NIC cage advice?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosmosMomma

Reaction score
This week I'm going to target and buying two of these cube organizers: http://www.target.com/p/closetmaid-wire-6-cube-organizer-silver/-/A-13680755

I'm thinking of leaving it flat, 2 squares high, with a blanket underneath and possibly a ceiling, if I have enough cubes, but I'm not sure how big to make it. Any advice? My mom also suggested maybe building it tall with different levels, but I'm not sure which way I want to build it D:

I would NOT get those. Those are the ones with the big holes that rabbits can get through. In that package there are only 8 usable squares. I would go somewhere else and get them. You can clearly tell from the pictures which ones have the big holes and which ones have the small holes.

As for the size that you make it it really just depens. Some rabbits are jumpers. Some just want to run. If I were you and I had the space and materials I would make the cage 4x2x2 (LxWxH). This will give your rabbit room to do a little bit of running but will also give you space to put a shelf. I would make it so that the shelf is no more than 1/2 the size of the cage. This will allow the rabbit to stand up and stretch. I have found that my rabbit Beauty does not stand up and stretch when she is in her cage much. The shelf in her cage takes up more than 1/2 or her cage.

Good luck with it. They are fun to build. I have built 2. Each took me less than 1.5hrs to build.

Ooh those are cheaper than Walmart. And I do have a sears around :D Thank you bunches! I was trying to save my mother some money (I don't have a job right now so she's paying for all of this) so this helps!

if you can't find 'em at sears and end up going through walmart to get them, the multicolored are 50c a box cheaper and black is a whopping $2.50 a box cheaper than the white ones you linked to :D

someone mentioned a couple weeks ago that lowe's had them for $15.99 a box, so that's worth looking into if sears doesn't pan out :)

Yeah I checked Lowes and they don't have them on the website. My mom gets paid thursday so I can go out that morning and get two sets, then have my dad go to harbor freight and buy a whole container of zipties. :) thanks everybody. His cage now is just twice his length and not very much room for him to binky/500 so hopefully the new pen will be great :D

If you end up getting a pack that only has 4 cubes in it, you will need to get 3 boxes instead of 2. (4x3=12, 6x2=12). You can get Zip ties at sears while you are getting the cubes.

ldoerr wrote:
If you end up getting a pack that only has 4 cubes in it, you will need to get 3 boxes instead of 2. (4x3=12, 6x2=12). You can get Zip ties at sears while you are getting the cubes.
A 4 cube set should be about 16 grids (some may have 17). A 6 cube set should have around 23. So 3 4 cube sets would have 48 grids while 2 6 cube sets would have 46. It is close to the same, but a bit different. You need to look at the cost per grid to figure out which is a better deal.

For zip ties, you should get around 200, but more can be good too. You do need good ones, I get the 7.5" ones.

CosmosMomma wrote:
This week I'm going to target and buying two of these cube organizers: http://www.target.com/p/closetmaid-wire-6-cube-organizer-silver/-/A-13680755

I'm thinking of leaving it flat, 2 squares high, with a blanket underneath and possibly a ceiling, if I have enough cubes, but I'm not sure how big to make it. Any advice? My mom also suggested maybe building it tall with different levels, but I'm not sure which way I want to build it D:
Did you see other NIC cages on this forum? You'll have to scroll a bit past comments to get to more photos of how people used their NIC cubes.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=70176&forum_id=93&page=2

Oh thank you :) That comes in handy. I admit I'm not very good about looking past the first page in the forums so I miss all the good stuff :) I really like a lot of those designs so maybe i'll mix it up a bit and try different ones until Cosmo decides which he likes best.

I'm buying two sets of 6 cubes, because they're $17.99, and The 4 cube sets are $23 at walmart and target. I'm not gonna use coroplast just yet, because It's gonna be hell getting the big sheet I need home on the bus lol, so instead I'm using cardboard, fleece, and puppy pads. :)

DSCF0006.jpg

I've decided to go with this design (pic not mine, found it on google), since Cosmo is a binky bunny, and it still gives him little spaces to climb high. :)

I like that - roomy, easy to get in there and clean and it has some nice levels. they've got the same tunnel my bunnies do, hehe... mine's purple, though, which I like better.

I will definitely do so :)

I underestimated the size of each panel. I added up the dimensions or the finished cage and it's huge lol. I wanted to put it near my bed but i'm gonna have to put it in the corner by my window. Should I worry about drafts come winter? This is a pretty old house and the windows aren't sealed very well.

they handle cold pretty well... if you're worried about a slight draft, though, you could always line the windowsill with a towel to block off the air flow.

Back