Never thought I would end up here :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe she took the bunny off of it, but it was 2 pics of Shay sitting in puddles of pee and poop, and it appears that her fur is curly, but its all matted up to her. My sister made another discovery. Her front toes are broken. She was looking at her feet, because her nails are so overgrown (within the inches) and her toes are like detached, they move all the way up, like its hanging by the skin. I guess the vet bill tomorrow is going to be astronomical. Oh well, she is worth it! I really want to email this lady and tell her how horrible she is for letting Shay suffer and how much money im spending on her animal that she neglected.. But sometimes if you dont have anything nice to say.. you shouldnt say it at all. :)

MagnoliaDee wrote:
... as an unspayed female has an 80+% chance of developing cancer.

Actually, that stat should read: 'developing uterine tumours', they're not always cancerous, but they can go that way.

The vet may have trouble knowing if she's spayed, I'd do your best to get info from the previous guardian, otherwise you may end up having to pay for an ultrasound or open her up needlessly.

What is she eating? Did you get some food from the person you got her from? You want to avoid sudden diet changes.

Was she out on the grass? And/or being fed pellets? What brand? Veggies? Hay and grass (although not a lot of the latter at once, especially wet grass) is good in any case. If she's not used to veggies, you have to be careful.

And rabbits shouldn't be too plump, they're healthier when they're a little lean, but she doesn't look 'slim and trim', she looks skinny and neglected.

Just take it slow.

I think she's a gorgeous little broken fawn mini-lop, but the breeders here will know better.

sas :clover:

I was given 1/8 of a bag of some brand Ive never heard of. She was randomly fed iceburg lettuce. She was fed minimal timothy hay. She LOVES pumpkin seeds, she even does a trick for them. Im really worried about the whole thing, because everyone has said how sensitive their tummies are and I dont know what she has been fed or any information. She ate some romaine lettuce that had some water on it, but she refuses to drink out of the water bottle. I tried to pinch the skin behind her neck but i couldnt get any, maybe cuz she is thin. Hopefully the vet is going to be a huge help tomorrow.

I could be wrong but I don't think pumpkin seeds is a "good thing" for bunnies..?
Switching her to healthy good bunny food may be too much of a shock for her so be sure to go slowly so her digestive system can adjust. Even though she's not eating well, to flip a switch would be too much. I'd try to get her some high fiber timothy based pellets for her right away and start to incorporate a little with the 1/8 bag you have left of whatever she's eating, then step it up every couple days until she's totally switched to something good.

Hay would definitely be good - I know some buns have a hard time eating if they haven't been in the habit of getting it. Some buns love it and take it up right away.

Iceberg lettuce is just crunchy water. It doesn't offer any significant nutritional value to a bun, so I wouldn't bother with that. Start her one veg at a time, to make sure she takes it ok, give her some bunny safe veggies like romaine, kale... If she's not drinking, sprinkle some water on top of the greens if she likes to eat greens.

Her eating routine may just be adjusting... if she's not eating/drinking at all then it might be concerning. If she's just nibbling a bit, it is probably normal adjustment period funk working itself out.

She is so pretty and adorable in your 2nd picture. I am really amazed at how much better she looks in your care. Poor baby's toes... it's so sad to read that she was so neglected. It made me pretty mad to read about her condition. Her previous owner should get some kind of reprimanding for her animal neglect.....:( :( :(

The pumpkin seeds came out of the treat section from petsmart, it's meant for guineas and bunnies but that doesn't mean it's healthy. I was just tryn to get her to eat something. I did give her the romaine, dnt have kale at the moment. I can't wait for her to feel better and start acting like a happy healthy girl. But, atleast we are on the right path. I'm totally new to the whole bunny thing but hopefully I'll get into the groove of things soon! Tomorrow do u think they will have to do xrays on her foot with the broken toes?

Try giving her a crock of water and add a little apple juice to flavor it and see if that won't help.

Pumpkin seeds is really not good for her so better to get her some nice fresh green timothy hay.
Also if you know what she has been eating you need to introduce other foods (hay is OK) slowly and carefully as rabbits have very sensitive GI tracts.

The woman who owned her should be prosecuted for animal abuse :X

Thank God you saved her!:hug:

Well, id hope if anyone saw or knew there was an animal suffering, they would do something about it. Like I said before, Im not a bunny person but seeing her in that condition made her a magnet, and it became a mission to get her. I didnt make any plan, I just knew I needed to get her out of there fast. I also have 3 guinea pigs (1 being pregnant from a shelter, they have a c&c or NIC cage which takes up alot of room, and 3 rats so my room is kinda full. Im going to have to do some rearranging for her to have a NIC cage, but its going to happen! I would also love to have an outside hutch or some kind of playpen that is covered (the hawks are bad around here)so she could enjoy a couple of hours outside and some grass. But, it would only be like an hour or two at a time. Ive noticed whatever food she was being fed (already threw the bag out! ugh!) that she doesnt seem to want to eat it. I know its a poor mix. I think I figured the water bottle thing out.. I know I saved pics of her cage, I just have to find them! She had puddles of what was a mix of rain water and pee, and I think thats how she had water.. so Im going to try the water bowl and apple juice idea! Ill let you know how that goes! and If I find those pics Ill upload them!

When did she last eat to your knowledge? Not to alarm you, but rabbits not eating can be really serious.

Too bad the vet appointment was put off, they can give you some Critical Care to syringe feed her with if necessary. Can you get some canned pumpkin asap to have on hand?

sas :?

PS: With the nails clipped, the toes should heal on their own. Normally I'd suggest a pain killer, but she needs a health check first and it can't be taken if she's not eating and drinking.

sas

Don't put a lot of apple juice in the bowlbut top it off with apple juice like cream in coffee. too much sugar is bad forher

why don't you start some new posts on her in the Infirmary secrion (health area) andgeneral area also ;)

Ive seen her eat romaine, hay, carrot, and some pumpkin seeds. She picked through the food she was being fed by the previous owner. The only canned pumpkin I know about is pie filling?

I found those pictures I was talking about. Im sure this is how she drank.. through those puddles..
3ka3ma3p35Tf5S85Rd99lef4046573b5719.jpg

3o93pc3l05Tc5P25R999l0d38a8909f2012.jpg

This is how she was advertised, which I cant believe someone would post pics like this of their animals.

Here are some pics I just took of her.
Her front paw here is the one with the for sure detached toe, kinda gross, it sticks up and turns. :(
Picture380.jpg

Was is all that extra skin called? My cousin has a bunny with an extra chin looking thing, but hers in more on her chest.
Picture384.jpg

Here you can see where she is missing hair on her neck.
Picture387.jpg

My pretty girl.
Picture385.jpg

The pie filling is pre-sweetened with sugar, but most stores should have plain canned pumpkin. People use it to make pies and soups, not sure what else one would do with it. It's the same as the pie-filling, just without sugar and spices.

How much hay has she eaten? Did you say she was munching on grass? How much romaine?

Was the bag of food all plain pellets or did it have seeds and bits of colored things like dried fruit?

And the big question... is she pooping and do the poops seem pretty normal?

sas :clover:

I put a hand of hay in her cage, she munched on a little, there is still some in there. She had 1.5 carrots, a couple of big leafs of romaine.. and the pumpkin seeds. The pellet food had some bits in it, maybe dried carrots? It was like 1 in the morning when I set the cage up and put her food in there.. I dont remember what else was in that pellet food. Her poop is sometimes little balls but then she had really soft poop like what a cat or dog would have. I think thats from the fresh food because I dont think she was ever given that.

Should I put more romaine in with her? what about parsley? I have that too. I also have one of those "salad bowls" that they make for rabbits and guineas. Its the hay with the dried carrots, should i offer that?

Oops, this has all been in Introductions. I should have redirected the info ages ago. :embarrassed:

I'll move it the the Infirmary, and maybe you can repost your Introduction?

Sorry!

She is looking a hundred times better already. :)

sas :bunnydance:

Sorry, Ive kinda dragged it out to more than an introduction. :/ I still dont know my way too well around the forum!:highfive:

Latest posts

Back