New-Update on Jack (RIP sweet Jack)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to both of you....you can see how happy he still is considering his situation..he is still full of life :)

I just got back from the vet not long ago and i got the advocate for Jack...i haven't treated him yet as i am worried about it cause i have never treated my bunnies this way before...but i will have to do it though..i know that...then i know once i do it i won't be ble to sleep tonight cause i'll be worrying bout him..silly..i know :p

Happy to hear he's doing well, Cheryl. :hearts He's got a peach towel just like disabled Karla. them towel babies!

"Jack is always in my mind and i'm always watching him and everything...it's sad really cause he's still so bright and alert and gets excited over his food..it's just his body."

:inlove:

Those silly bodies!:p

Hi Julie,

I'm sure Jack loves his differen't coloured blankets and towels ;),but he's just determined to not lay on his towel while outside,he just wants the grass..i love making him happy though..and when we go outside i always see that excitment in his big gorgeous eyes..it warms my heart

I've only had Revolution or Advantage experience, and that was applied to the shoulder area for two rescued boys with *ear* mites. Two treatments, 30 days apart. Liquid that came out in a twist-off cap tube, and applied to the skin. Skin mites... does that require a different application area?? I imagine angieluv or tonyshuman in the Infirmary will be able to specify treatment for the mites. And there's the Library section too! Do you have to be concerned about Jack eating fleas in Australia, on the grass? Do you remember when Karla got the huge tapeworm from consuming a flea? Cheryl, I'll PM you a page link of my hubby holding our second disabled girl yesterday.:) You might like to see that.

Our disabled kids are very lucky to have us. I just wanna smoocherize Jack's handsome nose and cheeks in those close-up pics you posted. :bunnyheart

I love the video too! He's so cute with his wiggley cheeks and the long strands of grass gettin' schnibbled up. You made my day with his handsome-ness ~ and callin' his name.

:sunshine:

will keep checking for updates, you're doing a great job Mom.

I had never heard of Advocate so looked it up ; it contains both Imidacloprid and moxidectin

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Anti_parasitics/safe_antiparasitic.htm

Imidacloprid is the chemical used in Advantage and is safe for rabbits. Moxidectin is listed in medi-rabbit and seems to be a treatment for rabbit mange and ear mites

If Jack has other issues I personally would want to stick with the familar treatments for parsaites (Revolution and Advantage. )

This opinion is based soley on my lackof experience with Advocate.

Iwill send an e-mail to Randy asking him about the safety of using Advocate but don't expect a response tonight and in the meantime I would not use this product until we are absolutely sure of its safety. ...better safe than sorry .

Maureen

I have ordered Revolution on-line without a prescription

Thankyou so much for all this info...i'm lucky as i have not applied it to him yet...maybe something was holding me back..i have just been a little worried about it...oh my goodness i don't know what to do now..but i will wait until i get more info,because i need to know for sure for Jack's safety..i don't want to do anything that is going to harm him..but he does really need to be treated as soon as possible.

The advocate that i was given is for kitten's up to 4kg and i'm supposed to give Jack 0.176ml according to his weight...

Julie thanks heaps for the lovely comments and i would love to see that picture :)

Also i have never really had any problems with fleas or anything before...i have only treated my bunnies for mites a long time ago but that was with ivermectrin(sp).

Thanks again you guys

TreasuredFriend wrote:
Our disabled kids are very lucky to have us.
Yep for sure...never in my life i ever imagined me going through this with one of my beloved babies...as hard as it is to see him like this...i will do all i can for him for as long as he is still bright and happy :)

My first impression is that Advocate contains more thanJack would need to take care of the mites ( it kills heartworm and other worms in dogs)

I don't know if it is unsafe but it seems to me like the least amount of unnecessary chemicals the better.

let's hope Randy replies. ;)

Hi :)

Randy has never used Advocate before and also is not familar with it but says it may be safebut personally would prefer Revolution. The literature documents more adverse incidents in cats thanwith Revolution and he would be somewhat concerned if the rabbit ingested it. He said that he would check with his vets today to get their imput on it
In the meantimeI will give you the website thatI use to order Revolution without a prescription. that, of course would mean a wait

Thanks Maureen for your help..i appreciate it very much.

The girl behind the desk looked through her information booklet on differen't brands of treatments and that's when she came across advocate which said it was ok for mange and mites as well.

Just read that Advocate is the same thing as Advantage Multi. I know regular Advantage is really safe but still unsure about Advantage multi.

Does your vet have just plain Advantage for kittens ?

Well Randy just got back to me and his vets are not familar with Advocate. He feels that it has probably not been tested on rabbits. Randy gave more info but the gist of his e-mail suggested that it would be safer toNOTuse Advocate but to useRevolution (and his vets agree with this)

I believe the Petshed ( link I sent) is in Austalia..possibly you could order Revolution for puppies and kittens and have it sent to you express.

Once againI would not use Advocate on Jack

Possibly there is more info available on this antiparisitic but with a rabbit you can never be to too careful.
I have posted this question on Etherbun also but have gotten no responses yet ..probably because it is the weekend.

Thanks heaps Maureen...i definitely will not treat him with it..i will go back to the vet,maybe i will go see Dr Lee instead...but it's sunday here and the vets are closed and tomorrow is a public holiday so i will wait until tuesday then...i would rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks again

Hey Rebecca,

Jack is doing great..he really is an awesome little bunny..he still has such a huge appetite..and still has such a zest for life.....but i do get that feeling sometimesthat he wishes he could just get up and hop around..go outside and have a run around..

I did take him out the back the other evening..he always enjoys the couple of hours that we spend out there.

I do move him around the house as well..so he's not just in one spot...i know he enjoys that and it's good for him...i spend an incredible amount of time with Jack..that sometimes i wish i didn't have to go to work lol

And wow does he adore Sunshine...She's his favourite...especially when she's sitting with him and he grooms her..oh my it melts my heart everytime...and you should see when Sunny is grooming him...he will put his head up as high as he can...she cleans his eyes and everything...it's so sweet.

I'll have to get and take some new pictures of him though..don't have no new one's at the moment to post.

But yeah Jack has taught me so much

Ohh and tea time..you should see him..he gets all excited..it just stands out so very much.

It's also been great cause Jack has had absolutely no bad days....compared to in the beginning..but i guess that was just understandable...his body wasgetting used to a differen't kind of life.

But things are really good Rebecca :)

Yeah he has always adored Sunshine though....

another thing i forgot to mention is about the mite treatment..i went for the ivermectin instead..i just felt more comfortable with it.

Back