New Girl in town & her names MILA

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinaLuvsBo

Reaction score
:hello, My name is Christina and I am a new rabbit owner..

Here's our story... On 2.14.13 - Valentines day, I decided it was finally time to get myself a bunny. I called a couple of places and had no luck, until the last place I called the lady told me she had a Dwarf and a Lionhead ... I decided on the dwarf. I went to the petstore called petland discounts and to my surprise the lady had mistaken the breed of bunny.. Mila is 5 months old, and she is a dutch rabbit. She is black and white and super sweet. We have had her for less than a week and she has grown so close to me. I don't know anything about rabbits, really other than what I've researched .. I do know that she needs to be fixed to live a longer / healthier life.. but I am on the fence.. I keep thinking what if she would like to have babies .. Anyways.. Mila is adorable, I've played dressup with her by putting little bows on her hair, and now I know people would say that its not nice and blah blah but she actually loves it. I just had a few questions for those who are experienced...

1.) Is it okay that I leave her out her cage freely walking around a Bunny-safe room, pretty much all day (when we are home)? Mila is in her cage at night, and Freed in the morning time or whenever someone is available to watch her ...

2.) Any tips and suggestions for a Newbie such as myself ? Tips and opinions... Please don't be cruel or judgmental, Thanks !

:dutch Mila & Me

Welcome! We have a couple black and white dutchies on RO. They are adorable! We would love to see pics of your Mila.

To answer your questions, yes it is okay tom leave them free run as long as there is no danger for them to get info. In fact, my two are free run all day and only put in their cage at night.

My tips/suggestions for you would be to get her spayed. Of course it is a personal decision but there are so many unwanted bunnies out there, breeding should only be done to better the breed. Spaying her will help her litter habits and help her health wise and all around be a better pet. And if having more than one rabbit would ever interest you, you could bond her to a neutered male. That's what I did with my girl and it has been a great experience :)

Glad you found us here!

Thank you for the great advice and responding to my post .. I am new to this Site so I am not too sure how to post photo's of Mila .. :confused2:

*Hehe Figured it out* Thank you :)

IMG_4137.jpg

IMG_6315.jpg

Christina, have just posted on your other thread and I think she´s a lovely little girl, the bow looks great on her.

I agree with Lisa that spaying your bunny will improve both her habits and give her a chance a longer, healthier life and you maybe will look, at some point, in getting her a friend, you´ll love watching how they interact.

Letting her have as much free time as possible is great and it gives you a better chance to bond with her and spend more time getting to know her an vice versa. There´s nothing like bunny cuddles and kisses.

:dutch:hearts:Thank You Lisa, I was worried a bit. People think of it as Animal abuse, which I understand but, Is it Animal abuse if my bunny loves to feel beautiful ? Hehe. Thanks !

:dutch:hearts: Thank You Chris, I've read your response in my other thread. With the Advice I have receive from Lisa and yourself, We , Me and my fiance decided to get her fixed as soon as funds find it's way back into our lives. We had a rough month and are just getting better soon she will be on a healthy track !

BTW i gave Mila some apple earlier .. She loved it, she pooped as regular so I'm thinking it did not affect her badly ? She really did enjoy that apple :)

omg!!she's so beautiful!!! congrats!!! I have 100's of dresses for my chihuahua and I keep telling my fiancee I'm gonna play dress up with the boys!!! hahahahaha!!!

Thanks for all the great comments everyone ! I appreciate the warm welcomes :)

Thank you Dustbunny- I love when I see cute cuddly animals in pretty outfits. Others usually have an issue with it because they are 'Animals' and not people. But I just love it, as long as it doesn't frustrate the buns or pups WHY NOT !

Welcome!! She is beautiful, she looks like Ceaser my boy and he is a Dutch. Yes do get her spayed or you will go down the same road as I, My Holland Lop had babies 1 month ago and did not know she was preggers. My Dutch had problems and was not supose to make babies, but after one year I now have 7 babies. You should check out my pics.
The best thing to feed your bunny is pellets from a feed store and not the walmart pellets. Timothy Hay is the best to give and that walmart sells. You can also buy Timothy Hay Cubes and that helps with the teeth. Rabbits teeth grow super fast and they need things to chew on daily. Pinecones cleaned in boiling water and let to dry makes for a good toy and good for teeth.
They say Aspen bedding is the best but it is costly. Do not feed beans, peas, corn, breads, cereals, nuts seeds, wheat, oats or grains. The vet said all above is not good to give. you can feed small amounts of apple,pears,peaches,bell peppers,carrots,bean spouts. My Holland Lop love Pansies Oh as for greens you can do small amounts of broccoli,brussels sprouts, kale,celery,romaine lettuce, swiss chard, dandelions, parsley and carrot tops. Ask your vet for more info. Hope this helps:headflick::headflick:

Last edited:
Thank you for your feed back, Yesterday I bought some timothy hay, and some new bedding I also picked up some veggies and Yougurt drops - which she hates ! I don't live near a walmart, so I usually go to a local pet store which is very affordable for me. Mila loves apples and once she has a little in her tummy she runs around and is very playful- she gets super excited and happy !

Latest posts

Back