New user and rabbit owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Jordan and I have only been a dad to my two netherland dwarf rabbits since Christmas; and they are my first rabbits ever. At first I really wanted ferrets but my family was really against having them in the house since they are so smelly, so to stop me my mom decided to "surprise" me with the smallest full grown rabbit I had ever seen. At first I was a little taken back, as a 24 year old man I thought rabbits were kind of lame and girly but I soon fell in love and even adopted my first bunny a friend a few weeks later (though they are not friends yet lol). I have heard great things about this site so I decided to join to get any needed advice as a first time rabbit owner and of course see everyone's cute bunnies. Here are some pics of my two girls:

Skye:
YfW7VaQ.jpg

b0oLsGQ.jpg

bwLFRyG.jpg

Luna:
t4w2jNB.jpg

qwLtmXu.jpg

AFdgxvS.jpg

welcome to the site ....

if they are staying inside, just clean the pen more often to keep the smell down ( if any )

besides that, welcome once again =0)

Welcome to the forum Jordan! It's hard not to fall for their charm isn't it? What are their names?

I had two bonded rabbits, Toki and Hopscotch, but Toki recently passed away at 14. It's taking all of my willpower to not go crazy and bring home ALL THE BUNNIES. Instead I'm trying to bond more with Scotch, since she's always been far less interested in people than Toki.

tokiscotch1.jpg

Welcome to the forum Jordan! It's hard not to fall for their charm isn't it? What are their names?

I had two bonded rabbits, Toki and Hopscotch, but Toki recently passed away at 14. It's taking all of my willpower to not go crazy and bring home ALL THE BUNNIES. Instead I'm trying to bond more with Scotch, since she's always been far less interested in people than Toki.

Nice to meet you and thanks for the warm welcomes from everyone! My white bunny is named Skye, after a character in the TV show Marvel's Agents of Shield, I'm a huge superhero nerd and knew I wanted a cute but not super obvious superhero themed name for her. The black bun is named Luna, though I usually call her Lulu, my mom is a nanny for a three year old girl and I told her she could name the bunny for me, I'm glad she picked a pretty reasonable name and not something like Spaghetti Batman.
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, and my condolences go out to both you and Scotch. I'm new to the world of rabbits but I know what it is like to lose a beloved pet and friend, and it sounds like Toki lived a very long and fulfilling life. I hope your healing process is going well. Thanks again! :happybunny:

I haven't watched Agents of Shield yet, but I probably should since it's by Joss Whedon right? I've probably seen everything else he's done. I tried introducing Buffy the Vampire Slayer to one of my housemates last night, but it seems to be something you have to grow up with to fully appreciate.

I'm a pretty big superhero fan too and was thinking of naming my future gerbil kennel "Vee's School for Gifted Gerbils" so I could name all the babies after awesome characters.

I wonder where she got the name Luna from? All I can think of is Sailor Moon, but that's from too long ago for small children of this generation. ;) I think it's very pretty.

Thank you for your condolences. I'm doing pretty well since I have lots of house renovations and Scotch to distract me. I miss Toki's cuddles and licks the most, since Scotch isn't a very person-affectionate rabbit. She's hopefully warming up to me slowly though.

Agents of shield is amazing! I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan as well and Buffy is a favorite of mine. Whedon created the series and randomly writes episodes for the show but he doesn't have as much to do with it as his old series sadly. I chuckled at Vee's school for gifted gerbils, you should definitely go with that, it is amazing! I'm glad Scotch is warming up to you.
My bunny Skye I think has a similar personality, when I take her out of the cage she likes to sit next to me and has no fear of people but if I pet or touch he she seems almost offended. She'll only let me pet her if I'm holding food in my other hand.

Whedon created the series and randomly writes episodes for the show but he doesn't have as much to do with it as his old series sadly.
That is too bad. I found his last series Dollhouse was really hard to get through at the beginning, but it did get a lot better as it progressed. I've heard the same kind of thing about Agents of Shield.

I chuckled at Vee's school for gifted gerbils, you should definitely go with that, it is amazing!
It is rather amazing, but my other two ideas—"The League of Extraordinary Gerbils" and "Gerbassic Park"—are pretty amazing too, so it's been impossible for me to choose.

My bunny Skye I think has a similar personality, when I take her out of the cage she likes to sit next to me and has no fear of people but if I pet or touch he she seems almost offended. She'll only let me pet her if I'm holding food in my other hand.
Scotch isn't quite that bad as she does still seem to enjoy being petted, she'll just never go up to you looking for affection and will not sit in your lap. Toki LOVED attention from everyone and would hop around your feet nipping to be picked up if you ignored him. You could cuddle that bunny for hours and he would be licking you in response the whole time. I know Scotch will never be at that level, but I hope to feel more than just tolerated by her one day, haha.

Latest posts

Back