New at bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I got my first rabbit Fluffy Kiss (FK) over a year ago. A few months in my friend gave me their geriatric rabbit. They bonded instantly. He humped her right away and it was done. They were perfectly bonded. Unfortunately he passed last Saturday. I was at my moms for a few months when this happened. Since I was not at home for months with FK I figured it would be best to get FK a new friend ASAP because I figured my apartment would be neutral territory. So, the next day we picked up Binky from a rescue. At the rescue he chased her a little and went in the same crate as her and we took them home. Once home he was terrified, and the lady at the rescue said for us to let them interact when we got home. Well they fought so we separated them. I live in a small studio apartment. I have a 4 foot rabbit hutch with an attached fenced in area. Ideally, I would like both bunnies to be bonded so that I can let them both have access to the hutch and fenced area during the day when I'm out and free roam when I am home. However, because they are not bonded yet I have one in the hutch and one either fenced in or free roaming and I switch who gets the hutch about twice a day. They have no problems switching litter boxes, they sniff each other thru the cage, sometimes they mirror each other, or flop next to the cage. I have been doing bathtub bonding sessions which has led to a couple nips or fights. I do about 10 mins once or twice a day. I want to increase duration and frequency and eventually start pen bonding. Binky seems scared and thumps sometimes but FK could care less at this point. However, they both started off aggressive. Before tub sessions I went directly to pen sessions and there were a few fights. Now, she puts her head underneath him asking to be groomed. I am scared to advance their bonding because since no one groomed the other yet I'm afraid they are not ready. Plus Binkys thumps are concerning to me. For reference she is a year and a few months fixed for half a year ish and he is 6 months fixed for several weeks. What do you guys think? Is binky scared or angry? Am I moving too fast?

Thank you for your help I love my bunnies and I just want them to experience true love and free roam throughout my apartment together !

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230727_222001_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230727_222001_Gallery.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 0
sometimes having them on either side of a fence in their own enclosure works fine for bonding, where they can see and smell the other. I have done that with my rabbits, (having their pens right beside each other), it took about a month or 2 and then I would put one in with the other for a couple of minutes after about a month, and then gradually increase the time in the others cage (under a watchful eye to cut the fights).
Every Bun is different and some things may not work for the other. But that is what worked best for my buns.

I would definitely not rush them. It does sometimes take a couple of months, sometimes more. By the sounds of it you have been working with them for a while now.
yea, some Buns just take longer, and just give them time. Sometimes the older Bun also can be pretty bossy and dominant over the younger one. I had this problem about a month ago, but I worked on them gradually

Do you know more precisely when Binky was neutered? It can take as long as 6-8 weeks after surgery for hormones to fully settle.
The rescue said he may still have hormones in him for a couple weeks. Would this be making him more angry? Like the thumping and general unwillingness to groom her? Could this also cause FK to react as well? Thanks again

The rescue said he may still have hormones in him for a couple weeks. Would this be making him more angry? Like the thumping and general unwillingness to groom her? Could this also cause FK to react as well? Thanks again
Absolutely! I'd back off for now on any bonding attempts. No need to rush. If you don't have an exercise pen, I'd suggest getting one. They come in so handy for many uses for a rabbit owner. One use is right now. You could use one to create a second "cage area" near your existing cage. That way they can both get accustomed to each other's presence without any direct contact -- at least while his hormones settle down.

Attachments

• uses for an x-pen.jpg
    uses for an x-pen.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Yes thank you! I am going to take your advice and also take it slow for now. I am hopeful they will be bonded in a month or so! Thank you and I'm sure I'll have tons more questions as I go

Hi,

So I was transferring cages and Binky got access to FluffyKiss so I let it play out for a few seconds and she actually started grooming him! They started circling a little bit after about 30 seconds but it was a tight space so I just removed Binky and then tried to do a table bonding session for a couple minutes so that the experience would end on a high note. At that point FK just wanted her freedom but it was worth a shot lol.

So my question is, would Binky actually not accept grooming? Do bunnies ever dislike it or reject it?

Thanks in advance. I am happy that at least she is willing to groom, but I'm taking it slow regarding Binky's cooperation haha.

Hormonal rabbits can be unpredictable so no way to predict how he'll respond to grooming at any given moment. That unpredictability could confuse and frustrate FK. That's why it's a good idea to wait out those hormones.

Hormonal rabbits can be unpredictable so no way to predict how he'll respond to grooming at any given moment. That unpredictability could confuse and frustrate FK. That's why it's a good idea to wait out those hormones.
Ahh very interesting, thank you!!!

Back