New bunny not pooping or peeing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you say it's pretty serious, did the vet basically tell you your rabbit was not going to make it through? I find it very...interesting that the pet store would ask for the rabbit back and just give you another one like it's no big deal. I don't want to jump to any conclusions but it sounds like your rabbit was let go. I'm not sure how Ireland is, but here where I'm at, there are some pet stores whom are notorious for not providing adequate care for animals in general and you unknowingly purchase a pet and end up with a large vet bill. That happened to my friend who adopted her puppy from a "legit" pet store. A week later, her pup had to be rushed to the ER because she had Parvo. The pet store never mentioned anything. Took $1,500+ from her and she landed with an even bigger vet bill. If you're able to, see if you can reach out to a rescue or a shelter instead where there are so many rabbits who deserves a good home as well.
the pet store said they’ll look after him they have their own vet that’s what they told me but I don’t think so he’s survive he was pretty bad didn’t eat for long... I hope he get better

This whole thing doesn’t sit well with me. If I adopted a bunny, I would stick with him and do everything in my power to provide him with care. I’m not saying you did anything wrong as you are new to bunnies and probably felt very helpless. But, I would love to change the notion that bunnies and animals are products to be purchased and exchanged. They’re creatures and when we adopt them, they then become our responsibility to the fullest extent. Maybe it’s best to hold off adopting and foster instead?

My bun has had GI stasis. It cost us a lot of money but he got through it. I’m skeptical that this vet said he just wouldn’t make it after not eating for a day. It’s true that’s very serious but if he didn’t diagnose him with an underlying condition, I’m skeptical.

Hey I get that I tried my best but the fees of the vet were very high and the vet was like he’s seriously ill and the pet policy said if you purchase a pet and if he falls sick within 5 days we will pay for the vet costs and I called the pet store I wanted to keep the bunny but the initial cost was very high for vet care and I wasn’t sure if he’ll make it.

Hey I get that I tried my best but the fees of the vet were very high and the vet was like he’s seriously ill and the pet policy said if you purchase a pet and if he falls sick within 5 days we will pay for the vet costs and I called the pet store I wanted to keep the bunny but the initial cost was very high for vet care and I wasn’t sure if he’ll make it.
Exotic vet bills are really high. It’s something we all have to deal with. We had to dip into our savings once. Did the pet store pay for your vet bills?

the pet store said they’ll look after him they have their own vet that’s what they told me but I don’t think so he’s survive he was pretty bad didn’t eat for long... I hope he get better
They say that, but I'm still very hesitant to believe that they did not just put the rabbit down. I would end up calling back within the week and ask for an update on the rabbit. My guess they'll say that the rabbit was "adopted". Then I would ask to who, etc. The situation that this vet/pet store put you in still tells me red flags but I could be wrong. Trying to give the benefit of the doubt, but through personal experiences (mine or friends), I feel things went differently than what they were trying to tell you.

No they didn’t yet they said they’ll speak to the manger and get back.
I would definitely reach out within this week to confirm that they will cover the bill. Was it said over the phone? To them, it could all be hearsay and then someone will tell you that they did not hear of this verbal contract. This happened to a friend of mine and she had to fight them to pay for the bill.

I wouldn't trust these people. Maybe that's just me negatively reacting after what I've read from everyone else, but I wouldn't trust these people with my life. If I could, I would fly over there right now and stay until I get some answers, no matter what happens. For now, just follow the advice everyone else has given you, and fingers-crossed your bunny makes it.

When I adopted Frankie at Petsmart I had a similar situation. We adopted two rabbits. One of them was sick, I brought it to the vet and the vet said he doesn’t take care of sick animals. I was told to return the rabbit and request they take care of the rabbit before I take it back home. I demanded the Petsmart pay the vet bill. The bill was paid that day. I never got the other rabbit back. It’s sad to think it probably was put down. I know my significant other took it to heart when we had to send her back.

When I adopted Frankie at Petsmart I had a similar situation. We adopted two rabbits. One of them was sick, I brought it to the vet and the vet said he doesn’t take care of sick animals. I was told to return the rabbit and request they take care of the rabbit before I take it back home. I demanded the Petsmart pay the vet bill. The bill was paid that day. I never got the other rabbit back. It’s sad to think it probably was put down. I know my significant other took it to heart when we had to send her back.
What kind of vet doesn't take sick animals? Every doctor, human or veterinary, should take sick patients. A genuine person will take in a sick pet, that vet does not sound like they really care. Also, how do they expect to make money if they can't take in sick animals?

A vet who doesn’t take sick pets? That’s like a pianist who doesn’t play piano...

What kind of vet doesn't take sick animals? Every doctor, human or veterinary, should take sick patients. A genuine person will take in a sick pet, that vet does not sound like they really care. Also, how do they expect to make money if they can't take in sick animals?
He certainly not the same vet I go to now. But I believe he wanted to fix an ongoing problem at that Petsmart. Such as, the long term health of rabbits at the pet shop. After THAT incident, the pet shop stopped adopting out rabbits from that shelter and had stricter rules for adoption.

Back