New biting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erica Harrod

Reaction score
I have a year old neutered mini Rex who is very tame, or was before we got him a friend. We got a male baby lionhead, they are doing great. My mini Rex is the dominant one, he mounts the baby, the baby is submissive. We will get him neutered in a few months.

My question is...
My mini Rex has started digging on me and nipping. Then just now he tried to bite me!

What can I do? I think it's aggression, but I want to nip it in the butt, lol.
Help

The presence of the other bunny is probably affecting your older rabbit's behavior. Male/male is not the ideal pairing. Introducing a baby to an adult isn't ideal either. The adult will always be dominant -- but only until the hormones of the baby kick in. Then all heck can break loose and they can fight-- even viciously.

Please be extra careful and keep a close eye. If you aren't there when those hormones kick in, you could come home to some serious injuries (or worse).

As for nipping you, I'd suggesting letting out a high-pitched yelp when he does it to let him know that isn't acceptable. You could also, immediately after he does it, push his head to the floor (gently but firmly) and hold for several seconds. This is similar to a mother rabbit's way of disciplining her young ones. Hold his head down and then release. He should get the message.

I agree! The pair may have some problems. Your Rex doesn't want another and younger male. Some buns when both in an older phase are ok to chill with their same gender, but often times especially because the baby is going to have some serious hormones soon. So yes please, be so careful. When my little boy started that behavior the high pitched squeel I let out tells him he hurt mommy. And I would also try positive re enforcement by giving him a nibble toy to toss to show him what he is allowed to bite.

Latest posts

Back