NIC cages

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmy-webby

Reaction score
Hello all, :wave:

I'm thinking of maybe building Emmy a new cage this year. I don't wantto buy another one from a pet store, because I've heard on the forumthat buildnig NIC cages saves expenses. Saving expenses is what we needthis month I'm afraid. Since school is starting..it means new suppliesand clothing, plus I have other three siblings so its quite expensive.

Anyways, I would like to ask a few questions regarding the NIC cages:

1) Where did you buy the wiring (NIC cubes)of thecages from?

2) When you create your levels, do you have to cover it with some kind of carpet?

3) What bolts or item(s) do you use to hold the cage together?

4) How far apart are the cubes suppose to be?

5) How much do NIC cubes cost?

I think those are all the questions that I have for now. Please, if youwant, give me any ideas. This is my first attempt of trying to build aNIC cage so all information would be great appreciated. Any pictures,ideas are all welcome.

Thanks,
~ Katy

Try this link:

http://www.cavycages.com

On the left of the main page, there is a linkcalled "FindMaterials" that is very helpful. I've gotten grids fromTarget and Costco at reasonable prices.

I used zip ties and the connectors (they come with the grids) on myfirst one, but just zip ties on the second one and I like it muchbetter.

Laura

Usually the cubes run at 14.99 at Target. Some weeks they are on sale for 12.99

I believe it is 15 squares per box.... too lazy to get up right now

I use cable ties as well,find it more secure. For the levelsit depends on the type of bun you have. For Guin who doesnttry to eat carpet I use carpet remenants, for Gir I use cardboardclamped down with binder clips

You can also use plexiglass but that I find is expensive, and I knowsome members use a plasticy substance people make signs outof.

Best thing about these cages, they are fully adjustable depending on what you need where and when =)

I'll check the cubes around Target. We live noteven 5 minutes away from Target when we drive by car. I believe thecubes are fount in the Home Improvement section of Target?

Emmy is a Mini-Rex. Such a naughty bun ;). For the levels, I'm notcertain I want to put Carpet, for the fact that she always digs on ourown carpet and picks at it. Emmy, although isn't litterbox trained I'mafraid. And I'm worried that she may take the carpet on the floors as atoilet area and pee all over the place. It'll leave an odor in whichboth my parents won't be happy about.

Emmy-webby wrote
1) Where did you buy the wiring (NIC cubes)of thecages from?
Bed Bath And Beyond

2) When you create your levels, do you have to cover it with some kind of carpet?
I haven't covered them yet, but I plan to use vinyl

3) What bolts or item(s) do you use to hold the cage together?
The included connectors and zip ties (from Home Depot)

I'm sorry, could you please clarify?

5) How much do NIC cubes cost?
$15-$20 for a pack? (not quite sure)

Here is a pic:

I love your cage Bunny dude! Very very nice.

I mean how many inches far apart are the grid lines suppose to be. ( The sqare grids). Does that make any sense? Hope so.

Thanks for your answers Bunnydude.

P.S. How long did it take you to build your buns home?

~ Katy

Here is the example for question 4.

I hope this little picture will help.

Hey, Emmy, I just came back from Target and theyare on sale for about $13 dollars this week. They're with therest of the storage/shelving stuff.

I bought apack of 88 pieces forsomething like $23 on Ebay....but the shipping was another$20. Still yet - it has been wonderful having that manypieces for emergency cages or making a rabbit run or putting up afolding gate, etc.

Peg

Emmy-webby wrote:

I think I understand. Each cube is 14" by 14". Each mini grid is about 1.5" by 1.5" (If I misunderstood you, please let me know)

And it probably took me about 3 - 3 1/2 hours to build

bunnydude wrote:
Emmy-webby wrote:

I think I understand. Each cube is 14" by 14". Each mini grid is about 1.5" by 1.5" (If I misunderstood you, please let me know)

And it probably took me about 3 - 3 1/2 hours to build

3-3 1/2 hours. Not bad. ;)You understood me correctly. Thank you!

~ Katy

naturestee wrote:
Hey, Emmy, I just came back from Target and they are on salefor about $13 dollars this week. They're with the rest of thestorage/shelving stuff.

Wow. $13. Very good price.

See spot save. I guess their logo is right. xD

Latest posts

Back