NIC Cages Only-Now Closed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Eve,

Yes they do play with thier stuffedtoys!:DEspecially Nuggles, she is verry protective of herteddy bears and stuffed bunnies. Yes we are hoping to bond the 3 ofthem as soon as Nibbles has her surgery. We are still house hunting fora new home so we are hoping the move will do the trick!!

Shye

I never posted any pics of the Bunny Condo. Since it was Sunday and I was cleaning it, I snaped some pics.

It's a little messy, please remember I was cleaning it

;)
It is a classic 2Wx3Lx3H NIC (Rubbermaid brand) condo constructed with the connectors and strenghtened with zip ties.

I will call the end with the door FRONT.

The end with the steps BACK.

The 2 long sides will be LEFT and Right Sides

Picture181.jpg

View from the end

A pegboard door and swing up panel lets the bun out and gives me fullaccess to litters and allows me to get in and clean. Coroplast surounds the bottom walls to allow bun-spray cleaning.

Floor

Is 2x2 and 2 grids high giving the bun lots of jump room. The bottom is Coroplast for easy cleaning. As Willow (my late bun) and then Smokey got better with the litter I added a piece of plywood to give them abit or variety in surface. Newspaper was placed over top for digging.When Smokey came home from his neuter I put down a blanket for his comfort. He likes it so much I left it.

Picture182.jpg

Door

This shows the swing up panel. The panel swings down the the door is closed and held secure with rubber straps.
I plan to make a wood frame / wire mesh door that will eliminate the swing up panel and peg board door that was only a temp. install.....2 years ago. ;)

Picture186.jpg

Steps

This is where I did things a little different. When I first got both buns there were so small that I thought there is no way they will be able to jump 14" from one shelf to another. I tried ramps with Willow but she never took to them.

-To the left over the purple litter box is a full height shelf - 14" off the ground attached to the back and left side wall and to a centre panel to the right using the connectors and zip tied.

-To the right and below is a shelf zip-tied to the centre panel, backwall and right side wall. This makes the first step up only 9"

-The bun then turns left and steps up 5" through a 7" hole

-The bun turns right and the next step is the same.

-The third step, or second up on the right is fastened with zip ties to the back and right side walls and also ziped to a panel in the centre that has all but one row of squares removed. The panel was cut, filedsmooth and covered with split-loom wire cover.

-The bun turns left then steps 7" to the top floor which is an open 2x2x1 space.

-There is one more panel on the top floor running parallel to the backand front walls, one grid from the back wall and to the right. Thishelps support the roof and also requires the bun to go right to theback left then start climbing down. This way the bun can't fall off thetop floor in a "freak-out moment".

I like this construction because:

-It makes the steps smaller (although Smokey will hit the first left step, boot right then left and be on the top floor in a second).

-It provides a very rigid backbone allowing for a large open top and ground floor and supports the large cleanout door.

-It makes 2 out of the way nooks for the litters on the ground floor.

-It makes a dark little hidey hole on the top floor away from the window.

Picture185.jpg

Picture183.jpg

Roof

Two panels hinged to the sides open clam shell to access the top floor.

The hinges are zip ties and it is held closed with a lock hasp. Tension holds it tightly closed.

1"x1/4" strips zipped to the roof and front wall keep it all rigid.

One panel seen at the right rear is removeable to access the far corner

The steps are cardboard or Coroplast covered with fleece.

The purple blanket is just to make sure there is no window draft in the winter.

Edit: 6-26-07 Smokey went free range a couple of weeks ago - so it looks like I won't have to remake that door;)

Multi coloured NIC cubes was all I could findhere. I really wanted white or black because I thought all the colourswould look tacky, but it turned out ok. :)Doesyourgf's bunnyhave a NIC cage too?

Thought I might post a video of the girls cage. Bunny style! ;)

Poppy's cageis pretty simple. It's mostly cloth on thefloorto help with her hocks. In the back left corner there'sa cardboard box filled with newspaper and hay to help with her feet tooand something she can dig at. She has her stuffed carrot, stuffedkitty, her hidey box, a plush towel that she can sit on to help herfeet as well, and her litter box. I haven't swept or shaken out hertowels today, so it's kind of messy. I'm adding more toys tonight too.Bunny toy crafts tonight :D.

Pebbles' cage is pretty simple as well. The shelf is made of her oldcage with coroplast and towel, and she LOVES jumping on it and hidingunder it. In the 'cave' as I like to call it, usually there's lots ofhay, her food dish, toys, and mats to chew on. But I had to go back tobagged hay because the hay quality from the last two bales hasn't beengood. Again, it's a bit of a mess. I'm putting in more toys and thingsshe can play with tonight, so it's looking a bit bare.

Both cages, I feel suit the rabbit perfectly. Hopefully after I getthem bonded the cage will turn into a 4 x 8 or possibly a 4 x 9.

Well I thought I would put pics how the end product turned out.

Connor's cage is between the wall and my bed. In front of it is Ringo'spen. Have to block veiw cause he hates Ringo. That is also thedoor. 3long 2wide 2up

100_6072.jpg

100_6067.jpg

100_6068.jpg

Dallas and Teresa's Cage is in front of my queensize bed. Warning these two are pigs. There cage has to becleaned EVERY day.

My dream is for Teresa, Dallas, Elvis and Connor to bond. If that happens we will combine the two cages.

100_6074-1.jpg

Above

100_6075-1.jpg

Left Side

100_6076-1.jpg

Right Side

100_6077-1.jpg

Snoopy has a very nice cage. I better not let Daisy Mae see it or she will be jealous.

Susan and the Gang:bunnydance::apollo::bunnybutt::jumpingbunny:

hunnybunny63-The top of the cage ishinged, there is a 1 panel door above and to the right of the mainfloor 2 panel door. So I can reach any shelf I need toclean!:D

Runestonez wrote:
hunnybunny63-The top of the cage is hinged, there isa 1 panel door above and to the right of the main floor 2 paneldoor. So I can reach any shelf I need to clean!:D

ok itslooks like a good set up and as i want to build one inthe furture im just trying to find ou the easiest ways to build, cleanand maintane a cage!

Well we made a small cage for Elvis. Atleasttill he is bonded. If bonding doesnt happen we will expand it. Oh andyes it is very small but bigger than his current cage.

Now just to add zipties and what not. Oh and yes this was spurr of the moment.

100_6230.jpg

100_6231.jpg

:bunnydance:well i am jealous of your cages they are allAWESOME!!!!!!!! i made sure that Oliver wasnt looking while i wasviewing pics becuase he would have been jealous of your babies homes,lol
i was going to makesomething with the exercise pen that i have for him but i think i mighttry the NIC cube, so i want to thank everyone for making go outshopping now, lol i am on my way out shopping and i am going to pic upthe stuff i need to make Oliver a deluxe home!!!!! i am surehe will thank you all, lol

i have a question aboutthe homes, is it better to make it high or better for it to be long andwide? i see some of them that are 3stories?

100_6502.jpg

100_6503.jpg

This is for training.

Back