Never thought I would end up here :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, the veggies and especially that much carrot may be the culprit, although she probably had sugary bits in her bagged food.

I'd really push the hay. And maybe grass if she was being kept outdoors, but just pull a bit of it, it breaks down really fast. Do you have pellets?

When did she last poop?

sas :expressionless

rattatrattery wrote:
Sorry, Ive kinda dragged it out to more than an introduction. :/ I still dont know my way too well around the forum!

LOL! Nope, I'm the one who got off track, your post was where it was supposed to be.

Did I say welcome to RO? LOL!

I'll do that if you cut n' paste your original post back to Introductions.

sas :)

She pooped a little circle on my carpet.. haha. I thought it was funny there poops are circles. I know im dumb! haha! I put more hay in there even though she only ate like 1/4 of what I gave her and also added some parsley and romaine. Its so cute, every time I walk in my room she greets me through the cage. But, she did nip at my leg, scared me more than anything. She kept nudging my stomach and at my pockets then chomp! I also put the water bowl in there, I haven't seen her touch it yet. I bought Mazuri pellets but haven't introduced those yet. Now that I know she is a permanent resident, Ill be ordering Oxbow, same as the guineas.

I think she was checking you out to see if you were edible. My guys do that. The neck thing is called a dewlap.

At this point I'd hold off on the veggies--you don't want to give too many if her tummy's not used to them.

I'm not sure if this was discussed, but bunnies have a dewclaw like dogs do--the 5th nail on the inside of the front foot doesn't touch the ground normally and can be a bit weird looking. But I'll be interested to know what the vet says.

Well, I've seen Pipp drink maybe three times in five years. (Unless I spike the water with juice). But some of my other guys need their bowls refilled twice a day, so there isn't really a 'normal'. The more hay they eat the more they seem to drink.

I'd go easy on the veggies. Its good she's eating hay.

If the poops were nice, round, dry and healthy, she should be okay. The nipping could be food aggression. My last three rescues came from neglected situations, and they go nuts over the produce and treats. They bite first and check it out later. "Oh wait, that tastes like meat."

sas :biggrin2:

The toe that is messed up is like in the middle, and it just moves is positions and twists like it shouldn't. I'm glad she didn't draw blood, because I know it sucks getting bit by a rat or guinea pig, but I haven't been bitten by a rabbit and I don't want to! I had her out running in my room, it took some effort in trying to talk her out of the cage, but she finally did it. She didn't want to go back in either. Since she had the confidence to come out on her own once, she jumps out on me every time the cage is opened. She is such a character.
Depending on what the vet says about the toe, I'm not going to make her go through surgery unless she is getting spayed, then they could remove the toe then. I need to make a list of everything to ask so I don't forget anything!

All of my rabbits have been very gentle, more so than my array of GP's, gerbils, hamsters, etc.

None of my 20+ bunnies have ever made me nervous. They almost never break skin. The ones that grunt and charge just sort of put their teeth on you, but they don't bite.

Except maybe Scooter. He nipped and chased the rescue person, she jumped in the bathtub to get away from him and he jumped in after her. But he was a most unusual rabbit. :biggrin2: (I loved that little guy). :(

The bite I've had is when a food aggressive girl thought my finger was a carrot. She wouldn't let go. But it wasn't a bad bite, I don't think there teeth are designed to do much damage. They kick their predators more so than bite.

sas :bunnydance:

My girl that was in a neglect situation LOVES veggies too. I have to feed her and her boyfriend pellets first, then come back and feed the morning veggies after the pellets are mostly gone, or she won't eat any pellets.

I think you have a good plan for her health care. Please keep us updated--this is such a sweet rescue story that is really heartwarming to hear. :bunnydance:

A lot of times biting is to investigate what things are. If it's meant to scare you off, there will be boxing and grunting with it, in my experience. I've dealt with a few cage aggressive bunnies (we have one as well) and they grunt, thump, and box if you invade their space before they chomp on you. Our cage-aggressive bunny also bites if you hold her on your chest--that's how she bit the vet tech when she was on her way to being spayed. Now I know to carry her with her head away from my body.:biggrin2:

I just wanna say WOW... she looks 110% better!!!! She sounds like an absolute doll too!! I sure hope you end up liking bunnies from your experience with her. They are quite funny little guys, who really like to kick up their heels. And if you see her do a funny little hop, it might just be a binky!!

Also wanted to add "good luck" with the vet visit!!!!

i have to say good luck if you dont send a mean letter i dont know if i could hold off once i got her better,lol.

I have been bit by only one rabbit and he is a baby, or was a baby when he bit me, but i still love him i just learn to be very quick in his space,lol.

she looks so much better already i hope she keeps improving

Thanks for the kind wishes! We are about To leave for the vet. I do love her already even though I was never a rabbit person, she had me loving her already! But, since she is so quiet, it makes me think she is depressed. The guinea pigs scream and talk to me all day so maybe that's just what I'm use to. Haha. She just seems so sweet n gentle. So much for the plan of keeping her temporarily. I should of known that I would get attached!

That's awesome... good luck!!! Rabbits are pretty quiet in general, esp. during the day. They are most active during dawn and dusk... as they would be in the wild.

Just got home. The vet said he thinks her toe is something wrong genectically, that her foot never fully formed. She has puss sacs down in her ears, (he showed me and it was bad!) She has a fever it was 104 something. He said she has pasteurella. I havent done any research yet on it. She was give baytril pills and baytril ear drops.

Hmmm... That makes sense, but the baytril isn't going to be enough to treat it. An injectible antibiotic is much better, or one that is stronger. Many rabbit pasturella strains are resistant to baytril. Also, a more rabbit-savvy vet will have liquid baytril on hand because the pills are usually not tasty for rabbits--they're made for dogs and cats and taste like liver. The ear drops probably won't help a lot either. I would have liked to see the protocol for an ear infection to be injectible penicillin G benzathine/procaine, and zithromax or chloramphenicol orally.

Where did you find the vet? Are you happy with them for rat care? They may not be quite as good at rabbits as they should be. In addition, she should have a probiotic for when she's on an antibiotic, to keep the good gut microbes in balance. The one we recommend most is Bene-Bac.

I just switched to this vet because the exotics vet I was going to is really clueless. It took me 35 minutes to get there. There arent too many options where I live. I wish I knew more so I could of asked him. He said she will prolly have to be on baytril for 3 months. But, the pasturella might never clear up? Ive only seen him once before this visit for one of my guinea pigs two days ago. My sister recommended him to me bc I was having so many problems with my vet. But, I payed alot for all that baytril, and im not happy that it wasnt the best choice...

Oh, and they had liquid baytril because they gave me liquid baytril for my rat today also.. I dont know why they wouldnt give me liquid for the bunny?

I just read your story and I have to say you're a great person for taking Shay in. Thank you! She's adorable. Hope she gets better soon.

This is a wonderful site. Everyone was so helpful with advice and suggestions when my Baci was sick.

Latest posts

Back