Never saw myself as a “rabbit person”..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPDbq

Reaction score
Just wanted to finally create an account and say Hello after lurking for the last month or so! My SO has had several rabbits as pets, so they were the logical choice for my animal-crazy daughter. Yet, somehow I’ve gotten hooked on the furballs and am enjoying having them as members of the family.
Here are Totoro (neutered male, not sure what you’d call his color with all the crazy names, I tell him he’s brown and we move on.) and Ponyo (female, black markings).
I figured they’d be like any other small animal and live in a cage in a room and be nice to look at and pet. I never expected to have two crazy knuckleheads who think they are dogs playing fetch, cuddling till they fall asleep, and following me around everywhere. I don’t know if its a breed thing or if we just got blessed with two great personalities. There’s been a lot to learn and I thank you all for the many great informative threads, you’ve been very helpful.7C29BD7E-882D-4A8F-9B50-261498D20FAD.jpeg 989F0D6A-DB2E-4E18-A239-5C5763104DF2.jpeg

Welcome to the forum! They are super cute! Their markings look like they are English Spot rabbits.

I love the names Totoro and Ponyo! Always thought Kiki would be a great bun name too.

Welcome to the forum! They are super cute! Their markings look like they are English Spot rabbits.
I wasn’t positive at first, as I discovered a lot of breeds with broken markings can look similar (and I see a lot of owners who think they have ESpots be told otherwise). But Totoro has a very nice herringbone down his back and they are so arched and racy when they move, I’ve become pretty positive they are what we were told they are. They could be mutts for all we care, the most amazing temperament and personalities. I’ve never had a pet so relaxed that they go to sleep while getting their nails trimmed.
B76CB647-F04B-42C2-BDB8-ABA351B0DA60.jpeg

Welcome to the forum!
Rabbits are definitely unique pets and much different than many assume (as you've discovered)!

The last photo of your rabbit on its back -- he's not sleeping. That is actually considered trancing and is a debated topic among rabbit owners. Here's an article on the subject:
http://www.hopperhome.com/trancing_rabbits.htm [ shoot! just checked this and the website is under construction. I'll see if I can find any alternate link]
Some will still do it just for nail clipping. Others think differently.

EDIT: ok, here is an alternate article
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/trancing/

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
Rabbits are definitely unique pets and much different than many assume (as you've discovered)!

The last photo of your rabbit on its back -- he's not sleeping. That is actually considered trancing and is a debated topic among rabbit owners. Here's an article on the subject:
http://www.hopperhome.com/trancing_rabbits.htm [ shoot! just checked this and the website is under construction. I'll see if I can find any alternate link]
Some will still do it just for nail clipping. Others think differently.

EDIT: ok, here is an alternate article
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/trancing/
That’s crazy, I had just mentioned to my SO the other day that when Ponyo cuddles up and rolls over to get her belly scratched it is almost like tonic immobility in sharks cuz she just completely relaxes all her muscles, sometimes keeps her eyes open and sometimes closed. When you stop, it takes her a sec but she flips back over and gives her head a shake and goes right back to flopping all over you. Thank you very much for the info, her last nail clipping was impromptu during one of these belly scratching sessions. We’ll see if she doesn’t mind trying it while sitting up next time, I can play with her toes whenever without it bothering her, so maybe!

Your girl is called Broken Black. Your boy is Broken Chesnut Agouti. I wouldn't say they are Full English Spot if they are siblings because Chesnut Agouti is not a recognized color in that breed. Also, I saw that you have your boy neutered but you didn't say if you had her spayed or not. If not I would highly recommend it because after 3-4 years they have an 80% chance of getting uterine cancer.

welcome to the Hutch! Both of your buns look absolutely beautiful. I've found with small animals that the more you put in the more they give back with personality and rabbits have Rabbitude in spades given half the chance to bloom into it. Sounds like your family is doing it right!

Hi,
I am very new here too. I have had buns for 25 years or so. End of 80ies, we had them in a little cage outside, over the years there were more buns and Guineapigs, and in the end half of the garden was full of animals.
Now I live in a falt, and have my bunnies freeroam in the flat. I think they are great personalities, everybunns is different from each other. In my experience they are much more personalities than Guinea pigs.

Back