Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorrgannn

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have a 3 month old Holland Lop named Maverick (first time bunny owner) and am hoping someone can provide me with some advice.

The other morning I noticed he was making sounds while sleeping in a flopped position on the floor. I immediately freaked out thinking he had a RI but after reading that Holland Lops are prone to snoring I calmed down. The videos I watched of snoring bunnies sound exactly like what he was doing and he is really only doing this while lying down.

I’ve been keeping a super close eye on him ever since and noticed he’s also sneezing and sometimes when he does it sounds almost like snot is in his nose. I’ve been checking for wet nose/discharge but there is none. He does not sneeze back to back just maybe once every couple of hours or so. Is this normal? Could it be from his drinking water getting in his nose?

I ordered a HEPA air filter for downstairs where he free roams in case it’s allergies but I am an anxious mess right now watching every single thing he does and convincing myself he’s sick.

He is eating and pooping like normal and has done zoomies with binkies everyday. I’m having a hard time finding information regarding the differences between snuffles/RI and a flat face bunny who might just get something in his nose a few times a day.

He has a vet checkup on August 12th. Should I wait until then and ask the vet about this as long as he continues to act normally? Or are these signs of something more serious that requires attention now?

Check for discharge around the eye, see if the snot is green, yellow, or white, and also look for head tilting, loss of appetite, sneezing, coughing, loud breathing, or snoring if 3 or more symptoms show up your bun might have the snuffles and if that's the case give him LA200 injections (0.1ml per lb), add VetRX (for bunnies) and Apple Cider Vinegar to his water, and also make sure you're giving him his probiotics. If he has the snuffles and it goes untreated for too long it could be fatal to your bun (It's what took my sweet 6-month- old bunny's life last week😢) Good luck!

Rabbits occasionally sneeze, so that can be normal. Snoring can be normal as well. I had a couple of little dwarf rabbits that snored the whole 9 years of their life. Never had anything to do with a respiratory infection.

So this could be normal for your rabbit, or it's also possible there is a respiratory issue developing. But it would take an experienced rabbit vet checking your rabbit and the nasal passages, to determine if there's something going on or not. Since he's not showing signs of excessive sneezing or white sticky discharge from his nose, I would think it's fine to wait until your appointment on August 12th. But if your still concerned, it's always best to consult with your knowledgeable rabbit vet.

If your current vet isn't an experienced rabbit vet and you decide you need one, here's a list of some possible options.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Latest posts

Back