New bunny not pooping or peeing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi so I got a new bunny 11 hours ago and he hasn’t pooped or peed yet he is eating hay but not pellets and he drank water too but hasn’t excreted anything yet... what should I do ? Or is this okay coz he’s new ?

Attachments

• 9884F173-6FA1-42F2-B88C-C80A78C35279.jpeg
    9884F173-6FA1-42F2-B88C-C80A78C35279.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 10
Hi so I got a new bunny 11 hours ago and he hasn’t pooped or peed yet he is eating hay but not pellets and he drank water too but hasn’t excreted anything yet... what should I do ? Or is this okay coz he’s new ?
Are you sure he hasn’t pooped yet? I would say feed him critical care, but if he’s eating by himself you shouldn’t need to. Maybe he has some sort of blockage? You should call your vet.

He's probably still very stressed from the huge change in his life, however, I would call a rabbit savvy vet and ask what should be done rather than push the critical care. Has it been extremely stressful since you've brought him home and he hasn't yet had an opportunity to get comfortable? Certainly, call your vet!

When it got dark in the room he came out and explored around and went back in he drank water and all.

He’s likely very stressed out. I would say just leave him alone for a day, aside from refilling his hay or water, or feeding him. Don’t try to play with him or pet him or get him out of his area to do anything. Letting him settle in a smaller area will be better for him also.

Make sure that he is eating and drinking still. It does sound very similar like he is getting Stasis, so I would recommend calling a rabbit savvy vet to be sure. How much hay is your rabbit actually eating?

Don’t feed Critical Care without a vets instructions, if you rabbit were to have a blockage and you used critical care it would/could make the problem worse.

I called the vet and she said he should poop by evening sometimes their bowl stops moving so they don’t excrete when stressed and in a new environment.

Sounds like GI Stasis. Don't worry. Your vet should be able to help alot. It is common for as bunny to go into GI stasis because of the stress of moving. I just have this great feeling that your bunny will live!

Hope he gets better I wasn’t able to sleep entire night but Observed him from my bed he did move around smelling stuff but most of the time he’s just hiding.

🚨update
So he has some serious GI stasis and the vet said we will need to monitor him and do tests as it was past 24 hours and he won’t eat anything so the vet and pet store has some partnership so she ringed them and they said to bring the bunny back to the store and they’ll deal with him and they gave me another bunny.... this was extremely heartbreaking as he was the first bunny I had and he was so calm and all I just loved him but I knew I won’t be able to care for him because it was pretty serious and I’m new to bunnies I wanted him to be in safe Hands and pray he will be okay...😔😔😔

🚨update
So he has some serious GI stasis and the vet said we will need to monitor him and do tests as it was past 24 hours and he won’t eat anything so the vet and pet store has some partnership so she ringed them and they said to bring the bunny back to the store and they’ll deal with him and they gave me another bunny.... this was extremely heartbreaking as he was the first bunny I had and he was so calm and all I just loved him but I knew I won’t be able to care for him because it was pretty serious and I’m new to bunnies I wanted him to be in safe Hands and pray he will be okay...😔😔😔
When you say it's pretty serious, did the vet basically tell you your rabbit was not going to make it through? I find it very...interesting that the pet store would ask for the rabbit back and just give you another one like it's no big deal. I don't want to jump to any conclusions but it sounds like your rabbit was let go. I'm not sure how Ireland is, but here where I'm at, there are some pet stores whom are notorious for not providing adequate care for animals in general and you unknowingly purchase a pet and end up with a large vet bill. That happened to my friend who adopted her puppy from a "legit" pet store. A week later, her pup had to be rushed to the ER because she had Parvo. The pet store never mentioned anything. Took $1,500+ from her and she landed with an even bigger vet bill. If you're able to, see if you can reach out to a rescue or a shelter instead where there are so many rabbits who deserves a good home as well.

Aw I’m sorry. I was actually in a similar situation with a rabbit that I had brought from petsathome just under a year ago. He got stasis which I didn’t know anything about and then he passed away. Pet stores don’t take very good care of their animals. I would look into some rabbit rescues, such as RSPCA, as their rabbits are guaranteed to be healthy.

Latest posts

Back