Nipping/biting during grooming time

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amethystkytten

Reaction score
I try to brush Cookie everyday or every other day.She doesn't seem to mind but she will lick my hand and after a few minutes she will sniff around and try to what seems like chew on the towel over the couch or she will grab my shirt sleeve/pant leg.Its a weird bite not like a hard "Im annoyed leave me alone" bite its like she is chewing at whatever she gets a hold of. I am a little scared she will bite my hand if she catches it. She lightly nipped me the other day I felt teeth but she did not bite down hard just stuck her mouth over my hand and applied a light pressure,is this something other rabbits do how do you stop it? Am I just irritating her with the combing of her mats and maybe its causing her to bite? I try not to pull I know her skin is delicate but she has some big nasty mats.:panic:

I think she's grooming you back (after you've groomed her with the brush).

My bunny, Sebastian, does this, too. He licks us affectionately when we're having cuddles, but other times, it's like he decides that we need more serious attention and starts licking a little more forcefully, focusing on certain areas for light nibbling/pulling (pant seams, pills on sweaters, the occasional mole on our skin - ouch!). My husband has ended up with a couple of holes in his shirts from Sebastian "grooming" him.

If you watch a bunny groom another bunny, they'll do the same thing when they get serious about it. Sort of getting their face right in there and pulling a bit if they need to (gently, not hurting, just to get out any difficult clumps or whatever).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back