New member, cleaning bottom help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good evening all

I am a new member however I have looked on this site so many times for advice and general knowledge.... so thank you!

I have a adorable lion haired lop, she is a indoor free roaming bunny that has access to the garden 3 times a day to enjoy the grass and do her zommies. Beatrix is 7 month old and the apple of mine and my husbands eye (we dont have any children unfortunately beatrix is our furbaby as some would say).

Beatrix has been spade. However whilst Beatrix was in recovery, I spoke to the vet about flystrike. Beatrix has her spray once a week however I having some trouble with her bottom.

Beatrix has long, which I have trimmed however her bottom hair is stained yellow.
I have washed her bottom, brush it every day to prevent any type of matting, check it for type of flies, i fill her litter box with pellets,lots of hay and puppy training pads to do a further soaking up and change this twice and sometimes 3 times a day. However I am unable to get the yellow staining off. Is this normal? Is there any recommendations of what else I can do as I want to make sure I doing the right thing for Beatrix with as little stress as possible.

I am a worrier, I just want to make sure I am doing my best for her so I can stop panicking that she is going to get flystrike as I havent done the best job for her.

I really appreciate you taking the time in reading my 1st post.

Laura

Hi and welcome to the forum :)
Can you post some pics of her and her problems perhaps? It would make things easier to understand for us

Ofcourse apologies I should have done this previously 🙈 Attached is a photo
Thank you
Laura

Attachments

• IMG-20200527-WA0030.jpg
    IMG-20200527-WA0030.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 9
Flystrike spray, to prevent flystrike developing on her bottom. I spray her bottom with the medication to prevent flies from laying eggs

Thank you

Laura

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I'd never even heard of a such a spray.

I'd say stop the spray. That should not be necessary with an indoor rabbit. I even wonder if the spray itself is causing things to be messy there. Does it have any odor or taste? Does it affect her being able to self-groom there? My suspicion is that the spray itself may be interfering with her desire/ability to groom herself down there.

Rabbits are great at keeping themselves clean. If you are brushing her (being a lionhead) in addition, she should be able to self maintain there.

There should also be no reason to be changing the litter box so often. Once per day is overkill as it is. If you are using wood pellets and topping with hay (puppy pads unnecessary), and if the litter box is large enough (photo?), then you should be able to go several days easily between cleanings.

Flystrike is virtually unheard of in indoor rabbits, so no need to be too worried about it.

Thank you for your reply, it is very much appreciated.

The vet has prescribed this too beatrix as she hops in to the garden as many times as she likes during the day whilst we are in lockdown here. In addition to this Beatrix is due to go in to lodgings in august whilst we are visiting my parents in france, she must be medicated with flystrike before she goes in to lodgings as it is a requirement.

I did wonder if I was doing the litter box too often, but it was purely to prevent any poop getting stuck to her long fur. Again, I do worry quite a lot so this might be me worrying to much to often 🙆‍♀️ from the picture I have posted is that normal or is that bad I need to do more for beatrix do you think?

Again thank you for taking the time to reply

Thank you for your reply, it is very much appreciated.

The vet has prescribed this too beatrix as she hops in to the garden as many times as she likes during the day whilst we are in lockdown here. In addition to this Beatrix is due to go in to lodgings in august whilst we are visiting my parents in france, she must be medicated with flystrike before she goes in to lodgings as it is a requirement.

I did wonder if I was doing the litter box too often, but it was purely to prevent any poop getting stuck to her long fur. Again, I do worry quite a lot so this might be me worrying to much to often 🙆‍♀️ from the picture I have posted is that normal or is that bad I need to do more for beatrix do you think?

Again thank you for taking the time to reply
I am a first time rabbit mom. I do think some staining is normal. It sounds like you are being very proactive so you can take your rabbit to see your mom. In my opinion you could just change the litter once or twice a day. Wash her area maybe once a week if she isn't getting clean enough. My rabbit sometimes has staining too.

I am a first time rabbit mom. I do think some staining is normal. It sounds like you are being very proactive so you can take your rabbit to see your mom. In my opinion you could just change the litter once or twice a day. Wash her area maybe once a week if she isn't getting clean enough. My rabbit sometimes has staining too.

Good morning and thank you for your comment. I think I am being over cautious and I need to stop worrying. It is mainly yellow staining, I just always question if I am doing the best for beatrix.

Good morning and thank you for your comment. I think I am being over cautious and I need to stop worrying. It is mainly yellow staining, I just always question if I am doing the best for beatrix.
It is easy to worry and wonder if you are doing the right thing. You are taking excellent care of Beatrix. Have you had other pets before? I mainly had cats until 2 years ago. They both went outdoors and I worried (and checked) for fleas, ticks and worms. I had 2 cats for approximately 18 years. We had few problems, mainly with 1 cat she had a cut twice and they got fleas once from our dog who had been at my in-laws for a week. So in 18 years that is not bad. My other cat went blind and deaf. Animals will have problems. Pay attention and call a vet if needed. It is better that you are keeping your rabbit's needs a priority and keeping her clean than being lax about it.

Latest posts

Back