Never Forget

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seniorcats

Reaction score
God Bless America! Never forget the heroes and those who died on September 11th.
Thanks to the brave Canadians who came down to NY to be first responders. I will never forget those who brought their teams of rescue dogs to find survivors. Thanks to many other nations and their outpouring of sympathy and help.
I often think of the heroic actions of those on Flight 93 who fought back against the terrorists. They saved many lives and gave their own.

american%20flag.jpg

And also remember the 184 victims who where killed at the Pentagon where American Airlines Flight 77 crashed.

A sad day in the history of the United States that has made us a stronger nation.

Pam

it's sad stuff.

i was about 7 when it happened and mom kept me sheltered from the video's of it and stuff. i rememer i was ticked 'cuz i couldn't watch my tv show during dinner:shock:. i didn't really understand what was going on..............................

I was in grade 4 , or 5 when that happend. The school board had just donated a few tv's to our school and we were watching the AV guys hook them up. Our teacher was explaining that the TV's were for video, and learning perposes only, even though they had cableit was not needed. Right when the guy had finished, the principle came on the intercom and told all teacher's with a tv to turn to channel 8. We figured it out and the teacher did as she was told and turned to our local news station .. It definitly wasn't a happy sight. Our teacher was holding herself against a desk, pretty much in tears. And the student had absolutly no clue what was happening.

My mom's friend was just in a tower. He worked for Atlas van lines , a moving company and he was just finished transfering a office. He was about 10 minutes from a tower, Pretty scary. ( imagine if he would of gotten a red light, while on his way to a tower )

We lost afew people from my town and quite a number from surrounding towns. It was a rough time. I now know some of the families. What a shame. I hope we never forget.

I remember having the news on before my 3rd grade daughter caught the bus. I did what I could to keep her from seeing more than the first plane, but she was traumatized for years. She had nightmares and problems. And we didn't dare go on a plane....

Godkeep the people that didn't make it... and God bless the people that worked so hard to look for survivors. (Several of my neighbors, NYC firemen, were there for days and days.) They are hero's forever.

I think that everybody remembers where they were and what they were doing that day when the news broke...

I had just finished watching a program on TV with my then-boyfriend and the news interrupted the schedule. I spent the rest of the day watching, crying. I worked in a supermarket at the time and when I went in that evening, there were people and staff crowded round the TV screens in the electrical department, glued to what was going on...

I'll think of those familes that lost loved ones today.... What a horrible, tragic event :(

:pink iris:

mouse_chalk wrote:
I think that everybody remembers where they were and what they were doing that day when the news broke...
Isn't it amazing how people remember just where they were and what they were doing?

Art had visited his mom up in New Hampshire and arrived home on the bus in D.C. about 2 am that morning. We were living on Andrews AFB - and I was supposed to go out and merchandise that morning - but I was putzing around -just couldn't seem to get motivated to get my rear out the door. I told Art, "I'm gonna have a cup of coffee to get me going..." and we listened to the radio as the coffee brewed in the kitchen. I heard about the first plane hitting and told Art about it - mentioning that I wondered if it was terrorists. When the second plane hit (while I was having my coffee) - I said, 'That's it...I'm staying home today.' and I was sure glad I did as I heard later that cars were backed up outside the front gate for 6 hours or so - trying to get back onto the base.

The interesting thing is that our cable was down - we'd had a bad lightening strike a few days earlier and the tv had gone off...I'd never turned it back on....so we weren't able to watch the tv - only read on the internet and listen to the radio. In some ways, I'm really really happy for that though - I think it would have been really hard to see those images again and again.

We had two people in our church who worked at the Pentagon...one woman was due to be in a meeting in that area that got hit...but she got to work...got violently ill in the parking lot (throwing up) - and turned around and went home.

Someone else she worked with - also due to be in a meeting or something in that area - wore new shoes to work that day...but realized while partly there that they were too uncomfortable - so he turned around and went back home to change his shoes. The meeting wasn't scheduled till after the plane hit - but he still would've been in the same general vicinity while he waited/prepared for the meeting.

One thing I really remember from that time - was hearing the planes take off from the base all the time - the fighters that were in the sky to protect us. A friend from our Bible study (an older woman) mentioned how much it scared her to hear those fighters ... and she said she got a new perspective of it when I said that I found it comforting to know that it was OUR planes in the air - at all times - watching out for us.

What happened in NYC was really really devastating - but for me - as a military wife - the fact that the Pentagon was hit really shook me up even worse. Somehow - the Pentagon always seemed "safe" to me - like it was unable to be attacked. Its strength represented safety...somehow. Its hard to explain. So that attack was probably more devastating for me personally than the others.

For a while after the attacks - we couldn't get our mail on base - nor packages from UPS, Fed Ex, etc. I remember because we were waiting to receive tickets for a train trip to Chicago and they did not come in time for the trip thanks to the tightened security on base.

For reasons I can't go into here - I still believe in my heart of hearts that Andrews AFB was also a target....I think we lived in the closest house to the flightline and....well....I'll just always believe that we might've been a target had there been another plane. I know that originally I think there was some speculation that perhaps we were a target.

Anyway - I will never forget 9/11. I think our world (here in the U.S.) really changed that day.

I also want to say that to those who were in Canada and overseas - I'm so happy for the support we received and the comfort we received at the time. I remember hearing about flights being diverted to Canada I think - and how the people welcomed the Americans and tried to make them comfortable.

Jonas Panik, a young man from my hometown, and a Naval Academy graduate, lost his life that day at the Pentagon. His grandma, who died before 9/11, had been our neighbor, so we always had kept up with his comings and goings. The world lost many of it's finest that day, and I know that we will never forget how the world changed. I just wanted to add my thanks to all those who cared for the survivors and for the families of those who didn't survive. Their sacrifice was enormous, and is still appreciated!

When it happened, I called my dad, who was a WWII vet, and asked, kind of hysterically, what we should do. He calmly said, "Do what you would've been doing today. What the terrorists want is for us to stop our lives and let them have control. Honor those who died and who are fighting to save those who might still be alive by living today to the fullest." May we always honor those sacrifices by living each day as best we can.

I was sitting in my Nans car outside the Doctors while she went to pick up my Grandads prescription. There was a green bush next to me and the bricks were really brown. We listened to it on the radio, I didn't really understand.

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

Oops, that was me posting earlier, not Mr. Stee.:shock:

I was working at the library at my college. I opened it at 7 am, and after a while we noticed people were acting funny and the place was unusually empty. Someone from another department came up- she listens to the radio while working and heard the first news. The university set up tv stations everywhere in the hallways and lounges so we could watch the news, and my supervisor was letting us all go and watch in shifts of 15 minutes. At first we had no idea what was going on, if it was just a terrible accident or what. Then I saw the second plane hit.

I know a lot of people remember where they were when President Kennedy was assassinated. I think this is one of those events that just hits so many people so hard that you'll never forget it.

On the plus side, this is also a happy day for me because Sept. 11, 2005 was when I rescued Fey and Sprite. So there is some happy and some sad for me.

naturestee wrote:
Oops, that was me posting earlier, not Mr. Stee.:shock:

haha, i was womdering who this person was as i hadn't seen him around at all:biggrin2:

now i know i'm not crazy:D!

God Bless America!! I can't believe it has been 7 years since this happned, it feels like it could have been yesterday.

I know people who are still trying to learn how to cope with the losses and that they weren't there and maybe were supposed to be.....

It's difficult to think about for me still.

I keep thinking of the people on the plane.... how they knew it was happening and they sacrificed themselves in order to take down those terrorists on board with them.

All heros.

I was at work, listening to a local talk show on my headphones, when the news came on and they reported that a small aircraft had hit the Twin Towers. I have absolutely no idea why, esp. since their first report was partly incorrect - they'd said it was a small aircraft - but as soon as I heard, a chill went right through me and I thought, 'omigod...something huge is happening'. And then about 15 minutes later they updated their first report, but in the middle of their update the news broke about the second airplane hitting. I remember almost panicking...I had two friends in a forum I used to go to, one lived in NYC and the other worked for the gov't in and around D.C. My first thought was to try and contact them through the forum to see if they were okay, and then I went around telling people at work what was happening. It was frustrating because no one seemed to have any idea of the magnitude of it...they would just say, 'Really?' and then go back to what they were doing. Then I called my son, who was still in bed, and said, "Turn on the tv to CNN...something bad is happening".

The friend I knew in NYC lived just down the street from the fire station that lost the most men that day, and several tenants in his building lost their lives as well. The friend in the D.C. area...he wound up staying at his work for several hours along with all of his colleagues, as their building went into immediate lockdown and no one was allowed to enter or leave. He said that all they had on hand was a portable radio, and at first the reports coming across the wire was that many gov't buildings were being bombed by terrorists; so you can just imagine the panic for those who were locked inside.

When I got home that evening, my son still had the tv on and was still watching CNN. I couldn't bring myself to watch any more than a few moments; it was just too painful. And by then we knew the full horror of what had taken place.

What still amazes me to this day though, is the incredible strength of people; so many putting their own lives in jeopardy to help others; so many opening their homes and their hearts.

So many heroes...

So many Heros!:balloons:

Also, to make a rememberence of this date, 7 years ago, and remember those families who lost loved ones...:pray:

It is such a shame to watch the footage taken on that day... So sad...:(

I know I'm thinking of you tonight...:hug:

I watched the special that was on History Channel tonight, about 9/11. It was quiite cool, but so sad...:(

Did anyone watch?

I think that anyact of terrorism, war or attack on peopleis tragic enough, but 9/11 was on such a vast scale that it had a profound effect on people. I was only 11 at the time and I remember not being able to get my head around how anybody could be as evil to commit such a sickening act. The TV footage of the towers collapsing still sends shivers through me.:(

My thoughts are withthose poor people who lost their lives, and those left behind.:pink iris:

Back