black light I can get a handle on this outbreak. Donna

Latest posts

Back