New bunnies - when to change their pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jinay

Reaction score
We just brought home two bunnies, they are 8 weeks old and I don't want to shock their tummies by changing up their current diet too soon. This is the feed the previous owner fed them (they did send us some home to feed them) but an internet search isn't bringing this up in my area. I believe she has it shipped to her as she purchases feed in large quantities (owns a farm). I'd prefer something I can find here in town, we live in Georgia so there are plenty of places to purchase feed and they all seem to carry the same brands.

Is anyone familiar with this brand and do you know something comparable?

1586092581889.png

Is there a certain period of time we should feed them this before slowly switching them over? What's your favorite for the little ones or does age really matter?

Hi! I would keep them on the feed that the breeder had given you because they are alfalfa based and you will need to transition into Timothy based pellets in a few months any way, at around 8 months, I think.
Age does matter when it comes to rabbit feed because baby rabbits eat Alfalfa based pellets or hay, and adult rabbits eat Timothy based pellets and hay. Baby rabbit eat alfalfa because it has higher levels of calcium and protein than Timothy hay which is for adults because they don’t need the same levels as a baby. Sorry, if I’m not explaining it properly.
My rabbit eats Science Selective Grain Free Rabbit Pellets at the moment.

Hi! I would keep them on the feed that the breeder had given you because they are alfalfa based and you will need to transition into Timothy based pellets in a few months any way, at around 8 months, I think.
Age does matter when it comes to rabbit feed because baby rabbits eat Alfalfa based pellets or hay, and adult rabbits eat Timothy based pellets and hay. Baby rabbit eat alfalfa because it has higher levels of calcium and protein than Timothy hay which is for adults because they don’t need the same levels as a baby. Sorry, if I’m not explaining it properly.
My rabbit eats Science Selective Grain Free Rabbit Pellets at the moment.
No that makes perfect sense, thank you! The breeder gave me what they used so I wouldn't have to go straight out and buy something but I didn't even think to ask about why she was using alfalfa and not timothy, etc. I think I can order a bag or two of this before we run out and see how long that lasts.

I would start to switch when there is one week worth of pellets left, by gradually mixing in the brand you will feed them, starting with 10% the first day, and increase that amount slowly.

You can switch to any hay based pellets, it's not like they really need alfalfa based ones, that's mostly marketing unless the goal is to get them to butchering weight asap.

Back