neutering?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With males you should wait until the testicles descend. This can happen at 3 months, but most vets wait until 4 or 5 months to do it. You would need to ask your vet about what they do and maybe get a check up to see if he is ready for it.
It can be more costly and invasive to neuter before the testicles have descended. The vet would need to go in and find the testicles rather than just take them out.

Some vets also like to wait until rabbits are a certain size so they are more likely to handle the anesthesia well. This might not be an issue for a large breed, but for a dwarf waiting until 5 or 6 months can make a difference. My vet wouldn't neuter my holland lop until 5 months, even though his testicles had descended at 2 months because she wanted him to be bigger (he went from 2lbs to almost 4lbs in those 3 months).

Thanks :) I'm not sure how much my rabbit weighs. He is three months old and is a Flemish Giant. He is on the large size though. I think I'll take him in within the next two weeks to get checked out and take it from there.

I certainly hope that the stories are true and that it helps the litter training because this boy just doesn't get it :(

Tris, neutering and spaying really do help. Kimiko used to poop and pee, mostly poop, occasionally outside her litter box, but after spaying she slowly stopped doing that. I can guarantee that it works with me and it will work with you boy too. It just takes some times after the operation, but the result is worth to wait. :)

Thanks Vircia. :)
It appears Phineas has hit puberty which would explain his brattiness I think :p He humped my cat ( the declawed one) he wouldn't leave her alone! First time ever that he has done that.
I'm going to go ahead and book the checkup and the neuter.
I'm still scared to neuter BunBun due to his still furless ear. The minute he has all his fur back, he's going in too :)

Neutering will definitely help!

Since he's already big, I don't think most vets would have a problem neutering him right away if he's all ready in the boy bits department.

Keep in mind that he is still young yet, the littertraining will be better/easier when he is older. Being a giant breed, Flemmies develop more slowly than a lot of other breeds so he will be thinking like a baby for longer than most bunnies. Personally, I would wait until four months to neuter, but if he has dropped your vet may be ok with it.

Latest posts

Back