New to us rabbit and very cold air

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leah

Reaction score
So recently a rabbit adopted us. He/she found it's way to our house and no one claimed it, so we are now proud new bunny owners. The question that I have is how to keep him warm when the wind chill temps are going to be below 0 degrees F in a couple of days. He stays in an outdoor wooden hutch that is somewhat protected from the wind. A few days ago, when the overnight temps got down into the 20's, I threw a towel over the front of the cage to help a little. We also make sure he has fresh water, rabbit pellets, and timothy hay multiple times a day. Is there anything else I should be doing?

The picture below shows his hutch, but we don't use the water bottle now (just a crock). There is also a holder hanging for his hay (not pictured).
2019-02-09 13.53.04.jpg

That hutch, I'm afraid, offers little protection from below freezing temps. It is also woefully small (though I understand it is a common plan of a 'typical' hutch). What do you have inside the closed area?

I'll attach a video from a PhD rabbit expert that may help out. I'd also encourage you to consider indoor housing. Most of us on here house indoors. This site (click on green) explains how easy it can be to house a rabbit indoors (without odor!!).

I agree with possibly keeping it inside my bunny gets huddled and likes snuggle because she's cold when its 18 degrees celcius so indoors is her best option but I know it may not be possible especially since you didn't plan getting him/her. If she's not allowed inside I recommend putting heat pack or hot water bottle in the inside part of the hutch

During winter I often fill up the living area/ hiding place with a lot of straws and this will keep my rabbits happy.

My doe often just sleeps out in the snow than in her hutch. I often find her covered in snow while sleeping and have to carry her into the hutch.

When it gets colder, when it go down to minus 20 degree celsius. I use heating pads and snuggle it safe among the straws and isolate the living area.

You can also isolate the hutch where you want it to be warmer. Styrofoam works great as isolating material for the rabbits but you need to protect it from the rabbit so they don’t chew it.

But you will have to have a heating pad in the isolated area or else it might work as a freezer instead and become horrible cold. But done well this will really keep the living area cozy and warm, compared with the rest of the hutch. Remember my hutch before that was isolated kept between 10-17 degrees celsius with the heating pad.

The water should be lukewarm which will help the water to not freeze and also warm up the bunny. During the winter my outdoor rabbits will only drink lukewarm water and when it get too cold they won’t touch the water. So you will have to change often around 3-5 times a day the drinking water.

That’s how I keep my rabbits outdoor happy during the winter.

Only my doe it’s the weird one always sleeping out in the snow and rain, making me worry about her.

Thanks for the info! I placed a blanket and tarp over the hutch last night but left the back open for fresh air. I ordered one of those snuggle safe things from amazon. in the enclosed side, I usually put a couple of paper bags on the floor then a layer of paper bedding. He tends to push the paper bedding around. How should I incorporate the snuggle safe?

Back