Never thought I would end up here :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pill is 25.7 mg, but she takes half a pill. The ear drops are called Baytril Otic. And, I dont know how many of you have had to give a rabbit a pill, but its not easy whatsoever! It took me like 15 minutes for her to take it. She fought, scratched, nipped, I hope she doesnt associate me with the pill giver. She has started drinking from the water bottle and was using the water bowl for her pee pee, which means she will be easily litter box trained. :) Im heading to the pet store later and I wanted to pick some stuff up for her, are there any great bunny treats, toys or anything else I should look out for?

I called animal control today and left a message. I gave the lady's name, address, information and my information. Do you think they would call me back or just make the run to her house?

Well I dunno about Fl but here AC always call me back 1st so I can give then all the info they need.

I am elated u called AC...Kudos!!!!!!

Haha I should of called sooner, but I was trying to see if the lady was going to be remorseful, or anything close. She hasn't responded to my email, nor has she contacted me like she said she would. Soooo.. I'm not going to let her get off that easy. I mean, I can understand people might not have money because of the economy and their job situation, but dont get me wrong, its no excuse to let your animal suffer. I only work 4 days a week at a bar, so the money def. is not there for me, but I can at the least provide vet care, dry bedding and food. I probably would not have gone this route if she would of worked with me, or at least showed some concern, but she apparently doesn't care, and now I don't care when she gets a knock knock on the door :)

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html
If you look at this chart carefully you will find enrofloxicin (baytril) but you need to know her weight to find out the dosage.

i have never heard of giving a rabbit a straight pill.. would be afraid they would choke.

i have taken a piece of a baytril tab , placed it in a 1 cc syringe unbroken and then placed my finger at the tip of the syringe while I added a little juice, inserted the plunger carefully back into the syringe and refrigerate briefly. the pill will dissolve quickly in the syringe.

This can be tricky as I have lost pills doing this so be careful

actually have done this recently with Merlin my other rat

The typical dose for Baytril is 4.5mg/lb of bunny. So, half a pill is the correct dose for a bunny that is 2lb 12oz. I have never given pills to rabbits--it is supposed to be really hard, and that's why the liquid is preferred. Sometimes you can put the pill inside a raisin or something to hide it, but they usually can tell.

How are things going today? Is her temp down?

I'm glad you've called AC on her previous owner. Make sure you have very good documentation of her condition, including all vet reports, as they will probably want that info to determine the extent of a cruelty case.

angieluv wrote:
i have taken a piece of a baytril tab , placed it in a 1 cc syringe unbroken and then placed my finger at the tip of the syringe while I added a little juice, inserted the plunger carefully back into the syringe and refrigerate briefly. the pill will dissolve quickly in the syringe.

Can't you drop the pill in and replace the plunger, then just draw the juice up into the syringe? That usually works well for me. I have a mortar and pestle and find it works well to grind up the tablet before putting it in the syringe.

slavetoabunny wrote:
angieluv wrote:

Can't you drop the pill in and replace the plunger, then just draw the juice up into the syringe? That usually works well for me. I have a mortar and pestle and find it works well to grind up the tablet before putting it in the syringe.
yes which show how slowI am sometimes LOL

I have on authority of a reformed "bad kid" in high school (who's now no longer doing these things, IYKWIM) that you can crush pills easily between a quarter and a dollar bill. However, I would only use a clean quarter, and you'd have to use clean paper instead of a dollar bill (dirty). If you used copy paper or something, you could fold it into a little funnel to put into the syringe as well.

tonyshuman wrote:
I have on authority of a reformed "bad kid" in high school (who's now no longer doing these things, IYKWIM) that you can crush pills easily between a quarter and a dollar bill. However, I would only use a clean quarter, and you'd have to use clean paper instead of a dollar bill (dirty). If you used copy paper or something, you could fold it into a little funnel to put into the syringe as well.

:laugh:
I too know all about that! I can crush her pill and mix it with juice. That seems easier. Will she take it easier that way? Im afraid all the liquid wont make it in her mouth, because if part of the pill falls out, its easy to pick it up and put it back in her mouth.
I let her run all over the house today, she was very curious. She didnt want to go back in her cage, she tore me up when I tried to pick her up.:(

That's true, the way I get bunnies to take medicine is to put the top of the syringe behind the front teeth so they have no choice but to swallow it.

Latest posts

Back