New lionhead not eatting hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul2641

Reaction score
Hi everyone I got a new rabbit female lionhead called sukura. But the problem is she isn't eatting any hay well not that I can tell of, any ideas on how I could start her eatting hay?

Hi, have you tried different types of hay? I have given mine Oat Hay as a treat which they love. I have also given them Orcard Grass hay which they also like.

How old is your little baby? Are you giving her Alfalfa Hay?

My Wilbur and Jackie are little Piggies when it come to eating hay, I have never seen 2 bunnies eat so much hay.

Good Luck I hope she starts to eat her hay.

Susan:)

SOOOSKA wrote:
Hi, have you tried different types of hay? I have given mine Oat Hay as a treat which they love. I have also given them Orcard Grass hay which they also like.

How old is your little baby? Are you giving her Alfalfa Hay?

My Wilbur and Jackie are little Piggies when it come to eating hay, I have never seen 2 bunnies eat so much hay.

Good Luck I hope she starts to eat her hay.

Susan:)
She is 8 weeks or less. And in Ireland there isn't a large selection on hay.

Our baby lionhead for a while didn't eat hay. I'm not sure if he didn't know what it was because none of the rabbits had hay at the breeder. Anyway, now he does. I just kept offering it to him. Since the rabbit is young just make sure she is eating alfalfa pellets and keep offering hay. Trying different kinds is a good idea too.

At eight weeks sometimes they take awhile to get accustomed to hay. Possibly her breeder didn't introduce it at a young age? I like to get mine into hay as soon as they start coming out of the box and venturing into "real" food. Sometimes they just take time to catch on.

What about grass? Does she graze if you put her outside?

DyemondRabbitry wrote:
At eight weeks sometimes they take awhile to get accustomed to hay. Possibly her breeder didn't introduce it at a young age? I like to get mine into hay as soon as they start coming out of the box and venturing into "real" food. Sometimes they just take time to catch on.

What about grass? Does she graze if you put her outside?
There isn't sutable weather at the moment to put her out it's always wet so she hasn't had grass. And I we don't get a great selection on rabbit food. The best food I can find In limerick my county is 15% fiber and I know that isn't nearly enough but I have walked to every petshop and I was very lucky to find what I am feeding now! and it's a mix. I am really stumped. But When we get a few more rabbits my mam said I can start importing bulk bags with better nuitrional values and it works out cheaper!!

How long ago did you get her? Usually I give the purchaser enough feed to last about a month for babies until they can find what I feed or get them switched to what they use.

DyemondRabbitry wrote:
How long ago did you get her? Usually I give the purchaser enough feed to last about a month for babies until they can find what I feed or get them switched to what they use.
I got her 2 days ago I didn't get any of the food with her. But luckely they were feeding her the exact same food mix as I feed mine so she has had no problems on her food mix.

Alright, well that's good to hear. I'd say just keep the hay fresh for her and she may become interested after she settles down. She's probably still not used to her surroundings and not herself just yet. Give it some time- it's not an emergency as long as she is still eatting.

DyemondRabbitry wrote:
Alright, well that's good to hear. I'd say just keep the hay fresh for her and she may become interested after she settles down. She's probably still not used to her surroundings and not herself just yet. Give it some time- it's not an emergency as long as she is still eatting.
Kk thanks for the help! Well to tell the truth she is very friendly towards me. And she won't go to anyone else.

Hey just thought I'd ask, where are you housing this female, did you buy another cage?

Oh good, I thought you would have put her in with your other male or female, but it looks like you've done alot of research since I last talked to you.

irishbunny wrote:
Oh good, I thought you would have put her in with your other male or female, but it looks like you've done alot of research since I last talked to you.

Yup I won't be really trying any bonding till she is atleast 4 months and It will prob be with a younger male of 8 weeksso she will be fully mature by the time he is ready to produce.

Back on topic could one of the reasons that she isn't eatting hay, is that it's going in her toilet area? I've moved her hay to somewhere else but she seems to use the whole hutch as a toilet.

People I put hay in her feed bowl and below and behold she has started munching on the hay I'm so releaved that all my bunnies are eatting hay woop.

Oh wait a sec, I wouldn't bond her at all unless your planning on getting her spayed. Females don't get along with babies at all and she could seriously injure or kill a baby. Rabbits that aren't fixed should never share a cage.

Back on topic, I'm glad she's eating hay, she mightn't ever have had it before if she's from a petshop so that could be it.

irishbunny wrote:
Oh wait a sec, I wouldn't bond her at all unless your planning on getting her spayed. Females don't get along with babies at all and she could seriously injure or kill a baby. Rabbits that aren't fixed should never share a cage.

Back on topic, I'm glad she's eating hay, she mightn't ever have had it before if she's from a petshop so that could be it.
I mean a 8 week old at the youngest.

No age is a good idea really, it's just not a good idea to keep them together at all, at any age, at any time, they'll fight and breed and you won't know when she's due and she'll get stressed because he'll be constantly trying to breed with her blah, blah, blah, I could go on. Bottom line is your making it way easier for yourself by just keeping them in separate cages. The rabbits themselves prefer it and will be happier in their own space. No breeder keeps rabbits together.

irishbunny wrote:
No age is a good idea really, it's just not a good idea to keep them together at all, at any age, at any time, they'll fight and breed and you won't know when she's due and she'll get stressed because he'll be constantly trying to breed with her blah, blah, blah, I could go on. Bottom line is your making it way easier for yourself by just keeping them in separate cages. The rabbits themselves prefer it and will be happier in their own space. No breeder keeps rabbits together.
Kk fine.

Latest posts

Back