NIC Trouble

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butterfinger

Reaction score
Kay, so I just attempted making a top for Butter's pen out of NIC panels, but this was too flimsy to even pick up, and was completely destroyed before it even got there.
So I tried making him another, small, crate-ish thing to put inside the pen so that he could be put in there safely and not be bothered...
I got about four panels, then stopped because everything would slip and smash my fingers, come apart, or not fit together correctly at all. :banghead

My fingers are sore, and I can barely even move my thumbs because of the puffiness and I'm just so fed up with these things I don't even want to look at another NIC panel right now. :cry4:

Is there some secret way of dealing with these that I didn't know about? Everyone else seems to be able to make all these magnificent palaces in no time at all and are so happy with them..... :cry2

.....And Butter just un-litter-trained himself.... *Sigh*

Ok, you are trying to do the top, right? The roof? The best way is to do one side at a time, starting at the corners. Use cable ties to help secure it as you go, you will most likely need someone to help hold it in place as you go. You can also takehow ever many it will take for the length of one row and cable tie those together first, then go over to the cage and snap the corner one in first and so on and so forth, does that make sense?:?

I know what you mean about it being flimsy and falling apart, when we were putting together the one for the fosters I had this past weekend and after the long drive and working all day, I was getting a bit frustrated. Luckily my son and husband came to the rescue;). Just take your time with it and snap one in at a time. Good Luck!

Are you using the plastic connectors? I hate the plastic connectors with a passion.

I use cable ties (zap straps or zip ties) and don't bother with the connectors. I find my hands aren't strong enough to snap the grids into the connectors completely. If I do need something temporary, I'll get my room mate to snap the grids together (he's got nice big, strong hands).

The strongest method of building is both connectors and cable ties. But I use other methods of strengthening my structures. Wooden doweling works well, as do L-brackets for holding up shelving.

Some of the best people to talk to are the employees at the hardware store that have been working their for a long time or do a lot of handy work in their spare time. I brought in some hand drawn sketches and measurements to my local hardware store, and had a very knowledgeable staff member help me find all the materials I needed.

If you use the connectors with cable ties, you could gently place the grids in the connectors, then by tightening the cable ties you could pull the grids all the way into the connectors. You'd have to have all the grids set up, and all the ties connected before slowly tightening all the ties.

--Dawn

Ok

I found it really annoying at first too, but don't despair. Though annoying at times, the connectors really strengthen it and give you the spacing so all fits properly. You should have a hammer with you though because it really really helps. Don't snap the grids with your hands, even if you do have the strength it will be too painful by the time you finish the cage. Lol.

You need to take things slowly and patiently. It really helps if you can get someone to hold the grids while you hammer it into the connector. As soon as that it done, meaning you have all the grids into the one connector you are at, use a cable tie to tie the grids together.

The problem is that if you do not put your cable ties in, when you will move on to the next level of grids, you will try to connect it but the other will pop out. Don't make the cable tie too tight, the grids should have the same space between them from top to bottom.

Not using the connectors will most likely cause your cage to look a bit sloppy, though it may be sturdy nonetheless.

I wasn't satisfied with mine the first time around. I was too excited and too anxious to get it done. Lol. But seriously, once you get the hang of it, it goes really well. The hardest is when you end up with 2x2 grids and you need to plug in a connector right smack in the middle of that and end up putting 4 grids into the connector. You will truly love those cable ties at that point.

I hope it all works out for you. I looooooooove building these things so I wish I could go give you a hand :p

lol after building my cages, which are simple and smaller then most, i hated NICs and the freaking connectors, i thought there was a conspiracy against my fingers they hurst soooooooooo bad, and for days they hurt. I found that my cage was the sturdiest using the connectors and the zip ties. And the roof was the hardest thing to get together none of the grids fit right, and would fall out , so after i got them in there i zip tied them like my life depended on it,lol, they werent going anywhere.

now i used a pair of gardening shears to undo the connectors from the grid if i needed to change it around, because once they are connected i would kill my fingers trying to get them out. i would put the shears (i guess anything flat and hard would work) in between the grids and either turn the shears, or rock it up and down till they popped out.

It is hard and painfull but once you are done you are so proud of yourself, and sore, but it is worth it,lol.

in a little under a year (yes i'm already thinking about it) i'm moving,if i take out the levels and the roof part, won't my cage just fold up easily? i'm really hoping it will so i don't have to take off ALL those zip ties!

Yep, you should be able to fold alot of it up, you'll probablyhave to remove a few ties here and there. Like if yours is say 3 panels long in some areas, that can all stay together.

Latest posts

Back