New neighbors moved in, and they sell meat rabbits. Yay!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although this seems horrible, I think we need toconcentrate on the how the animals are currently being kept, as opposedto what the end "use" for the animals are because although the peopleon this website would never let rabbit touch their lips, some people doand even if the people next door to you did not supply rabbits,somebody else will- we can't change that. But what we can change is howthe animals are kept while they are alive. Why not try to discuss thiswith your neigherbor rationally and offer solutions or offer to helprelocate the rabbits on the ground or build new cages? Don't go overthere ranting about how you want to free the rabbits because they'lljust ignore you.

I also wouldn't suggest you steal the rabbits. Although we t hinkrabbits should be cuddled and snuggled, they use rabbits as theirincome and live off that. It is illegeal to steal- even if you thinkit's for a good cause. But the reality is- if you steal them, then theywill purchuse more from a supplier, which would just give the suppliermore income and more of a reason to breed in order to sell... it's abig cycle.

Another thing to remember is that rabbits to us are like cowsto some people. A friend of mine had a family farm with tons of moosrunning all over the place! At slaughtering time, everybody ended up istears- they still thought of those cows as 'pets' but other people justsee them as food because they don't have an emotional attachment, thesame as some people think of rabbits. My parents have eaten rabbitbefore but they are the same people who now sit on my floor and coo atCadbury. Before, there was no attachment. Today, my father turns into apile of jelly at the pure thought of Cadbury and her whiskers! He wouldnever again let that happen.

I'm not saying I would ever be able to raise and slaughter anything fora living or that I think highly of the people who do. But some peoplehave choosen that as their jobs and we can only change HOW they dotheir job by treating the animals with 110% kindness while they arealive, not WHAT their job is of providing food to people who choose toeat it. They are only providing a 'service'. Try talking to yourneighbor- they might be very willing to speak with you, especially ifyou are willing to help them treat their rabbits right!

Most people that raise animals for meat takevery good care of them, at least here in Ontario. I don't understandhow someone could raise healthy animals for food if they don't takegood care of them. Every animal has the right to humane treatment andquaility care. I was raised on and around farmers all my life andunderstand the difference between a pet and food.Only petshave names and you don't eat your pet. my 5 year old understandsthat. If these rabbits are not being looked after properlythen call the SPCA and report these people. I feel bad for theserabbits with no shelter, it's not right.

I totally agree with fatrabbit. Justbecause an animal is going to be used for meat doesn't mean that theway it lives the little life it has doesn't matter. No living beingdeserves to be treated in that condition. I mean they have noshelter from the wind, rain or heat. It's not right.

Back